Strings break? frequently?

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by alpha1, Mar 28, 2006.

1. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Well Am thinking of downtuning my guitar 1 whole step (=2 frets)
    That way I can bend 4 frets easily.

Thanks Zing. Me not meta, so didnt know properly. ;)

2. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

Tuning the guitar just a half step down reduces string tension enough to make bends easier. I dont think you'll need to downtune a whole step. There are a lot of people who prefer tuning a halfstep down like ME,EVH,"Enter famous names here". Just get good quality strings and see that the strings are properly strung under the string holders and at the tuning key.

3. satch_attack

satch_attack New Member

normally many ppl tune 1 whole step down to shred faster ...especially ppl like kerry king and daron malikian...its easier to shred on the E string when it is a whole step down ..but it sometin knew to tune a whole step down to bend ..

if you tune a half step down..its much better ..the strings have just enof tension to bend easily ....but 4 fret bends ..hmmm....i dont think it is stil possible without snappin the string now and then ..

@wizard ..you are rite man ..its KARUNA only ....they write the K so awkardly i thought it was a H...yes ..KARUNA strings ..and im suprised its 60 bux.i think i only paid 40 for it ..and each string is 6 rupees or sometin if you buy separately ...4 rupees for packagin i think .....but ..great strings to practice al the techniques which spoil the strings like pinch haromonics and bends and slides usin custom made parts !!!...

4. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

People tune low to D or C#, to get their sound heavy or thick and not to shred fast. To shred, any tuning would do.

5. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

^ Ans also to bend easily.
    Like Me and Toni Iommi.
    ;)

6. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

What crap man!
    Yest night (today morninf to be technically correct), I was playing and I broke my D string. :cry1:
    It just snapped again from the bridge. And this time I was bending only 2 frets.

SO I though I should tune the guitar 2 steps down. And while I was doing that, the high E string also broke. From the nut.

:cry2:

Ronnie, which strings does Tulsi put?

7. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

The guy specifically said to use 9 guage strings only for my friends les paul. BTW his amp is pretty decent too.

8. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Well, this was also 9 gauge.
    The strings that I broke have been teh "stock" strings fitted.

Actually am suprised at the stock strings breaking all at approx same time.

My karuna's have lasted longer and experienced more abuse.
    (You know how frequently I bend strings: even when not required)

Let the TriAC come first, then I will see about amp. Till then marshall rules.

9. ronnieanand

Nope.... about Tony Iommi....

Black Sabbath played in Standard Tuning for their first two albums. To get their sound much heavier and darker, they straight away went down 1 1/2 steps down and tune to C# from their third album. Then much later shifted to 1/2 step down tunings. Tony Iommi used to use 8 guage string in his E and B strings and then use thin strings to be a little easy on his chopped finger tips. His tuning was mainly due to the tone he had in his mind and not for easier string bending. Guys like Hendrix, SRV tune it 1/2 step down for easy bending bcos they were using super heavy guage strings. I guess SRV was using 13s and he had to tune down to be able to play.

10. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Well I recall reading what I posted from internet.
    So no guarantee for that stuff.

Al I know is that I use detuning for that purpose.

11. ronnieanand

I have this old RSJ Magazine which says that Tony Tommi used 1/2 step down tuning right from the beginning to make the strings easier on his wounded fingers. That's crap.. I have read several interviews with Tony Iommi where he talks about this tone, tunings and stuffs like that.

12. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Ah well man you pwned me.
    :)

Mebbe I should read this chit/note:
    [​IMG]
    :)