Stomping the AMP

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by yazi, Apr 24, 2007.

1. yazi

yazi Banned

I want a zakk wylde kind of tone.

@all: I will be buying a 30W amp next month. Here in India. So options?

I need good speakers.

Give me an unanimous choice.

2. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

ooops, Didn't realize you were talking about AMT :sorry: British Sound otherwise refers to "Marshall" tone which is anything but bright

The guitar you played either might have had 250k pots or might have been the BL_USA variety or whatever... The new XLs are darkish actually

3. Double Click

Double Click New Member

OOpss.. Thought I'd mentioned they were the USA types :)

But isnt marshall tone.... esp plexi era bright??

@yazi- u have no choice.. Try getting one made.

Either that or buy a Laney/Marshall

For Zakk Wylde tone , u should prolly keep bass around 20-30%, trenle well.. try increasin it slowly from 60% onwards to find the right spot. Gain around 55-70%.. Been ages since I played teh grunge, so this is a general guide..

4. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

Ask talkien to make u a Single Rectifier copy.......

That would be buttkickass

5. yazi

yazi Banned

Well, talkien

6. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

We Are Waiting

7. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

30 watt eh? How about a 20W, will still be loud enough. You still need to source a spkr cab though, any thoughts on that?

Right now I don't want to build any commercial clones outside the marshall 18/36W, or other open project amps I'm involved with... Don't want copyright issues please, me poor man

So your options as they stand would be

18W Lite:
    Single channel
    Volume, Tone control
    moderate gain, Creamy OD, works brilliantly with pedals.
    2x12ax7, 2xEl84

18W TMB:
    two channel
    ch1, Volume,Tone ch2 Vol, Tre, Mid, bas Master
    3x12AX7, 2xEl84
    channels can be jumpered for extra gain, or use pedals

36W TMB
    same as above except 4xEL84

20W single channel 2x6V6
    Hi-Gain Preamp with very bluesy 6V6 power stage

For bigger EL34, 6L6 based amps please ask me after I've built a few of these
    FYI the 18 sounds like a big marshall, only not as loud but still loud enough. If you've seen the awesome movie "Dead Man" that's the Marshall 18 tone. These amps are very responsive and tight

Let me know ASAP coz I'm going to bangalore this week. I'll have time there so I'd like to finish it in B'lore before I return to Mum to start with a new job. I'll need to carry some things from here so tell me today. Will let you know prices after I can do a few rounds.

Expect a wooden head something like guru's Ram, If Laney wouldn't mind asking Bobby about the possibility of scoring a speaker on his trip there that would be great. Might just make a combo in that case

PS. I recommend the 18Lite for now, would be easy on both of us, Sounds killer though

8. yazi

yazi Banned

Where do u get speaker for amps in India?

9. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

Go to SP Road..you will find a shop which sells speakers , cabs and maybe even chassis. I think its called Pooja Electronics..you will find it easily. He has various local speakers with some choices like cone type,full-range and low-pass(should be suitable for guitar). He also sells cabs. I dont think you can get a real guitar amp speaker like Celestion/Eminence etc here. These guys have Ahuja and Philips.

And do post the prices/availability of components after you do your rounds:)

10. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

Im going there this saturday....If i do survive i will let you guys know. I need to go buy Patch cables n shyt

11. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Yazi, set your pedal to have more of treble component than bass.
    Something like:
    bass 3
    mids 5
    treble 7

and in your amp, set mids and bass higher than treble something like:
    bass 5
    mids 7
    treble 3

That should give you enough of sharp cutting tone, without getting too fizzy, and not at all boomy.

12. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

@Tallkien : Will do....im sure he will. I think i remember asking him once and him saying yes to getting guitar speakers

13. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

I've seen plenty of Peavey and Celestion speakers all over town but they're for Hi-Fi and PAs. Very unsuitable for guitar. There's no point paying big money for Hi-Fi speakers in a guitar amp especially in a tube. Their sensitivities are very different

Considering Marshall is assembling here they surely will have stock. Even the Eminence custom I have in my cab is killer, but whether they'll retail is another matter, I'll ask around though, always wanted to go there

14. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

when u gonna start building amps?

15. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

I'll be in bangalore first 2 weeks of May. I can build one for sure, maybe two, BUT interested folks will need to inform me latest by today evening because I need to get somethings made here and take with me to B'lore. I have some free time and the equipment and space so building a nice head/combo would be cool

So make up your mind quickly and I'll get cracking here

PS I need a confirmed nod from anyone interested, today. I can't afford to pour money into this otherwise, (I'm jobless right now so pls understand)
    For my part I can assure you a great sounding amp.

To keep things simple my first offering will be one of the 18watt options (Lite or TMB)
    I will let you know the cost ASAP

16. yazi

yazi Banned

How much will a 30 W head cost?
    And can it be boxed in something other than metal?

17. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

A 36W Marshall head will be up at ~20k. This is a two channel switchable to 18W by cutting off two tubes. I Highly recommend this monster if you can afford it

The head WILL be lacquered wood similar to Guru's amps, NO metal (vibrates). I can't Tolex so I guess that's not an option either

18. yazi

yazi Banned

Thn maybe later. I ain't got tht kind of cash now. Will go with a 30W SS amp I guess.

19. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

With a 30W SS I assume you only want to play at home or band practice. If that's the case you might even try a P1-Extreme. This is a single ended amp at about 12W for a modest 9k and plenty loud. You will need a pedal to push it into hard clip but if you mange a good speaker (or two) you'll be a lot louder than a 30W SS. Makes a great Class A recording amp too

Let me know

20. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

or maybe someday I could convert your SS into tube which might work out still cheaper. You'd already have a speaker and cab anyway