Speaker cab

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by Guitarist_DA, Nov 28, 2011.

1. wylder

wylder Member

I wouldn't underestimate a 22W valve amp. It can be pretty loud. In a stage gig, I could hear my 18W Laney over the onstage mix monitors when turned up, that too when the amp was just in a pushed and not over driven state.

Besides, increasing the number of speakers needn't be for volume alone. The bass response improves a lot and the tone becomes a lot more thicker as the 4 speakers work like a chorus effect due to minute delays in the actual physical movement of the individual speaker cones.

2. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

Wattage is wattage. At the end of the day a 5W amp pushing a 412 with speakers rated at 25W each is not going to work the speakers quite like a 100W. Speakers do sound better at a certain volume, just like tube amps do. A 212 with speakers rated at 25W (e.g. Greenbacks) will be more than enough for a 20W amp. No need to run 4 V30's rated at 60W each when you're only pushing 1/10th of the power.

3. wylder

wylder Member

Yeah, you might notice a slight shift in brightness with change in wattage but a 20W amp into a 4x12 should still be usable and enjoyable.

I would recommend that you ask the cab maker to wire it so that you have different output options/sockets like:
    - 4 speakers, 8 ohms
    - 2 speakers, 16 ohms
    - 1 speaker, 8 ohms

Also, instead of going for 4 V30s, try 2 V30's and 2 Greenbacks. Apparently these mix very well.

4. Guitarist_DA

Guitarist_DA New Member

Is a 412 gonna be the best? But a good 412 will be pretty expensive.
    Maybe I'm better going with the V30 112...
    What do you think?
    And I've got someone bringing the amp for me. Any precautions I should take?

5. thehundredthone

After further reading, it would seem it's the sensitivity of the speaker that makes it sound better, rather than the wattage. The V30 is rated at 103dB I think, so it's pretty sensitive, and will sound good regardless of the voltage (as long as it's less than 60W which is what the speaker is rated at).

The choice between 112 and 412 is purely subjective. Multiple speakers move more air, hence have a different sound as compared to a single speaker.

6. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

Dude even a 112 will be bulky enuf for anyone to carry.. is it carried on a bus, train or flight?

7. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

412 is totally overkill .. its for gigs.. 212 is the best if you can afford with One greenback and one V30..

8. thehundredthone

He was talking about someone bringing the head not the cab. And plenty of people use a 412 for the sound rather than the volume. Affordability is the crux of the matter though, as usual.

9. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

oops my bad.. i misread...

10. Guitarist_DA

Guitarist_DA New Member

Can't afford the 212 ATM. Looks I'll go with the 112.

11. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

Regarding carrying, best way is to hand carry it from abroad... Else you have to buy a hard case for it which is another 200$ or something...Ask your friend if he can hand carry it.. I think the amp comes with a carry bag even if not it will fit in any regular bag...

12. aryasridhar

aryasridhar New Member

Nice one mate, I was thinking of getting a cab done from him, but I am myself building one now, 1x12, with Eminence Governor Speaker in it. Hope it comes out well. I was also looking at this cab at Thomann.de HARLEY BENTON G212 VINTAGE - Thomann UK Cyberstore
    Price and everything looks great, Comes with Vintage 30's in it, and its cheap, approx 14k with shipping to India, plus customs maybe (they would let it go if i am lucky - hehehe), But even including that it costs about 18k, does it sound worth it? Read some reviews and it seems its a good cabinet and the sound samples are great too, and most importantly, can these guys (Thomann.de) be trusted?

13. theghost

theghost New Member

Thomann.de - Read reviews
    But u can never really tell ,best you buy from Be3

BTW does anyone know any mods for laney cub 10?

14. aryasridhar

aryasridhar New Member

Thanks Mate,

I use a cub 10, replaced the stock tubes with Tungsol Tubes, added a lot of warmth to the tone, cleans do not have shrills anymore. and the overdrive is nice and fat just as i like it. I am replacing the speaker too, and am also building the cab for the Laney Cub. Hope this helps.

Speaker change will certainly show a lot of difference, tubes will also do some change for good. as it did on mine.

15. deepsal

deepsal New Member

well well well bad luck sorry i wanted to buy a hb212v too i had odered it....2 days later i recieved an email saying sorry we cant ship the hb212v to india because according to indian customs they cant ship any item weighting over 20kg to india it weights 25-26k when packed
    and its a very reputated site i had the same query,search for is thomann a legit site on ug i had asked that q a month back maybe
    cheers
    and there's more to building cabs than putting a speaker inside a box keep that in mind

16. deepsal

deepsal New Member

well well well bad luck sorry i wanted to buy a hb212v too i had odered it....2 days later i recieved an email saying sorry we cant ship the hb212v to india because according to indian customs they cant ship any item weighting over 20kg to india it weights 25-26k when packed
    and its a very reputated site i had the same query,search for is thomann a legit site on ug i had asked that q a month back maybe
    cheers
    and there's more to building cabs than putting a speaker inside a box keep that in mind

17. theghost

theghost New Member

@aryashridar
    Where did u get the tubes from and how much did they cost?
    I searched but couldn't find and boost mods for it.

18. aryasridhar

aryasridhar New Member

@deepsal - Thanks for the info about thomann, as far as building cabs is concerned, I already built one cab and it sounds neat, it was a 1x10 cab with the Laney cub 10 speaker in it, removed the one from the laney, i did not finish it well enough as i was short of money,

I know what I am doing with cab building, I have done enough research, sourced places from where i can get the stuff i need, e.g. Tolex, grill cloth etc etc etc. Dimensions have been worked out with consultation from sources who know what building cabs are all about. So I mean to say I know cab building is not just about putting the speaker into the cab.

19. aryasridhar

aryasridhar New Member

I am not aware of any mods either, a friend travelling from the US got the tubes for me, had ordered through Musicians Friend. do not remember the cost though, but can say didn't cost a lot. I would recommend JJ Power tubes and EH Preamp Tubes, they make a fantastic pair.