Smoking.

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by bjr, Apr 10, 2008.

1. Petunia

Petunia terminally dorky

so wait. educate me..
    beedi is not made of/with intoxicating drugs like weed or marijuana?

yea well obviously it is tobacco..and that stuff is not safe, regardless..but is it safer than a cigarette?
    and if it is, who and how is it decided what is safer?

2. anshphenomenon

anshphenomenon Rape me :boff:

any kind of smoking is bad for health.
    beedi or ciggy or hookah.
    all are equally dangerous, just the degree of the danger changes.

3. elfascinating

elfascinating risqué

Healthy people will just feel stupid one day when they'll die of nothing.

4. Petunia

Petunia terminally dorky

^^ i know. we;re all dying anyway..and you wanna know a little secret: (lung)cancer and heart diseases etc are not even directly linked to smoking..its just a common factor found in em..so what the hell should we believe anyway??

@ansh: true. but that guy said, "SAFER" and i want to know on what standards that decision was made. and i dont see why people actually sit there categorizing danger..danger is danger. no two ways about it.
    its quite pathetic. do people feel safer in danger zone 4 compared to a man in danger zone 8?
    "oh yea, i just smoke 2 packs a week.. im better off than that a$$ who does 3 packs a week and smokes blueberry on the weekends" :cool:

seriously. pathetic.

5. anshphenomenon

atleast we do not harm our bodies on purpose.
    what u said is just an excuse for smoking.
    and anyhow it has been proven that non-smokers have a better life expectancy,plus smoking anyhow has lots of effects, hair loss to name one:p

6. elfascinating

elfascinating risqué

^Death is anyway unexpected.

What if a guy is completely healthy with all his hair intact and dies while crossing a road at 22?
    While a smoker goes on to live till 80?

Human body is way stronger than what people think it to be. Even after harming yourself you could live long because Death can take one over anytime anyhow.

7. amitrichardxess

amitrichardxess New Member

so wat ?????????????????????

8. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

Won't you feel more stupid if someone ran you over tomorrow then? All that smoking will go to waste.

9. anshphenomenon

but if that healthy guy does not cross the road, then he might go on to live till 85.

10. Petunia

Petunia terminally dorky

ok, now this argument just sounds more gay as it progresses.

I understand where both of you guys are coming from. and i guess the bottom line is:

Smoking IS NOT good for your health. it complicates and adds to misery of life and the aging process. It creates a cocktail of illnesses that would probably would not have showed up had you not smoked. Chances of falling miserably sick and suffering increase. Agreed.

However smoking can not be blamed for calling death sooner. Life is full of the unexpected. chances of you celebrating your 85th birthday are much better if you dont smoke (among other things) however, an accident or an overdose (or whatever) can bring your life to a crashing halt much much earlier.. one can never tell.

Telling people smoking kills..is correct. However, the chances of smoking killing you are as good as a drunken driver.

11. anshphenomenon

hmmm.
    u agree with me, yet u dont.
    ofcourse life is unexpected, who knows, while typing this reply to u, the roof falls over my head and i die.
    any thing can happen.
    however in this case, if iam not smoking, i avoid a lot of physical discomforts compared to a smoker.
    That is it.
    the unexpectancy in life is equal for both smokers and non-smokers.
    it is here in this case that by not smoking iam avoiding the future discomforts that i wld face, had i smoked.
    now if smoking kills someone or doesnt is a different thing.
    whether it does or not, it surely isnt good for anyone's health and certainly has ill effects.

u cannot make the "unexpectancy" in life as an escape goat for smoking.

12. Petunia

Petunia terminally dorky

My dear fellow, by agreeing with you i see "heads" but i have also managed to see the other side of the coin.

my argument:
    smoking is bad.
    life is full of unexpected (mis)fortunes
    smoking can not be blamed for fatality.

In typing your reply to me you have managed to rephrase everything i previously wrote. So in a way we've both managed to agree..

vibe check? :p

ps..thought i could change it but i dont know how. :( lol.

13. eightytwo

eightytwo New Member

Just wondering... how many of you really want to live till 85?

14. thehundredthone

What according to you is a good age to die? What if you're fit and able at 85? Maybe you'll want to play a few more holes of golf.

The point is it's not relevant to say that dying of smoking is any better/worse than dying otherwise. Death is a separate issue. You can say that chances of dying are increased, but that's all it is - chance. However for some people there are other troubles - addiction, emphysema, fibrosis, carbon deposition, etc. All these things manifest as physical and mental discomfort. Death is sometimes far from the most dangerous/harmful effect of the habit.

So do what you like, just don't force it onto others (smoking or not smoking)

15. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

Thank you.

To me, it's a little like when you're older, you tend to check weight, cholestrol, go for walks and worry a little about fitness. There will be people eating red meat, drinking and smoking heavily and weighing 120 Kg and surviving yet chances of having a better life while you're alive are with the person have a little less "fun" (for lack of a better word). You do try to cut down on what you think you can do without that'd harm you. God knows it's easier to not start than to quit and since I haven't started, I'm not planning to.

However, I wouldn't knock someone for having his meat and so I won't knock 'em for their cigarettes.

16. elfascinating

elfascinating risqué

^Pet, 100th1 and bjr combined make perfect sense.

Though I would disagree with 100th1 on a point or two but well whatever.
    The case is dismissed if you ask me.

17. thehundredthone

It's a forum for a reason, feel free to disagree without this leading to a flamefest.

18. Petunia

Petunia terminally dorky

ha. but then all of us have a flametorch in our hands, how can you expect us to discuss matters in a mature manner.

i think you make perfect sense. each man to his own. :)

19. eightytwo

eightytwo New Member

To answer 100th - I'd like to pop at 80. I'm not saying it's the ideal age to die. Fit or not at 80, I'd like to call it a day.

Otherwise, there is nothing which is not said that I can add to this argument.

20. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

To be fair, you're saying this at 24(?). At 80, you just might have the added emotional ties that you wouldn't want to let go just then...especially if you're fit enough.

I want to live as long as I'm not a vegetable and I'm not very lonely. Dear God, nothing kills like loneliness IMO.