-SPAM- Thread - Buy/Sell

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by laneymaney, Apr 30, 2007.

1. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

Roy gets his cabs made by ERISA. They use speakers made in chennai called Samra i think which roy says are quite good.

2. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

Thanks Sridhar, I don't suppose you have a contact number or something with you

3. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

How much would a Framus 2x12 lookalike cost me?

4. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

Building the cab is easy, Its the speakers in them that can kill you

5. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

Nah sorry..but i suppose if you can contact erisa you can get it. If i come accross it i'll let you know.

6. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

How easy are we talking about? I want the tolex and metal grill...i can buy speakers in like diff times...one speaker now...the next in 5 months...but the cab is whats holding me back...thats if i did want one

7. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

do it in photoshop, get some prints made and show it around . Around SJP rd. there should be PA cab makers, ask them if they'll do it, ask some carpenters. If you can't get tolex you could try those seat cover guys. whatever works i guess.

I'm not too sure about a metal grille. Have you seen that done. I have a feeling it would interfere with your sound

8. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

9. raj.hendrix

raj.hendrix New Member

since ure a nice guy...here's Erisa's number :)

10. Nouman011

Nouman011 New Member

@ tallkien,
    18 watt lite? How's that Different from a P1ex? and how much would that cost? The video is pretty sweeet. Now thats TONE.

Oh and for the firefly, it wasn't the loudness I was concerned about. More like the Clean Headroom.

Oh and PM me ur number. We'll try to finalize it once and for all.

11. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

OMG! Thats the tone! sweet! Awesome VID!

12. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

the Firefly has very little if any clean headroom, its purely for bedroom practice and meant to be pushed hard.

Now the P1eX and the 18W are VERY different amps. The first is a Single Ended(SE) Class A and the other is a Push-Pull(PP) Class AB. Its quite exhaustive to explain what these are so I'll do the smarter thing and point you there...

https://www.aikenamps.com/SingleEnded.htm

The P1 eX is Class A so it sounds rich, has great Lower order Harmonics that sound real sweet but some might say it sounds mushy which makes it very suitable for blues but not much else. I wouldn't play metal through an SE amp.

The 18W is definitive Marshall sound in a mini package but its still too loud for some people(go figure). PP amps are typically powerful and sound tighter than SE, but as you can tell from that clip, its suited to all styles. It's slightly costlier than SE because it needs two tubes. and some serious noise reduction precautions are needed. For that reason I need a bigger chassis to work with so this is not offered as a 10w conversion. 20W or above is OK

Another major difference is the P1eX creates its distortion mostly in the preamp whereas the 18 does it in the power stage. This is a huge tonal difference and makes the latter truly special. To do the same thing with a JCM you'll need to move to Palace Grounds. The 18 gives you cranked tube tone at not so loud volumes, which explains why there's a site dedicated to this amp that Marshall produced only for a few years originally and then stopped (They've reissued it now as the handwired 1974)

The 18 also comes in another flavor. The 18wTMB. A two channel version, basically a lite and a second high gain channel, that won't need a pedal in front. You can also bridge the two channels if you want or use an A/B box to switch between the two. the TMB and the 36W are not available as a mod job

The 18W Lite is offered at 11k (9.5k for mod job). If you've ever lusted for a budget Marshall tube, look no further. This amp has been used at big gigs but at big gigs if you need more clean headroom you should opt for the 36, but If you want to play classic ACDC type Rock N Roll go 18. This amp truly is a legend and worth every rupee. They both are actually but you decide what you want.

13. Nouman011

Nouman011 New Member

The 18W lite it is then. I guess i can manage 11k in a couple of weeks. If it sounds anything like that video clip you posted, it should be worth more than every rupee. How about maintainance and minor repairs? How long will it take for you to make it?

14. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

On a personal note I wish someone would decide on the 18 'coz I'm really itching to build this one, so let me know today please

15. Nouman011

Nouman011 New Member

OK dude. Confirmed. I'm 500 rupees short at the moment, but will have it in a week or two.

16. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

If you want the head I'll score the parts here and come and assemble it there. Given I'll be at home full time (apart from a few things I need to do) it shouldn't take more than a week. This amp is fixed bias so you don't need to do much more than look after it. If there are any problems, I keep coming to bangalore on and off but you shouldn't have any complaints. I won't give it it you until I'm satisfied with it.

There are a few rules regarding working with tubes amps but those are part and parcel of owning these things

17. Nouman011

Nouman011 New Member

I was thinking more along the lines of a combo. But I guess in the long run, a head would be nicer. Whatever is more convenient to you man. And I'm in Hyderabad, so thats where the amp will be residing. Think it'll be done by June?

Edit. A week? nice.

18. yazi

yazi Banned

Holy shit man. Get that amp. Buying a car, once I get that over with, I will get an amp!

19. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

A combo would be costlier, and I'm yet to sort out those speaker options. Go for the head, plug it into whatever you can right now and when you have the money, go in for a good speaker cab. Speakers will make a world of difference. I'm trying to get those sammi's so let's see. Some people have traded their Celestion Silvers for these speakers and they cost less than half the other guy's. I have very high expectations from them.

Their dealership here will have an Import license so if we are to get Sammi's into India they'll be the best people to talk to but it'll make sense only if there are atleast 50 items on order. To order singles for us will just be unfeasable, but I'm getting one for myself just to try out

20. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

So I take it you're (Nouman) confirming the 18W Lite? Say yes or no and I'll get to work right away but please don't change your mind. That'll get me very upset. I need to buy parts here so I need to know for sure....and I'm close to broke myself right now :(