Some guitar maintenance queries

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by rocking_devil, Oct 20, 2005.

1. rocking_devil

rocking_devil Banned

ok guyz n galz...i have a couple of queries here !

>> what do i use to clean my electric guitar and amplifier?....will a wet cloth do or is there something else that i can use?!
    >> will there be any difference if 5 strings are medium thick and 1 is thin?!
    >> @ronnie - i need a pedal with smooth and bassy thick fat distortion..which one do i go for?...im currently having distortion factory in mind...anything else?

plzzz....reply!

2. the_wizard

the_wizard Omega == God

there are guitar cleaners available....chk out if furtados or any other shops are having it...make sure u dont rub the cracks with the cleaning liquid/paste....

3. jekyll

jekyll Banned

use sand paper for rough cleaning :grin:

dont try those 5 medium n 1 thin string ...
    it will sound bad ...

dude reagrding the query about pedal ... i had a similar query ..
    but dont think of distortion factory ... it wont be smooth ...

4. rocking_devil

rocking_devil Banned

@jekyll - yeah...it is smooth but not the smooth im looking for!....i want it warm, sleek, thick fat distortion!

5. jekyll

jekyll Banned

Pro Co RAt sounds fattest ...

but distortion is weak ...

and u cannot get chugging sound while playing power chords ...

6. Nanda

Nanda Bassist

Never use wet cloth ... it can screw up ur wood and cause the guitar to buck soon ...
    U get guitar cleaners for some 300 bucks which will last atleast a year .. pick it up ...

Oh ... once i did that .. no twice .. once on a semi accoustic .. and then on my bass .. It gives a crap SH!T sound .. never do that ...
    When u r soloing .. u will find certain notes high and certain low .. Some will be majorly trebelly and some bassy ( happened with my bass ..)

Guess he moght say try some rocktron stuff .. or whts it ?? hmm california sound ...

7. rocking_devil

rocking_devil Banned

thanx nanda! ..yeah....now i see why my 2nd string is giving out high trebling sounds from open string to 5th fret!:Lighten:

has anyone by any chance checkled out how does jimi hendrix xperience pedal by digitech here?

8. jekyll

jekyll Banned

that jimi hendrix thing will be plain fuzz ..

nothing else ...
    and i think it wont suit any kinda music which is being played now ...

9. rocking_devil

rocking_devil Banned

so wahts with that....it all just depends on ones musical tastes nd preferences!

10. jekyll

jekyll Banned

array yaar the question posted by u:
    "i need a pedal with smooth and bassy thick fat distortion..which one do i go for?"

fuzz is nowhere like that ... fuzz is very harsh n trebly and grainy sound .. not at all smooth

11. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Dont mix up different guage strings. It might sound bad. The over all feel of playing wont be good either.

Jim Dunop guitar polishes are available at most music stores. So get one. But that's only for the body. Dont try cleaning your Fretboard or strings with that. For that get a String Cleaner or a Fretboard Cleaner. You can use the guitar cleaner to clean the amp too. Dont use a wet cloth for anything.

I dont know what do you mean by Rich, Fat, Smooth Distortion. Actually every player describes a distortion like this. Unless you really specify it clearly it wont be easy to comment.

For some real nice smooth tones. Check these
    1. Try Proco RAT Reissue. That's really nice but not a Thrash metal pedal but can give you great tones.
    2. Tube Platinum for AMT has a very smooth and saturated tube sound.
    3. Toadworks Mr.Ed is a smooth Distortion with rich Harmonics. Infact it's a Van Halen's brown sound emulator. It has the sound of a Cranked Up Marshall.
    4. Line 6 Uber Metal is pretty decent.
    5. Tech21 Sansamp GT2 is one of the best stomp box distortion every made.
    6. Rocktron Gainiac II is a Rack Distortion available for $200. It's pretty decent. But you might to buy some midi switches.

Ok. One thing to know. All of us wants to have rich smooth distortion with a lot of sustain. Basically it's the sound of a Saturated Tube Amp which is driven hard and cranked up. The thing with Analog Distortions is if it either saturates the transistors or overdrives the ICs or does clipping. Transistor saturations lead to a very fuzzy sound. Usually they overdrive it with stages of tiny amplifiers which get the overdriven sound. If the sound has to be smooth, then the gain is not very high. If the gain is very high, the sound is not very smooth. Most very high gain pedals use clipping instead of overdriving for noise reasons.
    Digitally Modelled Distortion pedals are good in a way that they can try to emulate the saturated tube sound but a keen listener or a purist will notice that it sounds like a processor.

So the truth is you wont get a Thick, Rich and Fat Sounding distortion in a stomp box. You can get it in a Tube Rack or a Tube Amp. But a lot of stompboxes do a decent job, so listen to a few and chose that gets closest to your liking. In any case you wont get a nice tube overdriven sound. Wake Up.

12. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

What do you guys think about Digitech DF-7. It's supposed to emulate 7 famous pedals right ?

13. jekyll

jekyll Banned

Wrong Ron

u CAN get the tube-amp sound from a stomp box

this is how: (a pictorial rep)

Attached Files:

14. rocking_devil

rocking_devil Banned

@sridar - yeah...man...i love that pedal.....i kind of idolize that and grunge pedal by digitech!:nw:

15. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

How much is that pedal here and is it good?

16. Nanda

Nanda Bassist

Bugger wht does that supposed to mean ??

17. rocking_devil

rocking_devil Banned

^^ stop calling me bugger or i will create more issues with lavina :p:

@mods/admins - nice name to da thread!

ok i have one more question ..!!

>> is possible to get a plastic coating for the pickups coz mine has come out fully!....you know what im talking about when you get the new guitar you have a small plastic coating like thing on the pckups!

>> is it possible to put some glowing flaurescent dotted inlays in the guitar??

18. fictional_real

fictional_real Pyaasi Jawani

I think someone just recently had asked about flourescent inlays in some other thread of this forum. Anyways, to answer your questions you'll get those kind of inlays from outside India like states. You can bring them here and make them fit into your guitar with help of a some guy from guitar shop.

19. rocking_devil

rocking_devil Banned

^^ the one recently posted about inlays was me but i din get a proper answer!
    america heh??.....ok i will tell my cousins to get it when they come here in dec!

20. Nanda

Nanda Bassist

Ok i don't mind any issues with Lav .. Once again bugger wht the hell did u mean .. All i wanted to know was were u mocking at me ??????