strumming without a pick....plz help

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by uj_6string, Feb 6, 2006.

1. uj_6string

uj_6string Nickelodean Addict :D

hey guys!
    i want to know how to strumm without a pick(plectrum)
    2 reasons-
    1)i keep losing my pick.:mad:
    2)i wanna know anyhow...
    my guitar sir told me that while strumming down...u use the nail of your index finger...and while coming up....u use the nail of your thumb...i was not able to do it properly.....
    it would be really nice if anyone could suggest me some techniqes and give some advice.....
    waiting for responses....
    thankz
    uj:rock:

2. probuddha

probuddha Aspiring Guitarist

For strumming down..use your thumb and for strumming up use your index finger.

But one thing you should know that the sound produced by strumming with your hand will be blunt than that produced by using plecs.

3. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Anything more than that much of advice can only be a picture.
    Guess you need a demo.
    Why dont u ask your guitar sir to display what he said, it is not that difficult?

4. UjSen

UjSen *#!EVIL*!!

ur fingers should be in O
    posture>
    u knoe (like wen u meditate)
    so that the tip of ur index and thumb touch

Then strum away!!!!!!!!!

5. Nanda

Nanda Bassist

dood .. read ur siggy ...... Probably u shud try to steal more and give points to others and ask for reps ........

And with ur fingers ,,, Its better if u see it than read it ... So why dont u watch a video or a guy playing properly ...

6. uj_6string

yaar....i agree with you....
    the sound produced will be different...
    but i wont call it blunt...
    it has a different feel altogether.....:beer:

7. uj_6string

@alpha1 and nanda-.....i have a class in a couple of days...i'll ask him then...thankz for replying...i agree with both of u
    @uj-i did as u told....and i think itz working....thankz man!!!
    and my thankz to probuddha too....thankz yaar.....
    any more suggestions???

8. har1s

har1s <b>Untitled</b>

for a soft sound... keep ur thumb parallel to the strings...n use it for strumming up and down...

n for a plectrum like sound....i use ur sir's method...works fine for me... :)

uj_6string likes this.
  9. gogol

gogol New Member

That's what I think!!!

I totally agree with har1s's suggestion! And you are absolutely correct about the sound; it ain't blunt, however softer!!!

I don't know whether it would help, but no matter what you strum with, pick or fingers, keep the muscle below your little finger very much relaxed! Because the moment you use that muscle to strum-up, it sounds cracking(bad) and your hand gets strained! So keep the wrist relaxed!

When you strum, you might get stuck at some difficult bits as they are mixed up(like the one in "Behind blue Eyes")! A fair suggestion would be to slow down your tempo and practice accurating the pattern in that tempo and then slowly increase the speed!!!

One other thing, if you use a pleck and want to strum very fast, use nylon picks which are too much flexible and bends almost 360 degree. They help me strum faster!!! Hope will help you, too!!!

That much from me!

Bye,
    Ankur!!! :p:

uj_6string likes this.
  10. metal_fan69

metal_fan69 To Live Is To Die

hav u tried with ur nails? ..... no.... just kidding!

11. probuddha

probuddha Aspiring Guitarist

Friend, what I meant by blunt was that it will have a softer tone than that produced by strumming with a plec. I know it has a different feeling altogether and I love that soft mellow sound. I love to play it that way when I am playing the chords along with a soft lead.

Cheers !! :)
    Probuddha

12. Side_Show_Joy

Side_Show_Joy New Member

uj_6string likes this.
  13. uj_6string

thankz a lot man....itz working....

14. uj_6string

hmm...i will surely go there....not right now...but later.....thankz a lot for giving me the link....reps for u...

15. uj_6string

thankz a lot for your suggestions.....!!
    yes...i need to work on my strumming....my hand getz strained as u said....the muscle under my little finger.....i am working on that.....
    i totally agree with u....to practice hard strumming....u need to practice it at a low tempo first.....
    and yup....i preffer using nylon picks....totally flexible...:beer:
    once again...thankz a lot....u have really givin me some good suggestions....reps for u:rockon:
    uj:rock:

16. har1s

har1s <b>Untitled</b>

u r welcome @ uj_6string... :)

17. johnny_flamenco

johnny_flamenco New Member

If you are using a classical or Flamenco guitar, I suggest you strum down with the middle finger, and strum up with the thumb. Keep your wrist very loose. The weight of the wrist is enough to swing the middle finger down in an even motion. Practice the doun up strokes every day. When you get comfortable, you can then use a clapping motion with the fleshy part of you palm to give you a beautiful sensation

18. subheet

subheet Member

I use my middle finger. Which one is better , the index or middle finger . I think I hav got quite comfortable playing with the middle one.

Also playing with the index finger gives a sharper sound, is it so ??