-SPAM- Thread - Buy/Sell

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by laneymaney, Apr 30, 2007.

1. raj.hendrix

raj.hendrix New Member

its all good man. :) you're still "da man" hehehe

do keep me updated about the 3pdt switches. i know www.smallbearelec.com sells them but theyre 10 bucks a piece. actually its the shipping thats concerning me.

2. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

I respect you! why else would i spend 5,000 virtual money on buying you a nice title :]

3. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

www.pedalpartsplus.com ..3PDTswitches for $4..it aint cheaper than that anywhere.

4. raj.hendrix

raj.hendrix New Member

and the shipping?

5. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

No easy way out there :(

6. Nouman011

Nouman011 New Member

@ talllkien.

Ok dude, I'm all for it. Can you tell me what the difference between a P1 Extreme with the Octal (what?) that you suggested for me, and a Hi-Octane is?
    What do I need to send you? Apart from the Money. If you are in bangalore, I may know people there so we wont have to worry about shipping and money transfer, etc.

7. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

Ok, a typical High Octane has 3 gain stages Vs 2 in the extreme. A stock Octane also uses a noval (9 pin) output tube (EL84) whereas the P1 eX uses an octal output tube(8-pin) (6V6/6L6/EL34/KT66/KT88)
    The most obvious difference is the amount of options available for an octal socket. You can buy each of those tubes and get a totally different sound to your amp just by swapping tubes. Octals typically also sound warmer and can handle more power although in this circuit you'll find the EL84 is just as loud if not louder (in some cases). The stock P1eX has an EL34. (JSX,JCM x00,etc.) I like this tube but I've heard good things about the KTs although those are more expensive, will try them someday.

So essentially the Octane is higher gain-Lower Output while the P1eX is Lower Gain, higher ouput (giggable). My own amp is (now) a combination of the two, HO preamp-P1eX power amp. Trust me you don't need the extra gain if you have a nice OD and/or Booster. Distortion also is welcome but kills the soft clipping nature of a tube amp. One of those AMTs will sound killer through this amp. Both are single ended Class A amps.

Now if you want me to mod your existing small stranger et al I'll do it for 6.5k+ship to a P1eX. Basically I'll need your amp and the money of course. I'm leaving for bangalore in 3-4 days so let me know and I'll bring the parts with me and assemble it there. That'll save you shipping costs. I can do either that or build an 18W Lite which is a very different animal. I'm short of cash right now so I only do either one. confirm ASAP

8. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

dont forget me when u get all famous and arrogant please!

9. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

I'm actually over and done with the fame. The arrogance they keep reminding me about, chill I'm from a dying breed of nice guys, sometimes too much for my own good

10. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

cool, then i dont have to worry abt discounts lolz

11. raj.hendrix

raj.hendrix New Member

@tallkien: dude, what about me...i'm in delhi...if i ask you to build me one of those 18w light amps...can u do it?

and can i connect the amp to the behringer cab sim? because i don't know where i'll get the money for a cabinet and theyre anyway so rare.

and will u be able to put an effects loop in it?

12. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

I can do your 18 lite when I get back here. I've got a new place with some workspace. I still would like to enjoy a short vacation and not go all crazy just building amps.

And a Cab Sim is NOT a substitute for a speaker so you cannot use it like that. A tube amp will blow up without a speaker connected. You can start saving and I'll just send you a combo. Roy uses some speakers from chennai, if someone can find out what those are we have an option available, otherwise I'll just ask him. Why don't you call those sammi folks in noida and find out about those. I'm sure if we look we'll get something we can use. Or even ask a manufacturer to make some higher spec Instrument speakers, if there's enough demand who knows...they just might.

13. raj.hendrix

raj.hendrix New Member

a combo would be perfect! and take your time, ill start saving up :)

whats sammi? some speaker manufacturer? what exactly do i ask them?

basically an 18 watt combo with an effects loop and a line-out would be the perfect thing for me, not really looking for a high gain amp, one which will give me good cleans(like a fender)

the p1 ex is a low gain high output amp right? that means ill get good cleans and can use ods and fuzz pedals along with it?

14. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

Question at tallkien:

Can i buy a head and use my laney as a cab. It has a 8ohm thingy! could i have a head over it?

15. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

that's how I use my amp. If you modify the Laney such that the amp connects to the speaker via the jack then you simply swap amps as and when you like :)

16. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

Sweet!....gotta sell ibanez...gotta buy t00b head lolz

17. yazi

yazi Banned

Talkein, why dont u put all that u can make and their costs in one thread.For easy ref?

And I want my stranger moded. Later I will put an 8 inch celestion in.

18. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

Because there are that many combos that can be made. A lot of these preamps can be mated to a lot of poweramp options. I myself don't yet know how much it'll cost to make all of them so bear with me for a while. different folks want different things.

btw where are you going to get celestions from?

19. yazi

yazi Banned

music123.com

20. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

nice...tell me how they work...i will order some acessories from them some time August...just ordered some patch cables from a friend in Aus..