staff notation!need help!

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by uj_6string, Jan 2, 2006.

1. uj_6string

uj_6string Nickelodean Addict :D

all right....i am sure not many guys out here know staff notation.......but i am really having trouble with it.....i cant recognize where the notes are and itz real hard to play.......can someone give me advice on this.....
    some advice would really be appreciated....
    thanx in advance.....

2. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

what do you want to know?

Ask your questions and I'll try to answer.

3. zing

zing Machine Head

the only way to recognize wher th notes r is thru practice, practice, practice.....................n then some more practice hehe

i started out learning western classical n we did scales day n nite using staff notation - when they started teaching songs using the same notation i thot enoughs enough & quit - been learnin fmr books/sites/friends since then

otoh m friend stuck wit learning notation - one fine day i heard him playing jethro tull's locomotive breath lead like martin barre's grandpop - i asked him if he liked the song - well... the bugger hadn't even heard it!!!

so thats the power of staff notation - but therez no shortcut to it

tho sitez like http://musictheory.net may help

4. mr singh

mr singh New Member

staff notationis the best... cant really help by typin stuff out, i will find a decent site 4 u hopefully... but don ask about bass notation, cos i dont do that crap

5. uj_6string

@mr.singh...thanz.....if would be really nice if u provided me with some link....
    @zing....thanks a lot......yup....dtz the power of staff notation.....u havent even heard the song but u can play it like a pro....yeah....i guess ill just have to practice.....
    @bjr....basically....even i dident know what i wanted to know.....i was having trouble with everything....recognizing the notes(where they are).....the timing......everything.....but thanx anyways.......

6. mr singh

mr singh New Member

well, the best link is the one previously given by zing... that website is kl, it taught me sum stuff i didnt no. :)
    an easy way of remebering the notes is FACE between the lines and EGBDF becomes Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge!!! nice n easy i s'pose

7. vini

vini Repeat Offender

If Only we all could accept that PRACTISE is the only way out and not to forget patience and determination :)

uj_6string likes this.
  8. uj_6string

@mr singh.....thankz for that code....
    @vini......yup i agree with you.....practice.....patience....determination.........thankz....
    and frankly.....since i posted this thread....i have improved already...i have been practicing

9. vini

vini Repeat Offender

thats Great..well i've been advising others..but i myself gave up learning staff notations after a month or so coz im just an amateur guitarist..so its fine wid me..

but those who wanna carve a niche professionally must learn staff notations
    ....my opinion! :)

10. uj_6string

well....i think that staff notation is an excellent way of music reading(better than tabs for sure)
    so i guess it'll be useful for me later.....whether i take up guitar professionaly or not......
    and now....i feel it aint dt hard.......i can recognize the notes now......my timing is still screwed up but ill improve with practice.....
    :rock:

11. Guitar boy

Guitar boy New Member

Learning staff notation is not as difficult as guys generally assume.
    It's easy, if you can spend 30 mins per day and concentrate well u will get the hang of it in a month(Provided you have a teacher).
    As always you guys say about practice, the basics lessons should be followed perfectly. Directly jumping to read song/rhyme notes will lead to frustration.

To start you must be playing only whole notes(semi-breves) - people may think that it's not required to practice as its easy... but beginners can get hold of counts/beats only at this point. Have patience to learn the scale exercises - this helps in writing notes in your memory - like as soon as you find a note in the fourth space(E), your finger automatically goes to strike 1st open string (or 5th fret - 2nd string).
    Guitar notes are easy (four parts play an exception), I followed Mel Bay's book, dont know the publication.

Exercises don't sound sweet, but you imagine that your fingers and arms are enjoying when striking notes.

uj_6string likes this.
  12. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

Pretty good advice really.

13. UjSen

UjSen *#!EVIL*!!

i lost practice and have actually frgtten how to read staff notations
    tell me from the begenning plz!

14. zing

zing Machine Head

15. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

And what if you become a sessions guitarist and need to play something you've never heard before? Where does your ear take you then?

16. zing

zing Machine Head

like carrying an umbrella everyday sayin 'what if it rains'... what ur sayin is a double 'what if' scenario ... but ya technically ur rite .. tho what i was drivin at is that its more important to develop ur ear & ur own musical creativity... just bein able to read music wont make u a good musician

17. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

No, this would be like buying an Umbrella and keeping it close to hand so it can be used when it rains. The two situations are quite different.

While what you say is certainly not wrong, it is good to have as many tools in your armoury as you can amass. Use what you will when you will.

18. uj_6string

thankz a lot for your advice.....guitar boy, bjr and zing
    i guess practice is the only solution......and i need to change my attitude towards it and start taking it seriously.....
    once again.....thankz a lot!

19. UjSen

UjSen *#!EVIL*!!

i think everyone should knoe atleast how staffs work

20. mr singh

mr singh New Member

yea, everyone shud no how staff wrks, even if not fully, cos not all instruments can be written in an equivilant tabulated form... whereas with staff, most instruments have a generic/ uniform representaion of the same script, if that makes sense (it works in my head, lol).