Some questions..

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by raj.hendrix, May 21, 2007.

1. raj.hendrix

raj.hendrix New Member

i have tried the tubescreamer but as a standalone unit. didnt like it. a very gay pedal. too frigging smooth hahaha

well, i suppose it might sound good and that was what i was initially planning to do. Get a fuzz box and be happy. but the unreliability of amps at gigs has made me highly cynical about depending on them. therefore a sansamp is the safest bet. I might even get a Behringer Cab sim to put after it since ive read in a lot of reviews that the sansamp speaker sim is not that good.

and by the way the BD-2 is a lovely clean booster pedal. it should add all the grit required to the tri-ac. and with a bit of dirt from the BD-2, who knows :)
    by the way all this is simply theoretical, i hope u can shed some light on it being the proud owner of one of the tech21 beasts :)

2. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Arre I was saying about using T00bscreamer as boost to BD-2.

And when I say boost (as do counltess other guitarists), it means you use drive in both the pedals. You dont use it just as a clean boost.

Regarding Triac's speaker sim, I guess it is pretty good, atleast in live settings. In direct recording, ppl prefer lifeless tone which has no presence, in that triac suffers. You need to put something after triac to make its tone duller in order to remove the high end.

btw BD-2 (on drive) and Triac (on drive) might be able to replace fuzz, if dialled correctly. :p

3. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

hehe, my first impression was you guys were being a little extravagant after some small success

4. raj.hendrix

raj.hendrix New Member

yes i know, i hoping for the same :)

@tallkien: we were, we're a poor band...we get money, we are happy and we spend like there's no tomorrow hahaha! and when you're getting stuff for free...its even better :)

5. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

Dude, which fuzz do you have? Try this(works very well if your fuzz cleans up with guitar volume): Place the fuzz first in your effects chain, then the tubescreamer / clone and then the BD2. A fuzz going into a light overdrive(BD2) or smooth overdrive(like TS) sounds awesome. And the volume knob gives you a lot of options. Also you can use TS pushing the BD2 with this setup, that would also sound cool I guess.

TS sucks as a standalone unit on clean SS amps(I am guessing it does a great job pushing a tube amp, for which it was designed). If you can get your hands on one ,try an Arion Tubulator. Cheaply made, costs $10-15 on sale, but sounds real good to me. Do not limit yourself to a TS9 for $100 or worse a ts808 for $170. Buy a cheaper Boss SD-1 for a similar functionality or if your budget is higher, there are tons of TS alternatives available at similar prices.

BTW, I really dig that you guys are playing Classic Rock/Blues stuff..its my favorite kind of music:)

6. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

^ I think I got his probelm.
    He is gigging most of the times.

And he wants set-up that would allow him to do direct to mix without any probelm.

So he has to have some amp simulation thingie in his circuit.
    TS/SD/Fuzz/BD all these would sound sharp and trebly or weak, muddy if sent directly to mix.

7. raj.hendrix

raj.hendrix New Member

thank you alpha1 and for that you will get a cookie :)

@ne.... : thanks man, although our originals are more rock funk blues oriented but yes, i like what i play :) :)

8. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

I recommend a Behringer GI100 DI box/cab sim..if you can get it from US its just $35.

9. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

I just checked out a couple of your Hendrix vids..will check out the others over the weekend...and I dig funk too:)

10. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

But the behringer's box is just speaker emulation, that means it will just take care of the direct recording part.

What about amp voicing?
    I dont think BD-2 voices any guitar amp in particular.
    I guess if you put BD-2 via Behringer box, all that behringer would do is to tame down the high end (like a speaker cab would do).

But its not gonna bring out the lower mids (or higher mids depending on voicing) and treble which a guitar amp circuit particularly does inorder to compensate for pickup's ffrequency curve. (The reason why stranger sounds utterly crappy)

11. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

Ermm..no. Most cab simulators will have a frequency response modelled after some speaker cab, with a notch in the mids and the bass and treble response enhanced. Cutting off high end is the simplest passive tone control, basically a low-pass RC combination. Plus the Behringer is a DI box with features like clipping indicator and adjustable signal attenuation to remedy it. It will be a useful tool even if you turn the cab sim off / use the line-out of your amp to the mixer.

