Strap Lock? HELP!

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by menon_ranjit, Jul 3, 2007.

1. menon_ranjit

menon_ranjit New Member

Hi i'm a bit of a beginner at performing on stage. Recently for a set list of punk songs at a show i thought it'd help if i jump around and hang the guitar way down low. But unfortunately the GOD DAMN STRAP just kept UNHOOKING at Both ends while i was playing!! I just had to stop playing in the middle of the number and Rehook it. It WAS SOO BLOODY EMBARESSING ! And this was a custom Joe Satriani strap i'd borrowed from a good friend. Luckily I didn't Drop His RG-350 Or my MEX strat during the show!

I was wondering if there's any technique or tips you could give me to keep the strap in place even if your moving about heavily while playing... The guys in greenday and other alternative bands just do it so well..

2. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

Good point.
    Well you can use rubber bands across the strap ends. Essentially you put the strap on, and then put a rubber band over it on the strap hook/nut (?)

3. raj.hendrix

raj.hendrix New Member

Hahahahahahaha!!! id suggest that you concentrate more on your playing skills rather than jumping ones.

4. Nouman011

Nouman011 New Member

I still haven't decided if the OP was actually being serious.

5. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

carefully remove the strap peg screws, push a large washer ( you'll get them at any hardware store or auto mech) then the strap and screw it back. Don't try to remove the strap (you shouldn't be able to) and avoid noodling with those screws too much

6. thehundredthone

I still recommend rubber bands. They're easier to remove if needed, and you don't need to unscrew the pegs.

7. umangu

umangu New Member

I stand by Schaller strap locks. Expensive, but they're awesome.

Dunlop also makes cheap plastic ones.

Look on eBay

Tallkien has made a valid suggestion, but your straps will be very tight against the guitar body, and you might fell a little stiff jumping around!

8. thehundredthone

Umangu, one thing you need to consider, we live in India :)

9. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

buy a granada strap for 100rs

10. DagMX

DagMX New Member

Get dunlop strap locks. Really cheap and should be easy to get. They just fit on top of the strap button once the strap is on.
    I wouldn't trust the rubber band method because if a strap has difficulty holding on to a strap button, then a rubber band would provide little resistance to a fall.

11. umangu

umangu New Member

That's why, eBay zindabad! Even DagMX recommended the Dunlop straps, which are small, plastic parts - should be available in India.

You can get them on eBay for $5.

I've also seen straps with built in locks. These as well as the Dunlops lock on to your existing strap buttons unlike the Schallers.

12. menon_ranjit

menon_ranjit New Member

Can i get them in bangalore? i Checked Bajaao , Didn't find em..