Soundproofing completely sound proof a room

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by chintan9, Jun 24, 2005.

1. chintan9

chintan9 yay! i won the ipod!

What do i need to do to completely sound proof a room?

2. anirban.d.das

anirban.d.das New Member

send ur family on a vacation ;)

3. chintan9

hahahahha
    anyways, my neighbours are the ones giving me problems

4. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Play Acoustic. Dont plug in. Luckily I have good neighbours. I play till 1am almost everyday. I once asked my neighbour if the sound is heard in their house and if it disturbs them. They said they liked it and absolutely had no problems.

Anyway for Sound Proofing, check out some Interior Decorators or some Sound System guys like Acoustic Control or Reynolds. They might have some idea. Keeping all your windows closed and also having heavy curtains helps to some extent.

5. Alfons

Alfons C.F.H

even i hav problems of neighbours complainin
    once my band was practising in ur drummers place and 1 of his neighbours called the COPS!!! (really ) :tele:

6. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

Use headphones..:p:

7. chintan9

ronnie -play acoustic? What about the drums? Thats the culprit. We guitarists can turn down but the poor drummer has no other option.

8. ronnieanand

You needn't bang bang on the drums. You can easily play soft. Infact that's one of the drummer's main job. If the mix has done injustice to guitar on a gig, the drummer should be able to vary his touch but still retain the punch. Infact I dont like drummers who bang bang on the kit. I once auditioned a drummer who busted my ear drums for 4 hours. I am scared of that guy now.

As of now try putting some two layers of heavy curtains on all your windows. Usually for sound proofing, they use some kind of padded coir which absorbs sound hell a lot. That's what they do in all movie theaters. It might get really expensive if you want to do that. So try using a lot of sound absorbers in your room. You can have a lot of cushions and things like that in your room which also absorbs a lot of sound. It might kill a bit of reverb but at least your neighbours will be in peace. Another thing is dampen your drums skins heavily whenever you play inside your house. This will reduce the volume quite a lot.

I have seen Electronic Drums practice kits available. Dont have ideas about the cost. That's another alternative. You can have all cymbals, high hat, double bass and everything. Since it's electronic, you can easily control the volume irrespective of the touch,

9. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

man u can use heavy carpet for curtains ... and padding the doors ...
    anyway carpet on the floor wil help in absorbing the sound ...

but sure it'll kill the reverb ...

for bass and snare ... u can put a piece of carpet ... that'll reduce the sound ... for cymbals and hihats --- its upto the drummer to control his enthu ...

10. real_illusions

real_illusions Clapton Is GOD

I know this sounds weird but I've tried it and it works decently enough to reduce the noise if not totally silence it. It's also very cheap.

Cover the walls with a couple of layers of thick thermocol. It's way cheaper than actually soundproofing and also has a bit of a cooling effect.

It wont completely silence it but will reduce it a great bit. Also gives a weird reverb if you're playing acoustic(depending on the shape of the room).

Also the thick carpeting is a must, especially under the drums and the bass amp.

Also, putting a pillow inside the bass drum will help, if you can deal with the muffled sound.

11. greenday

greenday New Member

got called twice...then we were forced to crash at my friends place for practices

12. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

Completely soundproofing a room is expensive. Very expensive. Often soundproofing a room for music can cost up to $5000 for a professional job.

My suggestion is to look for other alternatives (such as headphones, electronic drumkits etc.) and leave redoing the walls as a last resort. Also you can try ronnieanand's suggestions of using heavy curtains as these will help dampen the amount of sound that escapes from the room. You must be careful though because too much dampening can play havoc with the room's acoustics. This is especially important if you intend to record in said room. It is however a cheap and quick alternative to getting a professional job done.

Here's a link with some useful tips about soundproofing a room for music practice:
    http://soundproofing.org/infopages/Music_room.htm

Also if in the future you would consider actual getting a professional to soundproof your room you can visit these sites:

http://doityourself.com/wall/soundproofceilingandwall.htm
    http://www.ehow.com/how_15992_soundproof-room.html
    http://www.drumdojo.com/tech/soundpro.htm

13. rammy

rammy Guitar=Dope ; Me=Addict

this is wierder but works wonders(illusion take a note): u can cover ur wlls with the cardboard boxes in which they deliver eggs aka egg trays if u want some decor then spray paint on them or something, this may sound wierd but i saw this on news once when these guys were running an internet radio in a single room and had a park next to it so they had covered their entire walls with it,they had made to the news with it, cheapest alternative to high end soundproofing, also once in an auditorium i saw they had covered there ceilings with glued dessert cooler padslike a tile work and then painted them for effects, paint again does the glue part, this might help too but sure bout egg tray thing, go try , its worth it ;-)

14. real_illusions

real_illusions Clapton Is GOD

It's not that much weirder because all the items you mentioned have essentially the same materials as thermocol.
    Besides, I doubt if you want to go around looking for around a thousand egg trays to cover your walls with.

15. ronnieanand

Chintan disappeared. The whole discussion was for him.

16. chintan9

Nope i am here. Anyways my point is I want to sound proof the room and at the same time i want to keep most of the acoustics intact. I dont want the room to sound dead. I guess the thermocol idea is pretty practical, will try that.

See the thing about carpets is that it collects a lot of dust and its one hell of a job to clean it. Is there any other way I could achieve the same effect of the carpets.

17. ronnieanand

Instead of carpets use heavy linen Blankets. Acoustic will remain intact as long as you dont over do your dampening. Thermocol is an excellent insulating agent too, so your room might be pretty cool too. If the heat gets it then it could become unbearably hot too. First try dampening with curtains and heavy linen blankets on the floor. Keep some cushions or pillows here and there. With trial and error check out a way to get the right balance between noise level and the room acoustics. This is whole new art and science where plenty of people take it as a serious profession itself so dont expect extraordinary results with just a few things.

18. chintan9

Will try that. So coming to the thermocols again, what is the best way to put these thermocols on the walls without actually affecting the wall (painting , texture etc)

19. chintan9

I mean dont tell me something like stick the thermocol on the walls and stuff, cause the owner might just kick us out. Any other easy way?

20. ronnieanand

You might need to build something like an artificial wall with hardboard which pads the thermocol between the board and the wall or call a few guys and ask them to hold the thermocol to the wall all the time till you are playing ;)

Hey Chintan, sound proofing is pretty difficult. That's why I said go with Heavy Curtains and Heavy Linen Carpets. Else just spend a few lakhs and get it done professionally. You wont go anywhere trying with the thermocols or coirs for a simple jam room. Just think and tell how will you stick it without pasting or anything. You need to pad the walls, you need to have to cover the door too. That's why I am trying to drive the discussion towards dampening than Sound proofing. For simple things dampening is the way to go or just go plain acoustic. If you can invest, then invest on a practice pad which is volume adjustable.