SOS....i am in no man's land

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by brainydexter, Jul 2, 2004.

1. brainydexter

brainydexter New Member

Hello....

Well i just joined dis forum....now i am a beginner....ive recently bought this acoustic guitar....have been doing some reading here n there....but havent relly progressed much....i know d basic chromatic scale.....i understand d logic behind d note-spread on fretboard....well that is it....that is all...i know...i have been practising d warm up exercises on 1st four frets for some time now.....but i really want to do some progress here....it gets more frustrating day by day.....so if anyone can suggest me as to what to should i do ....as in.....what shud be d next thing that i shud learn......looking fwd to ur reply.... :)
    Thanx........

2. MARS

MARS Mars Ji...Finally!!!!!

When it comes to Guitar ,there are Two P's for Success..
    PRACTICE &
    PATIENCE..
    Nothing else!!

3. jijo

jijo New Member

I support Mars. Satrt with the basic chords C A G E D ( all major and all open).learn to play them well individually then in succession, then get goin on to play songs with these chords and get going on to barre ................I did just this

4. brainydexter

brainydexter New Member

further suggestion required....

hello ppl....

Well.....ok i wud now take up learning chords......but as i started searching for them....oh my GOD!!! :shock: there are so many of them.....isnt there something like simple basic chords.....and their notes.....????

5. jayanth

jayanth <.: : Call Quits : :.>

Download the chord chart from anywebsite.. Learn the fingering and also lear chord changes.. Strumming patterns..

6. MARS

MARS Mars Ji...Finally!!!!!

Hi...
    Yes brain...
    there are umpteen no. of guitar chords..but as Jijo suggested..u need to learn only the basic chords to start with...
    practice them and be perfect in them..then proceed to the next level..
    :beer:

7. brainydexter

brainydexter New Member

:think:

i dnlded dis sftware called software guitar pro v5.....its got a lot of chords...even plays dem in modes:slow n fast....tells u abt d fingering...but the chords are like major minor n etc etc.......there are these no. also as in.....a7....some wierd combos......cud someone pls tell me what exactly is dat??? And how do i decipher dat????

Chao :rock:

8. jayanth

GP5 is an amazing creation... YOu can learn virtually anything there is..

9. jazzyme

jazzyme New Member

just to add to this , apart from the basic major and minor chords how important are 7ths, 6ths and 9th chords in playing the guitar.like cant we just do with the majors and minors

10. jayanth

You can.. But if you are totally into acoustic theuy you will use them when playing classical pieces.. But it important to learn the theory behind the 7th , etc.. I dont think you need to learn them by hart..

try www.cyberfret.com they have all the theory necessary..

11. kams

kams Banned

Take the guitar lessons at
    https://guitar.about.com/library/blguitarlessonarchive.htm

They are very good. But you have to follow them as its written. I started learning guitar some days back and I am following these lessions ( I would say blindly).

My idea of learning is "Make somebody/something your teacher and follow him/her/it"

And that the above lessons.

regards
    -kams

12. dhim

dhim New Member

Dexter,

Let me tell you that its not easy learning guitar without some initial help specially if you are an absolute fresher in music.

If possible play the guitar with a friend who has been playing for some while and its best if you can have a Pro. or a teacher to help you out.

This will help you a lot and above all you wont have that frustation of being no where.

I started learning guitar single handedly and crashed with a thud.

I got enrolled in a local school learnt the basics and now I am growing thanx to the Internet, IGT and other sites on whom I heavily rely on.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

DHiM

13. jayanth

Basically i learnt watching the g3 and Live shit and Cunning stunts etc DVDs.. Maybe that will help.. My whole damn Van Halen DVDs also helped a lot..

14. Myth_Pharoah

Myth_Pharoah New Member

Where did you find Guitar Pro 5? I thought only 4 was out... :S

15. brainydexter

brainydexter New Member

Hi all...

People thanks for replying, all these suggestions have been helping me a lot. I have decided to let go of everything and just practice the chromatic scale till i can play it on a blitzkreig speed :cool: , but the only problem is that at times it gets too boring. Anyhow, I found GP5 and even got a way to use it permanently...

Brainydexter :beer:

16. jayanth

Scales give you an itch in thge butt for sometime.. But really with out them We are nothing..