Staff Notations...is it necessary?

Discussion in 'Music Talk' started by nnshinde, Jun 13, 2005.

1. nnshinde

nnshinde New Member

hi there...
    Recently i got a page with some musical notations....is it necessary 2 have knowledge if u wants 2 b professional
    i could not figured it out...do any one have some basic staff notations along with sum audibles or midi files.

plz do reply

2. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

if u want to be a proffesional ,studio - sessions musician ..u need to have the ability to sight read.
    it will only help u get more work.

one suggestion--if u wanna learn to sight read ..learn western classical music from a good teacher who knows what hes doin,he could probably train u for the trinity exams too.

though..i have seen guitarists..who can only play when there is a staff infront of them,
    no originality or improvisational skills.
    i suggest u also try to develop these skills together with ur ability to read music.

my 2 bucks worth of advice.

peace.
    dharmatma.

3. LEFTY_GUITARIST

LEFTY_GUITARIST -= M®. §öU†|-|ÞäW =-

^^^^hell ya!!

4. amit82cse

amit82cse Silent observeR

If i am right that staff notations are same for music played on various instruments and hence they have their value.

I tried to learn, but could not find any practical use as of now.

5. Taifi

Taifi New Member

dharmamta is rite...rock on man

6. shak

shak Harrr!

yup ... if u get these midnight wake-ups with a FIT tune in your head ..and then you jsut want to record that some how ... staff notation is the way ..cuz you CAN jot the tabs ..but in the morning chances are that you would have forgotten the rhythm .. so yeah u really need to know the staff notations to actually record the music in the reproducable format ... (damn i soun like jamhead ... hehe no-offence mate)
    but that was a bit day-to-day example ... so in essence (there i go again..) yes u do need the knowledge of the staff and how to read them if u want that bit extra ..

7. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

jimi hendrix cudnt read staff, nor can slash :think::p:

8. nik_bokacheley

nik_bokacheley :help: I'm a mad :sadbye:

My teacher said he's gonna teach me staf notations and no songs.. SO he's stressing upon staff. .. He's told me that one day i'll be able to tab songs by myself.. if Learn the way he is teaching..:)

9. cYpHeR

cYpHeR Banned

sahi jawab...even im learnin staff readin.....might start givin exams frm the end of dis year.....

10. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Staff are a great way to document your music and also to read some of the great works of Maestros. The benefits are plenty knowing to read staffs. But it's not really neccessary to be a good musician. It's only a way to document your music. It doesn't improve your playing skills or your musical ability. Most of the great Blues Guitarists never had any theory background.

By the way Steve Vai got his first break with Frank Zappa only because he knew how to Staff. Vai had responded to Frank Zappa's ad who wanted someone to document a few of his songs. So learn staff, you might get the next lucky break like Vai. Of Course you need good playing to back this up.

11. vini

vini Repeat Offender

nn...try and google..uL definitely find sum useful stuff out there...and as per my conviction ...yes yes yes...professionally atleast u must have a hang of staff notations..initially the minims and semi breves will freak u out..heehe..but keep the faith..and practise..the concept is v.v. easy..but playing in accordance wid notations..will be tuf beginning....practise!! practise!! :)

tahda!!

12. amit82cse

amit82cse Silent observeR

Can we have sample staf notations on this thread. So some link to know more about them?

13. cYpHeR

cYpHeR Banned

u can get an insight on how to read music at cyberfret.com....try googling it...and u'll get sm results...