Source for Bass Guitar Keys.

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by Luthier, Mar 31, 2005.

1. Luthier

Luthier New Member

Helo Guys
    Do u have any source info. on where to find Good compact Bass guitar keys. Any place will do.
    :eek::
    I'm building a 5-string bass guitar and am stuck on the keys......
    Help anybody...?? How about Tulsi guitars or Pro Musicals....??Any contact nos......??

2. shak

shak Harrr!

i think "stewmac" people deliver worldwide .. do check first ..cuz for guitar hardware .. or luthier supplies nothin beats stewmac

3. Luthier

Luthier New Member

Hey shahrukh
    Thanx for the reply , i know stewmac and have ten free catalogs of them.
    But u know what , The customs dept. says i can't make international purchases since i do not have an import lisence..ppfff.
    I had recieved parts from korea and i landed in trouble with an inquiry and somehow convinced them that they are for personal use. (after khilao pilao).
    I cannot sell my guitars if i buy under "PERSONAL USE".
    Hence, any source in INDIA that can take orders....?????
    I ned bulk quantity.
    Thanx anyway.

4. shak

shak Harrr!

hmm ... i am not india ... i live in UK... so i dont know any local indian merchants...well i could have bought the stuff from here and then mailed it to ya ... i think that way no one would have objected ... but u need that in bulk quantities ... hmm .. i dont think i will be able to handle that ..and secondly ... buying hardware in GBP sterlings is not a very good idea (1 GBP= 100 rupees approx.?)... i am sure other people here at IGT would come with a solution ...
    by the way check the local yellow pages and try to get in touch with local guitar industries..they might be able to help you out

5. Luthier

Luthier New Member

Hey Shahrukh thanx again for wanting to help me.....really appreciate it.
    There are no manufacturers mentioned in the yellow pages here.
    It's not a big industry (manufacturing guitars).
    Anyway atleast can u let me know the price of some good 5-string bass guitar keys set. Something like the compact ones, not the costly one's though.
    I'll be happy to hear from you again. My latest bass would have INTARSIA styling laminate for the top. P.J style pickup config and a headphone jack to it for private practice sessions so that the neighbours don't rattle in their chest cavities.
    Regards

P.S:- Hey JAYANTH are u reading this...???

6. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

@shahrukh: 1 GBP = 82 Indian Rupees.

shak likes this.
  7. Luthier

Luthier New Member

whow..!!
    Thanx D.M.F

8. shak

shak Harrr!

will look into keys, luthier...no problem..
    dont forget to post pics when you are finished, but first, tell me something ... what is a P.J style p.up config? .. sorry i am an absolute novice to bass guitars ...
    and yeah ...a head phone jack!! ..wow .. thats a nice idea ... by the way, that will require an on board amp or pre-amp ... what amp/pre-amp are you goin for?
    and another thing ... have you looked into neck-thru-body type bass guitar constructions? .. they are excellent .. is this guitar of yours ...bolt-on or fixed?
    (i am really excited cuz i am very much into guitar construction and luthier work ... i am a regular at frets.com and mercantile international etc. ... so yeah nice to see another luthier on IGT ....)
    keep rocking ... or shall i say keep sanding ... :)

9. Luthier

Luthier New Member

Good Morning Shahrukh
    Mine will be a bolt-on with deep set neck. I have made a neck-through rythm guitar before but it is very tricky in getting the neck angle right. So i chose not to do it with a bass........
    I am into luthiery for the ART of it and not commercially.
    A p-j is precision-jass style which has a split pickup as well as a single coil.
    The head-phone jack will be done using existing circuitry from a small walkman(personal stereo).
    What u do is remove the HEAD of the walkie and fix a output jack to it and play ur guitar .
    U might get an auto-distortion because of the high pickup output.
    If that is not desired then connect some resistance in between or trace the HOT wire of the head untill u reach the first transistor and connect the wire here.
    It depends on circuit design etc.
    ...keep checking n u will get it.
    The one i made for a client(friend) works really fine.
    Then u incorporate all this into a small cassette cover ,the ones that are heat protecting, and somehow cram it into it and play on...........
    oops did i give away too many trade secrets...???

regards and keep in touch.
    --luthier--

10. shak

shak Harrr!

got it!! ... the p-j thing and the walkman thing as well ..
    i haev got that p-j thing on my les paul as well .. i use a push-pull pot to turn my neck pickup into single coil or a humbucker ..i am thinking of putting a sweet swtich to make it go in-phase and out-of-phase with a flick ... wish me good luck.
    and that walkman thing is cool too ... imean wh didnt i think of it ... i have a walkman with a graphic equ. on it, i will try and make a protable amp for my guitar ... but i think i will need to add a shunt resistance in parallel with the input ... cuz humbucker output is really high ...
    well thnx for the replys ... will keep in touch
    cheers

11. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

Hey I am interested in all this stuff too(though I dont even have an elec yet:eek::)
    planning to drive the custom guitar-maker mad when I go to him..:p:
    U said u r got a push-pull pot on your (3-way??) switch....why din u go for a 5-way switch(u have a custom LP right?)...maybe with the positions being
    neck hb
    bridge hb
    both hb
    neck(outer) single-coil
    neck sc with bridge hb...
    or watever combo u want(including some phase reversed ones).....is 5-way wiring very costly?and obviously u need both 4-conductor pickups..are they costlier too?
    BTW how does phase reversal affect tone(noise cancellation is achieved I believe?)