steps to follow while selecting a guitar

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by hairyPotter, Aug 21, 2004.

1. hairyPotter

hairyPotter New Member

Hello list,

Very soon I would be going to buy an Electric Guitar (mostly a custom guitar.. but if budget doesn't allow, i would have to go for a ready-made electric). I would like to know what is the typical *steps* one follows while picking a guitar...

1. Given that I'm a left hander (and that I cannot play the righty guitar "ulta" without reversing the strings) how do I go about picking up a guitar? Is it "okay" to ask him to reverse the strings for a number of guitars while I "try" them out?

2. Do I pick the guitar-of-my-choice first and then pick the amp?

3. Assuming I shortlist 'N' guitars and 'M' amps, Is it okay to try N x M combinations? ;) What is the "ethical" level of torturing the guitar shop owner? ;)

2. jayanth

jayanth <.: : Call Quits : :.>

Since you are from Bangalore, Go to Reynolds, Every one in 100 guitars are Lh.. but i suggest you go to Chennai and get it made cause it would mean that you will be real comfortable cause it will be built jus tthe way you want it..

Amps As you said can be Bought after the guitar. .Checking the feedback and stuff.. Also You can torture the Reynolds guy as much as you want. .Call me i'll help you torture him...

3. hairyPotter

hairyPotter New Member

;) cool

One of my friends is like "NO! Get a righty model done... it looks so cool to be playing it reverse..." ;/ but yeah, a guitar that fits me perfectly fine is what I want :)

Thanks, will call you to get the reynolds guy tortured ;)

4. jayanth

Done.. i love that guy.. Every time i got there they get mAd..

5. h4f0n

h4f0n New Member

Get a left hand Stratocaster or Telecaster
    Then some kind of marshall
    u'll never regret it :rockon:

6. jayanth

Any LH guitar will cost too much.. I dont know why but i guess they just cant make them using Mirrors..