Strangers are the best Amps ever PERIOD

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by ronnieanand, Sep 26, 2005.

1. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Yesterday we were jamming in our jam room and all of a sudden we heard something wierd. All of us stopped and try to hear it. Then we figured out that the vocalist Mic which was connected to a Stranger Cube20 started picking some local Kannada Radio station and it was pretty loud too. We sat for a while listening to the radio through the Stranger Amp. Then we plugged the Mic to the Marshall and also to my home made Amp, the Radio station diappeared. When we connected the Mic back to the Stranger it again picked up the radio station. So we had no other choice than to unanimously decide the Stranger is the Best Amp ever. You pay for a Amp Cube and you get a RADIO Free. We had a nice time imagining how it will be if the Radio is picked up when we do a gig. :think: :beer:

Any experiences from you guys.

2. jekyll

jekyll Banned

WOW :nw:

I think I have experienced this in my frend's Stranger Cube 20W amp.

3. heisian

heisian New Member

I got the same effect on my CRATE GFX-15 guitar amp... I was playing guitar and i hear some talking so i stop, then i realize im listening to a radio station... from my amp!! when i moved the guitar around i could adjust the clarity of the station.. i guess the guitar and the cable acted like an antenna

it was an african music radio station, and i stopped playing and listened to it for about 30 minutes

4. ronnieanand

Cool First Post. Welcome to IGT :beer:

5. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

My guitar teacher could not use the amp because it happened to him on stage....same stranger amp. They had to use another amp.

crazy...

6. fictional_real

fictional_real Pyaasi Jawani

Ha ha ha...

Stranger Amps have antenna or wat? i mean ... am really clueless. Can some1 tell me how can this happen. I dunno the exact function and electronic operation carried on inside an amp.

7. despremee

despremee New Member

Amp behaving as a Diode Detector

@fictional_real - A loose contact and/ or 'earthing' problems can make an amp behave like a 'detector'. Only the very strong (AM) broadcasts are generally detected and get through to the speakers.

My 2 cents...

8. ronnieanand

The Amp picks up the radio statio becasue the Pickup coils, cables, etc.. has it's associated inductance, capacitance and resistance. So this LCR combination is somewhat in tune with the broadcasted frequency. I am not sure if this is because of Loose Connections or Earthing. The LCR still exists irrespective of whether you have good earthing or not. This thing happens even with Expensive Tube Amps. Anyway you can confront whatever I said. I sucked big time in my academics :)

My 0 cents.

9. acousticdreamer

acousticdreamer ΩUNPLUGGEDΩ

Yeah! It can't get 'stranger' than this!!!! :p:

10. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

Oh man! I guess i should'nt have sold my stranger i could have salvaged a radio out of it.

11. abhijitnath

abhijitnath Fighting GAS frantically

It can happen to any amp with bad earthing btw..if you watch Hendrix live at WOodstock theres this bit when his Marshall starts picking up radio:)

12. vini

vini Repeat Offender

lol..yeah strange indeed.. isnt there a way outta this? i mean..what if sum1 doesnt want this free radio station :think: iL ask my bro..if he has any foolproof solution :)

13. ronnieanand

Why wouldn't you want the Free Radio Station. After all radio might be playing better than you ;)

14. vini

vini Repeat Offender

@Ron
    but y such a costly radio :shock:

ps-dont temme ur a bad musician too coz u want to use ur amps as a radio ;) too bad..tch..tch..!! :grin:

anyways lets try to remain in track wid this topic

15. ronnieanand

Haha. That's my secret plan for success. Get on stage with Stranger Stacks. Hopefully it will pickup a rock station and Clapton starts playing in the radio. I keep doodling on the guitar on the stage, make serious faces, some super stunts. All the dumb audience will think it's me playing and I become a Guitar Super Hero. You fly thousand miles carrying your crappy Acoustic to get it signed by then, so that you can sell it in eBay for a million dollars :beer: .

16. Nanda

Nanda Bassist

NICE CRACK DUDE ......
    It happened yesterday too .... And it stopped after we used the Chordless !!!!!
    So no idea if its the AMP doing it or the MIC !!!!!!!

Check
    https://www.dmusic.com/forum/cooledit/16871

17. born2tab

born2tab rhythm guitarist

Hey..i have been using the stranger amp for the past one year but neva had these radio recieving probs...So i think it can be some defective stock of stranger amps because i live very near to the Chennai radio FM tower n still my stranger is performin flawlessly.

18. shak

shak Harrr!

the wah pedals also have tendency to pick up radio stations ...
    the vox people even have disclaimer on their website ... i have been told.

19. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

i get radiocity 91 fm whenever i bend on the 21st fret at full gain

20. rocking_devil

rocking_devil Banned

^^ was thta a joke or serious term!??!