But what you say is correct too. You need a pedal modelled after some amp for best results. A boost/light overdrive pedal like BD2 might sound odd going in direct.

12. raj.hendrix

raj.hendrix New Member

exactly why i shall go for a sansamp WITH the behringer GI100...i think that'll be perfect. with my nice little boss ge-7 and the bd-2 driving the sansamp...wah! majja aa jayega :)

13. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

^ Use the GE-7 after Sansamp.
    The idiots have mids control centered at 500Hz, adjusting which doesnt make your tone honky/flat.

500Hz acts more like warmth control. With slight effect on honkiness.

14. raj.hendrix

raj.hendrix New Member

ya ya thats what i meant. BD-2->Sansamp->GE-7

mids at 500??? i thought mids were more between 600-1000..

So if i do get the behringer GI100, my signal will be what...? since i have a delay pedal also, it'll have to go after the GE-7 right?

Guitar->wah->bd-2->sansamp->ge-7->delay->gi100??

15. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

Ok now just in case you cant get a hold of the sansamp and GI100 might i suggest just getting a pedal with a cab simulator...they are a way cheaper option plus they'll let you go direct. Most Digitech pedals have that...i have a bad monkey and i love it...i dont use an amp for recording and i get studio quality tone from the pedal...its easily the best pedal i've had yet. It makes other pedals sound good through it too. Made my old DS-1 sound like one from a proper amp instead of the fizzy scrathy sound i used to get before.

Digitech pedals have the cab emulated out and i think even AMT does...you might wanna try that.

If you wanna check out how the bad monkey sounds check out the song Bad monkey groove on my site...the whole of the guitar parts is the pedal except for the shred part.

And belive me if you get a bad monkey and put a BD-2 to drive it you're gonna get a really really FAT distorted sound that you'll love...plus you have lots of tone options with the 2 pedals combined...

16. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

That chain looks to be correct. I have always seen people recommending an EQ after the distortions for a lot of sound options, and delay after distortion is pretty much standard usage. Having said that, sometimes the unconventional might give you a tone you like..so play around once you get your pedals:)

17. raj.hendrix

raj.hendrix New Member

I remember trying out a bad monkey before i bought the BD-2, its a nice pedal but found that the BD-2 could do all that the BM did and MUCH more but then again its more expensive too...Oh by the way, i've tried a bad monkey + bd-2 combination..yes, the tone is fat but horribly messy with little distinction in notes...i believe the soft clipping of both the pedals really screwed up the clarity of notes. Although i can't comment on the cab sim of the BM since i didnt try it out.

And a sansamp is a sansamp. and since i'm getting it from USA and i have some cash saved up, i think it'll be a good long term investment.

@neb... - I really think using the EQ for a specific pedal like eqing the distortion REALLY provides u a lot of options..
    if i had a lot of cash (after buying a bunch of Plexis)i'd buy a frigging EQ for each pedal i own and one just after the guitar and one at the END of the chain :)

and the GE-7 it really fattens up my BD-2, i love my GE-7 and the BD-2 to death :)

18. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Hey but EQing the signal before overdrive/distortion can also give you really different tones.

19. raj.hendrix

raj.hendrix New Member

well, u put an eq AFTER the equipment you're eqing.

so....if u put guitar>eq>dirtbox....u'll eq the guitar tone.
    if u put guiar>wah>eq...u'll eq the guitar + wah tone(and moreover u'll eq the wah tone)
    ....and so on and so forth.

okay if anyone starts giving me technical stuff to contradict what i said above..well...SCREW YOU :)

i'm just saying this after trying out the eq in various positions...since it can be used ANYWHERE(except to clean you're toilet...wait...actually the frequency markers MIGHT just help...see...you can use it ANYWHERE :) )

20. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Dude, thats what I was also saying.
    :p: