Stomping the AMP

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by yazi, Apr 24, 2007.

1. yazi

yazi Banned

I got this Digitech grunge pedal and a Stranger amp. 20 cube.

So, do I need to match the settings on my pedal with that on the amp?

Like if bass is 3 o clock on pedal so 3 o clock on amp as well?

'Cuz thats what I have been doing. And the sound of the 1st, 2nd and 3rd string seems cracked. More so if I play 2 of em toghether. So all chords except power chords seem horrible. I will put in a demo ASAP.

Any remedy?
    Except new amp?:confused:

2. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

new laney....

3. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

No no no, you want to keep either one of those EQs flat or 50%, don't try matching them, you'll double EQ the same frequencies. Take your pick but use only one to color your sound

4. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

I need some settings for my Digitech Death Metal Help me out tallkien.....

5. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

I've played a grunge, I don't know the Death Metal but from experience I like to get the thickest sound I can get, Very bassy, medium high mids and very low treble. Extreme High Gain seems to add its own top end fizz

What seeting have you got now?

6. yazi

yazi Banned

Some settings for me as well. I use( out of 10)

Bass: 6
    Treble: 4.5
    Its got a level control. I keep that at 2 or 3
    And its got a grunge control which controls the amount of distortion.

Which is the gain control? The level one? I think its more of a volume control.

And as I have only 1 channel in my amp, do I keep:
    Bass on 5
    Treble on 5
    Mids on 5?

7. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

I opened the stomping thing of my Death Metal and on the Circuit or whatever it says Digitech Grunge pedal...lmao....anyway the controls are

LEVEL
    LOW
    MIDS
    HIGH

8. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

The level control is used to balance the output volume of distortion vs clean bypass. Its basically an MV for any effect

Then you need to decide what you want to sound like, 90's Death or raunchy Nu Metal.

I personally would set my amp around
    B:9-10 M:5-6 T:3.5-6.5,7 (depending on amount of distortion)

IIRC that grunge control would add a lot of fizz as you turn it all the way up so I wouldn't go very high with it, around 6

These settings are for moderately loud playing (for home). If you're playing at nighttime bedroom volumes, I'd cut the bass and boost treble a bit

Who do you want to sound like?

9. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

I personally prefer to do my EQ on the amp, because I'd like to get a good clean sound a well. My effect EQs are usually around 3-4 for both bass and treble

My pickups are also quite bright, YMMV

10. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

You make pickups too? WTF?

11. yazi

yazi Banned

Thats no what he meant.

I would like an overdrivy sound.
    If not possible a 90s death metal sound.

12. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

No I don't, although if I had a winder I'd love to try :)
    I use Bill Lawrence pickups and those are quite bright

13. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

aah, my noobieness bad!

14. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

Don't bother too much the EQ on the Stranger. I say use your pedal to squeeze the amp for what it's worth.

15. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

or just throw it away and use headphones

16. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

eeww, Headphones are worse. But since it's either that or an 8" car audio speaker, I guess there's not much between them :)

17. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

Tru dat! Yazi...why dont you buy a good amp from the US? I mean you werent concidering playing that UBER CEXXY jackson thru the stranger right?

18. Double Click

Double Click New Member

The eq on the amp and pedal are not meant to be matched.
    The eq on the stranger is for ur poweramp or amp's preamp stage.

I suggest u keep the amp eq flat.. Either on 0 or all knobs to 12 o clock. Adjust the setttings on ur grunge to ur liking (the grunge control is the gain control) and then, if needed use the settings on the amp for fine tuning..
    DO NOT KEEP THE PEDAL EQ FLAT AND ADJUST THE AMP EQ FOR TONE... NOT WITH A STRANGER!!! It may work in rare cases, but usually it doesnt help.
    Strange eqs are pretty useless IMO.

Bass on 6 is on the higher side, most stomps will end up sounding all boomy if u do that... just use enough bass to fill out the sound. The treble should prolly be a lot higher... otherwise u'll end up kiling ur highs and mucking up the sound...Also, turning up both highs and bass with a low level will also do some mid scooping which isnt always a good thing.

For a slight overdrive, u should be keeping the gain/grunge low to medium and the volume pot on the guitar on max, and pick as hard as u can :)

U can also try using the mixer out of ur grunge and plugging into the cdin of the amp.

From ur description though i get a feeling u've been plugging the mixer out into the guitar in of the amp which is a strict no no cause u'll endup cascading the cab sims....

If u need more help, tell me what sorta tone ur looking for (Details man details!!! )

@tallkien those L500's are waaay bright!!! U can pretty much nail the AC/DC tone with that and a brit sound.

@laney the Death Metal is just a modified grunge... that prolly explains what u saw :beer:

19. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

They most certainly are NOT waaaay too bright. In fact I've never played more balanced or fuller range pickups than these. Do you have them too? My bridge was brighter than neck so I darkened it a bit to match, but alas....I digress...

And since when is British sound associated with bright guitar tone

20. Double Click

Double Click New Member

^^ I had played on a modded L500XL.. That was pretty darn bright.

Have u played a brit sound? It is one of the the brightest stompboxes I've played... Or mebbe it just feels that way next to the Fatal Tube..