SOS : PLZ help me with using the rp 80

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by limpbelevr, Feb 24, 2006.

1. limpbelevr

limpbelevr New Member

guys just bought the rp 80,was it a good buy?but cant figure out how to use it the manual sucks.....the distortion patches r not at all punchy is there any way i can make it sound heavier..i just bought a ibanez rg270 is it a good combination...wanna get those metallica n pantera sounds...plz GIVE ME SOME GUIDANCE COZ IM NEW TO ALL THIS....

2. debankan

debankan The bassist from hell

RP 80 is equivalent to Zoom 606II, so I won't say it is an excellent buy, but it is not a bad buy either. RP 80 has much better noise reduction than Zoom 606II. I cannot help you with using it. Ask for help from some one who uses a digitech processor.

3. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

I have a gnx3, which is the much bigger brother of the rp80. Doesnt mamtter too much which guitar you have, you'll eventually get the panthera ad metallica sound as long as you have decent humbuckers, which you do.

you might want to read the processor guide for some basic things about the rp series. i dont like the rps too much. one reason is that it cant operate in stompbox mode. which is again explained in the guide. but then again, its not too bad for its price. listen to some of the recordings of it at digitechs website.

4. limpbelevr

limpbelevr New Member

hey thanks for the adivise..got loads a cool patches from rhe digitech site,...from where can i get the di marzio humbuckers for my guitar????n how much will they approximately cost...i got my ibanez rg270 for 15k...is it a good buy???compared to kramer??could i have got somethin better with that money???from where can i get more patches.. for my rp 80??

5. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

first - calm down. mess around with the rig you have right now. dont worry about changing your pickups just yet. they can be changed anytime. secondly - the best way to familiarise yourself with the rp is to mess around with it. dont be afraid of experimenting because you cant overwrite factory patches. (half are factory and other half are user patches) intitally theyre just repeats but you can edit user patches. so mess about wth the user patches. keep experimenting. work on finding nice amp simulations, work on the equaliser. get the basics right - i know your first temptation will be to try all the wahs and that stuff, but leave that for later. get the basics of a nice sound first. after you start to understand how to get the sound you want and are faimiliar with the amp sims, start to work on modualtion effects like chorus (most important by far) and then move on to messing about with the wah settings. sometimes a really simple sound is what does the trick, its not always a really cool sounding chorus that makes a song sound good - often it jsut doesnt fit with thje song you are playing. next after you have wahs and chrous - try and move to getting a good reverb. again -its not impoartant to have thew msot reverb for all your songs - different songs need different settings -s o learn how to get an reverb that you want - once you are comfortable with these settings, you will be able to craete a patch to simualte a sound within a minute - it of course wont be a percfect replica of that sound, but dont worry that much.

dont look back - you bought a guitar that most people say is one of the best deals you can get - the low end ibanez rgs (such as the 270) are in quality terms 90% as good as the most expensive ones.this is not always true for all guitars, you made a good choice. the rg is a versatile guitar - you can get a good range of tones on it - its got a h-s-h configuration which makes it so versatile. just stick to what you have for right now. the only reason you would really want to consider another guitar at this point is if you are jamming with a band that essentially requires you to keep channig your tuning. then having a guitar with a floyd rose or floyd rse type bridge is a good idea.