So I got some recordings I need to edit...

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by ultrabot90, Dec 22, 2010.

1. ultrabot90

ultrabot90 Like fishes need bicycles

Basically, I need to edit it some to remove the irrelevant bits, and then...the important bit...EQ and/or de-hiss to somewhat compensate for the crappy (noisy) mic, crappy (noisy) amp, and maybe crappy (noisy) guitar electronics.

Help. What software - will Audacity stand up to the task? What tools should I be looking at? Anything else you'd advise?

Thanks!

Edit - And where the flying fawk has Freq20 gone!?

2. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

3. flood

flood New Member

freq20 is dead and buried for the second - and probably final - time in its history. i helped to convince sridharan to put it back up the first time it went down, not going to bother again. i don't have really have the time to invest in forums anymore, i doubt he does either. there are tons of good forums on the net that serve the purpose more than sufficiently too.

audacity should work fine. denoising is a destructive process - you need to kill noise at the source and use denoising sparingly.

4. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

i also saw today only that freq20 is dead... Anyways it was never so active.. nobody bothered, nobody has the time, nobody gets paid to run a forum or post in a forum..

5. flood

flood New Member

it only ended up costing sridhar money, i think. for very little in return.

in hindsight, it was probably not the best way to run people through the basics of recording or using software.

people can learn a lot by tightening up their google skills, seriously. the knowledge is already out there, reposting it is a waste of time and bandwidth IMO.

6. guitardoctor

guitardoctor Will Rx for food

RSJ forums are back though...

7. flood

flood New Member

...and have turned into a huge circle jerk.

8. guitardoctor

guitardoctor Will Rx for food

^Hit the nail right on the head. I haven't seen a speck of quality content so far. Hence I haven't signed up yet. I'm planning to wait atleast a few months for the "HAY GAIZ! YAIS!! RSJ IS BACK!! GANGSTAS 4 LYFE!!" and all the attention whoring to die down (IF it dies down... I wasn't around for the original RSJ forums, hope this shit wasn't what originally went on there).

9. flood

flood New Member

the old RSJ forums were shitloads of fun. we pwned. we trolled. we flamed. i posted cats and other memes (but mostly cats). in the space of 2 years of inactivity, most forum members got a life and now there are no n00bs signing up with their threads about "the scene" and "selling out" and "which gtrist is better" to which i could reply "yo mama's the scene", "yo mama's selling out every night" and "lemmy is better looking than yo mama". sad.

this video explains things very well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEXwuXblvIU

EDIT: you will probably not get 90% of the insiders in that video, but you'll get the gist of it.

the old gigpad was the best forum, hands down.