Strings break? frequently?

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by alpha1, Mar 28, 2006.

1. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Yeah, mine do.

I mean yesterday I was just practicing some lick where mild bending (2 frets) was there on the B string.
    And I bent it to 3 frets.

SNAP, suddenly the string broke from the bridge onwards.
    Godamn, then how do you expect me to practice 4 fret bends, when reaching the 3rd fret it broke?

:cry1:

2. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

:annoyed: :annoyed: Mine too broke on Sunday :mad: :mad:

I was showing someone how Clapton bends 4 frets in Sunshine of Your Love and my G string goes Kappoot. But I am kinda glad it broke. I didn't like the Dean Markley Strings. I have 4 sets left with me, so want to exhaust them fast. I am gonna buy only DR Tite Fit from now on. They are the best in my opinion.

3. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

Generally the tension at the saddle causes the string to break. There's this patented saddle out by some company that actually spreads the tension so string lasts longer. Its like a curve where the string lies on the saddle so tension is reduced.

4. ronnieanand

My string broke near the tuning key :)

5. aysh

aysh -|h3 ori9in4| (ui!aris-|-

my 'e' string snapped yesterday too :( .. lasted me approx 4 months ..

@ronnie whats the cost of DR tite fit .. i was using ernie ball extra slinky .. they cost me 350 .. might buy the DR ones if u suggest theyre better

6. ronnieanand

I dont think DR is available in India. I used to get them from the US. I liked DR far more than Ernie Balls.

7. aysh

^^ ok .. so shud i go for d'addarios or ernie ball only .. which's better in terms of tone and longetivity

8. ronnieanand

D'Addario.

9. aysh

thx ! :grin:

10. g0g0l

g0g0l ! SpAm

I have problem with my 3rd string:)
    Every time, I fit a new third string, within one week or so, it breaks or becomes uncoated :cry1:
    Others do not have any problem!!!

11. debankan

debankan The bassist from hell

Either you play the 3rd string too much, or your 3rd string is cursed.;)

12. rammy

rammy Guitar=Dope ; Me=Addict

^^ :RollLol: , yeah bending the strings if not done correctly often results in that, theres this proper tech. i believe to properly distribute the pressure on them....ofcourse the strings counts too...i broke mine while attempting indian claasical bendings of 4th fret up on the first string and snap, but not that often with 2nd or 3rd... also,bout the third string well thats the thinnest wounded string so it corrodes much quikly, mine shows serious damages within 2 weeks(even earlier in acoustics) and i need to replace till the 4th week for sure as the corrosion also tends to damage the frets too...

13. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

I guess three things matter the most:

1. The alloy being used. IF it is brittle and not super ductile - IT WILL BREAK.
    The more steel/iron you have, the mess dustile it becomes. Dunno about Nickel.
    Any metallurgist here?

2. Microscopic structure of the string. If the grains or the crustalline structure is not aligned properly, it will berak easily while stretching. Usually Steel bars are hot tempered and then cold rolled to impart good strenght as well as structural felxibilty.
    I think same process if followed for guitar strings should improve their performance.

Incidentally, alignment of crystals also improves ferromagnetism - whcihc should lead to better response at pickups.

3. Mechanical defects: any defect like kink etc will make the string weakest at that point. And lo, when you bend it, it will SNAP.

14. g0g0l

g0g0l ! SpAm

Thanx for teh information :grin:

15. BIG_EVIL

BIG_EVIL Guitaring Machine

listen guyz..somedays ago..i was unstringing my guitar ..when i was unstringin the low e ....it suddenly broke..i mean how can it happen.i was loosenin it:think:

16. CrYpTiC_angel

CrYpTiC_angel Rebelle!

Maybe coz u were tightening it by mistake instead of loosening it :p

17. zing

zing Machine Head

thats me

ur mostly rite tho iron/steel wont make it ductile - its th alloying elements tht mk the diff - carbon, nickel, chromium, etc - each has its plus/minus & diff string mfrs use a combo - nickel s gud 4 strength - i kinda liked d'addario bronze strings - brite sounding n long lasting

strings can break for lots of reasons - corrosion, uneven diameter, lack of prper heat treatment, poor alloys - th most common is corrosion due to moisture frm weather/sweaty palms etc -

its a good idea to
    - wash hands b4 playin
    - wipe the strings n fretboard with soft cotton after playin
    - stretch new strings immediately after fixin them
    - heavier=stronger so use the heaviest strings u r comfortable with

sum more tips here
    https://www.newstrings.co.uk/guitar_string_tips.html

the_wizard likes this.
  18. rammy

rammy Guitar=Dope ; Me=Addict

^^good info,:beer: especially cleaning ur hands before playing and cleaning the strings and the fretboard afterwards... i also find dunlop ultralide string cleaner and conditioner good, one coat every three days and strings really long last and retains the tone(i've applied it bout 3-4 times now), also for big_evil, thats common, happens a lot with nylon guitars... its bcoz of the tension in the string kept stretched for much longer time, whenever u tune ur guitar, always loosen the string to a degree flat note and then tighten it...that way, the tuning wud be retained for a longer time and u wud avoid string breaking while loosing too...

19. satch_attack

satch_attack New Member

no man..it aint rare ..it happens a lot ..when the string is in high tension and u suddenly bring the tesion down by turnin the tuning pegs fast ..the strings cant take the sudden change in tesion so the places on the string which are weak snap immediately...the only way to avoid this is to loosen the string slowly by turnin the tuning pegs slowly and gently ...not by usin all ur muscles in ur arms ..

i have bein practicin bends for a few days now and till now i hae snapped only 1 string ...they were local HARUNA strings so i dont care abt them..if u wanna learn bends , dont take ur slinkys and d'addarios and ernie balls cuz no matter how gud u are ..if the strings are old,they are bound to break ...and all the top brands charge like 40 bux atleast per string ...so thts 40 buz down the drain in 1 bend ...these harunas ..ech string is 6 bux wit extra E string ...40 bux pack !!!!!!

and 1 more thing !

y do u want to bend 4 frets !!!!!!!!!!>..thts 4 semitones ...no way u can do tht !!!!!!!!!!........u are bound to snap ur string ..3 fret bendin itself is pushin it ..if u goto 4 ...may god be wit u on the gig !!!
    best thing is slide 2 frets and bend 1 whole tone in tht fret so tht it il sound like a 4 fret bend .if u do it pretty neatly and smooth ,u will be able to pull it off easily

20. the_wizard

the_wizard Omega == God

U sure it was haruna?

coz we get some Karuna strings for 60 bucks in Mumbai