Some Ideas and Opinions on Buying Guitar

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by Aberforth, Mar 31, 2006.

1. Aberforth

Aberforth New Member

I am an avid fan of rock music and a computer engineering student for the last 9 years and I really really want to learn rock music. I have budget of Rs. 15000 - 20000 for an electric guitar. I read the sticky thread about buying guitars but I am wondering if it is a good idea for me to get an acoustic guitar or better to get an electric to start away with.

Secondly I would like to know if there are any available decent guitars in my price range and what are the equipments I would need (in addition to the base guitar). Could you guitarists help me deciding and tell me a little about the models/prices/specs available in Delhi.

PS: I have no relatives in US/UK so importing is out of question.

2. sanju_strings

sanju_strings 50 Pai$e <3V/S<3 50 CeNt$

buy a acoustic all i can say dun no bout price or anything cheers ;)

3. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

HEHE
    Man ifff your desire is really strong, and you are sure taht you will stick to guitar no matter what, then get your ass moving and buy an electric guitar pronto.

4. Aberforth

Aberforth New Member

It would be helpful if someone could give a more complete opinion. ;) Could you also tell me the pluses, minuses and prices of acoustic electric guitars and acoustic guitars?

5. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Nooooooooooooooo.
    Man this thing has been done to death on this forum.

:cry1:

Telling you man, get an electric. You will get a decent electric for under 10K.
    Add 5K for a good amp.

Decent Processor will also come ~10K.

That brings total to 25K.

6. Aberforth

Aberforth New Member

Okay I'll make the situation more clear. I am a total newbie in Guitar and if required I might get an acoustic (after checking pluses and minuses) and later get an electric when I'll be going to UK (for my twinning).

Are electric guitar prices in UK worth the wait for 2 years? And what is the difference in performance of electric and acoustic guitars and what are their maintenance expenses?

I also wouldn't have much time to paly guitar, say about 10 hours a week due to my studies and work....so will I be better off with electric or acoustic for this much of practice?

7. sanju_strings

sanju_strings 50 Pai$e <3V/S<3 50 CeNt$

opinions vary lyk colors of underwear so upto u which to choose:p:

8. pikrohit

pikrohit New Member

i wud suggest.. go for an acoustic first.

9. Aberforth

Aberforth New Member

Keep giving the opinions and your reasons for it so that I can see which color underwear suits... :p

10. Saptashaw

Saptashaw PRO Tabber

Why don't you go thru other articles in this forum? You'll find what u r looking for.

11. go for accoustic first..since right now u r a begi... ...see even i was confuse when i have to buy a guitar but my lead guitarist told me to do practice on accoustic first and then go for electric...with electric guitar you have to buy a amp and processor too...so i would suggest you to go for accoustic first...rest your choice....

12. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Well man you got more time than me to practicve.
    :RollLol:

But ok, seeing your situation, get an acoustic.

13. vini

vini Repeat Offender

if ur totally zero..then it would be better to start with an acoustic...instead of hopping straight away to electric..clear ur basics with the help of an acoustic guitar and if u think..u can play alright and decently THEN u should get an electric guitar in the meantime..u can keep ur Rs. 15000 - 20000 in the bank..and uL get interest as well..anyways an acoustic guitar u can get for 2000-3000....... u can start with a givson or hobner!

thats my personal opinion..stick around and see what other members would say!
    All the Best!

14. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

UNless you have someone to help you i wont suggest an electric.
    Go for a cheap acoustic
    see if you are still interested in it after 3 months
    if you are you can switch to electric

15. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

BTW
    what have you been learning for 9 years

16. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

LOL
    man you qoute a person and fail to read that he has written:
    I am an avid fan of rock music and a computer engineering student for the last 9 years

17. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

^
    I didnt fail to read it
    i was wondering what courses he was taking

18. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

OK, I didnt realize that.

But then he might have done Bachelors for 4 yrs
    Masters for 2 years
    and PhD for 3-4 years.

Taht makes 9-10 years :p:

19. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

Studying for 9 years??? :O puts my dual degree crap to shame.

Oh, Id disagree and would suggest an electric. I had bought an acoustic first but in no way was it conducive to the style of music which I prefer. So, i bought an electric the next week.

20. Aberforth

Aberforth New Member

I'm so sorry, I meant to say I'm a rock fan for 9 years...not an engineering student for that long :D