Soloing Tips

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons, Tutorials & Tips' started by guitarplayer729, Apr 25, 2012.

1. guitarplayer729

guitarplayer729 New Member

hey guys
    i have started a bit of soloing using the pentatonic scales(all five positions)
    and major scale(mainly c major)
    but i dont understand what to play with it
    when i create a rhythm i cant make a solo
    and vice versa
    so help would be appreciated

2. mymusicmyguitar

mymusicmyguitar Active Member

Here is what you can start with..A simple practice session

Record the following C C Am Am F F G G /8 beats per chord tempo 70 or whatever u r comfortable with for soloing
    C = C E G
    Am - A C E
    F - F A C
    G - G B D

First exercise :- Use Am pentatonic(Am is relative minor of C Major hence we are using Am pentatonic) (1st and 2nd position)

-Create a lick which will be used on C chord.
    -UR lick should start and end on any of the notes of the C Major chord and should fit within the 8 beats..
    -Use bends, Slide, hammer ons, pull offs
    -GO extremely SLOW. DONT try to SHRED

-Similarly create licks for another C - 8 beats, next Am and soo on
    -Now join what all u have created and there you go .... Solo over a chord progression

Once you get comfortable with 1st and 2ndposition...switch to 2nd and 3rd...then 1st and 3rd...1st, 2nd, 3rd...Any damn combinations u can think off.....

This way u will get comfortable with moving from one pattern to another using the pentatonic scale...

This is just the beginning....There is lots..But spend good amount of time on this....then will tell u more....too much of information will confuse u..Take baby steps and it will do wonder....

3. guitarplayer729

u mean i play the solo in Am pentatonic and the notes should start and end on the notes of the corresponding chord??

4. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Do you mean to say that given a piece of music, your mind cannot think of a tune to improvise over it / solo over it?

5. mymusicmyguitar

Yes perfect...Play whatever u want to in between..But stick to the scale for now..but start and end on the notes of the corresponding chord.....
    Do not try to improvise for now. Play pre-decided licks/riffs...

6. guitarplayer729

well i actually use the notes of a prelearned lick

7. mymusicmyguitar

Even if its prelearned lick. Do u understand in which scale the lick is played? If not then try to find that out...

For playing ur own licks...u shud have a good lick library of ur own...This library is built over the years..it doesnt come directly....

To build this library u need to learn to play solos played by someone else..Learn atleast good solid 5 solos to start with ... Start doing that straight away and then get on to the exercise that i mentioned..It will be much easier after that....

8. guitarplayer729

well i understand most of the time(if it is a melodic solo)the scale in which it is played
    well i am trying to learn solos