Steve Lukather

Discussion in 'Music Talk' started by Alfons, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Alfons

Alfons C.F.H

has anyone here heard of Steve Lukather of Toto. He's a pretty versatile guitarist , plays all kinds of stuff like jazz, blues , hard rock ......
    i'm getting into his stuff...need serious recommendations

2. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

d00d hold yourself.
    What is happening to you?

Listen to good death-metal.

Am afraid d00d you are becoming old

3. the_wizard

the_wizard Omega == God

I like their drummer...dont remember his name though

4. Alfons

Alfons C.F.H

umm...huh?? death metal.....since when did you get the idea i listen to death metal ???

anywayz...i am 15 ...desperately need a walking stick

5. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

Ah, now we're talking. While I haven't specifically listened to a lot of Toto, I do love Steve Lukather's guitaring. What can I say...the man is brilliant.

Next time you get around Pallika Bazaar get hold of his instructional videos....he has some very sweet licks on that. Some tricks I've copied from there.

By the way...that Lionel Ritchie song..."Hello, is it me you're looking for" has Steve Lukather on guitar.

6. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

p.s.- Listen to Larry Carlton. He is God.

haha, I was just watching Lukather's video and he played a lick that I could swear I've heard before and then he says he stole it from Larry Carlton. Difference between East and West. Just hear the d00d talk on this video...his words are Golden.

7. acidwabbit

acidwabbit New Member

Start with the new Toto album "Falling in Between" still 'officially' unreleased..Lukathers and Toto's best work in years then proceed to the 80's and then the 70's u can safely give the 90's a slip

8. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Where in Palika Bazaar?
    Shop number?

9. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

Right infront of Gate no. 1 there is a shop called Pyramid. It usually has pretty much anything I've asked for.

10. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

Not pyramids...i aint going there, that surd is a cheat.
    I once bought a vid from there and after about 30 mins the was a 3 second differential between the audio and the video. He wudnt even replace the CD. 400 bucks down the drain.

11. abhijitnath

abhijitnath Fighting GAS frantically

Anyway why not just download the videos off the net in these days of broadband?
    @bjr: I find that Larry Carlton sounds very elevator-musicy to me. I don't know..never managed to get into his stuff. Lee Ritenour kicks ass in a similar playing style.

12. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

aw, shucks. I haven't been to him for a few years now but anyone from here going to Delhi usually get's all the other people's "orders" and gets the CD's. The surd used to be quite decent then...he's been around for ages I think. But yeah, the video I have of Lukather's licks has Pyramid advertized on it so I wonder if the other guy's shall have it.

@abhijitnath: I especially love his work with Steely Dan....The solo in Kid Charlemage is, in my definition, what a solo should be...and the fact that he got it down in one-take probably takes him upto an even higher pedestal in my eyes. I understand what you're saying though...and I suppose the double string chromatic runs could sound that way.

13. Strat

Strat Floydian

I got interested in his solo works some time ago and downloaded two tracks (Borrowed time & Born Yesterday) of his solo album "Candyman". Pretty interesting stuff.

14. real_illusions

real_illusions Clapton Is GOD

toto my ass. just listen to his solo stuff. the people he's worked with are gods. first of all he's on vai's label. and on his album, he has eddie van halen and jeff beck come in for a few songs. i have a video of him and jeff beck playing beck's freeway jam. awesome!!

15. Alfons

Alfons C.F.H

hwo come you know so much about delhi ??

anywayz...
    i have heard that his individual stuff is better than his work with Toto. I did recently download a video of him and Nuno Bettencourt of Extreme jamming together . They started of by playing Joy to the World ( yeah the Christmas Caroll )

i did download Africa by Toto , there wasnt any significant guitar playing in it so i was kinda upset .

https://youtube.com./results?search=Steve+Lukather&search_type=search_videos&search=Search

well i just found this in youtube, and that blew me off

i really like his tone , heh...he uses EMG's .
    anyone know which guitar he uses ?? coudnt really make out from the Video

16. abhijitnath

abhijitnath Fighting GAS frantically

It's his signature model called Luke, made by Ernie Ball.

17. Alfons

Alfons C.F.H

yeah i found the headstock similar to petrucci's guitar

18. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

I visit once a year...the last few times I've lived away from family so I had to get around.