Squier California Strat

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by yazi, Sep 17, 2006.

1. yazi

yazi Banned

Hey guys, any thoughts on the Squier California strat. I am planning to buy one from Onstage, Kolkata. It costs about 9k. Any other guitars in that range? Any other shops? I am really on a shoe string budget here. Any Suggestions will be welcome.

2. rohit

rohit New Member

it is a good guitar considering your budget.it is worth 9k.

3. TheDevil

TheDevil Ruler of Hell

Yamaha pacifica 012 .......umm just stretch it a little more..its worth 11k on bajaao try findin it sumwhere in bangalore im sure wud be cheaper.IMO try staying away from squires this yamaha is tooo good for its price......UMM but if ur really stuk with 9k thn its ok i guess squire arent that bad as a first guitar either ;)

4. Saptashaw

Saptashaw PRO Tabber

Buy it. The Pacifica is good, but so is the Squire. I played it once and found it cool. You could also, however, try out the Telecaster Squire. BTW, where is Onstage?

5. sanjivdas

sanjivdas New Member

Go for it

I have one, which I bought in the UK, and which my UK friends recommended over the other brands.

However, unlike what most people think, all squiers are not shitty, and they are definitely not the same. I have seen atleast 4 different types of squier strats. Look out for small things like the staggered or plain pole pieces in the pick ups, the tuners, even the colours and the freboard. Just like fenders, all Squiers are not available in all colours. The regular ones are invariably black, red, blue etc, with rosewood fingerboard. I don't know if you have many options in India, but try looking for different versions of the Squier strat. Look at the headstock, if it says Affinity, its likely to be the run off the mill ones, which are good enough. If it says standard on the headstock, they are quite good, they come with low end fender stock pick ups. If you manage to get a unique colour standard model (pick ups will have staggered ploes in those), they are as good as the USD 500 mexican fender strats. I'm attaching the picture of my one, its fantastic, and I love it to pieces.

All in all, the squier is a good buy, be sure to check the fretboard, make sure the tremelo is the standard two point one, and check all the pick ups for harmonics. Many squier affinity pick ups do not harmonise at all, dump those. If you play the fender type of music, no point going for an intermediate brand like yamaha, or a metal brand like jackson or ibanez.

Attached Files:

6. sanjivdas

sanjivdas New Member

And I think 9K is a very good price, normally people ask for about 11K for the normal Squier strat, California is priced higher.

Also, if the music you play permits, and your budget too, check the squier telecaster too. That has a maple neck, and is very nice and bright sounding.

7. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

By Normal Strat, if you mean the Standard Squier Strat, then it's costlier. California Series is supposed to be a Cheaper Version of their Standard Squier Strats.

8. rohit

rohit New Member

i also thought california start is 11k.i know fatstrat is for 9k.so may be it is a fatstrat.

oops .sorry squier california fat strat is for 10k.strat is for 9k. you are right.

9. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Well the prices speak for themselves.

If Squier Tele is selling for 11K, and Squier "California" Strat for 9K, its a clear indication ...

Usually prices within the same brand reflect the quality of components.

Ofcourse you cannot compare a 13K Ibanez to 12 K Yamaha Pacifica.
    Yam wins hands down.

10. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

^The Squier California used to be 12K a few months back on Bajaao, while the Squier Affinity Tele was still 11K(that too was marked 12K initially)

11. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Then why the price drop?
    :-s

12. sanjivdas

sanjivdas New Member

I meant the normal as in Affinity. I don't see the standard anywhere in India. Has anyone seen any Standard Strats here? I think the pricing goes Affinity < Californina < Standard.

13. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

bajaao has hot deals on a few instruments all the time
    the rg321mh was selling for 17 once

14. sanjivdas

sanjivdas New Member

I bought my RG321MH for 17K from a shop in Bangalore.

15. Double Click

Double Click New Member

Which shop in Banglore? When?

16. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

for the price it is good value for money

17. sanjivdas

sanjivdas New Member

Don't remember the name. Its one of the 3 shops in Patrick's complex at the junction of brigade and residency. not the ones on the right, its the one on the left, the last shop. I bought it in April i think.

18. yazi

yazi Banned

Yeah I play Fender type music. Onstage is on the Mirza Galib Street(near Park Street). They are giving me a gigbag(Heavy padded), 2 picks, 1 set extra strings for 9k. Should I go for it? And what about amps? Stranger amps any good? I mean the 10 cubes.

19. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

^ What on earth is 'Fender-type music'?

20. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Probably he meant more cleanish, less distorted, bright tone.
    Surf music, country, blues, rock n roll, ...