String Rust

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by Life_Sans_Death, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Life_Sans_Death

Life_Sans_Death Acronym!

Anybody got any handy tips on reducing/avoiding it?

2. angel_of_sin

angel_of_sin bassist.....

well...........i think dey are unavoidable.............most of da strings actually die before reaching dat stage...........u can buy bronze strings though......................(dey are already rust colour) and dey hve more life dan ordinary steel ones..................

3. loyal

loyal New Member

wiping the strings with a dry cloth after u play your guitar helps to some extent, strings also corrode depending on the environment it is subjected to. Sweat is a killer here.

4. Life_Sans_Death

Life_Sans_Death Acronym!

But I am living on a coastal area now. So, my strings seem to catch up quite some rust in 5-6 days. I am thinking of oiling and wiping them before putting them on.

5. loyal

loyal New Member

leave a pack or two of silica gel ( drying agent ) in your guitar case. This helps in absorbing moisture inside the case.

6. umangu

umangu New Member

What strings do you use? If you're playing an electric, a good set of strings shouldn't rust. I live by the sea too. My set of Ernie Balls could last me forever.

Even for acoustics you should stay away from most local brands. I used to buy these cheap az strings in Munirka. Wouldn't last a month. The wound strings would start cracking wherever they touched the frets. Then the different segments would slide around over the inner string!

I've had something called Alice on my cheap Gi'V'son for a year now. No trouble...

Wiping down strings is recommended. But that only helps if you sweat a lot, and only prevents the strings from going dull prematurely.

7. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

8. Life_Sans_Death

Life_Sans_Death Acronym!

Man tell me about it. I used to use D'ads back in UK. But here in the local store I found only something called Karuna and givson(huh). I am getting myself a cartload of D'ads when I am in Calcutta.

9. vlada729

vlada729 New Member

hi...

Most of the strings rust when a guitar is not played. If you regularly play then it's your hands and sweat, and then it's a different issue.. . You can use something like "fast fret"...after playing clean and wipe the strings with that, then a cloth...it will drastically affect strings lifespan...

10. Life_Sans_Death

Life_Sans_Death Acronym!

Where The **** Can I Get These Things Here?

11. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

I dont think you can.

Probably some big shops like Onstage or Furtados etc will keep it.