Smoking.

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by bjr, Apr 10, 2008.

1. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

When and why did you start? How much do you smoke? Do you want to quit now? Does it bother you that it is bad for health?

Does lack of freedom have anything to do with starting to smoke? It's a trend I've seen amongst my friends.

Is it perceived as cool to smoke?

For the non-smokers:

Do you hate it? Do you wish to strangle people who smoke around you? Why don't you smoke anyway(if there are reasons other than health)?

Also....I'm confused as to whether smoking in public places is banned. If it is, is it being enforced anywhere?

Just something I've always been curious about.

My own answers:

No, I don't smoke. I do think that lack of freedom might be a factor in a lot of people starting to smoke.

I also think it IS perceived as cool to smoke though I'm really not sure why.

As a non-smoker:

I don't hate it. It does bother me when people smoke around me but I don't too big a deal out of it....and I don't nag them.

and I don't smoke because my dad used to be a chain smoker and mum used to give him hell over it sometimes. He still smokes though not as much as he used to so he still gets hell but perhaps just the fourth depth instead of the ninth.

2. eightytwo

eightytwo New Member

I smoke but I'm not addicted to it. I can goes for days without smoking. I started out of boredom three years ago. I was lost and alone and wanted to get high without drinking(because it was not handy to drink). Although, the frequency has increased it varies one or two a day(spending 13 hours in office is taking its toll) to one or two a week or sometimes only when I drink.

I don't care if it is bad for health. I don't think it's cool.

3. anshphenomenon

anshphenomenon Rape me :boff:

I dont smoke.
    never tried to,dont wish to and dont plan to as well.
    it might be perceived to look COOL, maybe the stress factor in lives too makes one to smoke.not sure about that, but have heard its used to reduce stress,dunno how it helps.

i do not mind people smoking around me, its their own choice to smoke. iam indifferent to it.

4. angel_of_sin

angel_of_sin bassist.....

i startd smoking 3 years ago..still nt addicted to it..bt feel da need for it wen reeeli stressed out wid work.................i dun think smoking is cool........in my case freedom was da reason i strtd smoking..............

5. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

I smoke because I like the high it gives.

Very different from the high that you get from alcohol or grass.

And after gulping a few pegs of alcohol, the kick from smoke gives even stronger high.

Oh smoke also reduces the appetite, so its handy under certain unfavorable circumstances when your stomach is making that rumbling noize and you cannot feed it.

Addiction? Well I dont know. If I become dependent on it for my survival - then I would label as getting addicted.
    As long it is recreational, I don't care.

To me its not a "de-stresser", so I think my chances of becoming addicted to it in future is pretty slim.

6. eightytwo

eightytwo New Member

That never happens to me. Smoking when I'm high on alcohol kills the buzz

7. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

I was asking whether you think that smoking is perceived as cool and not whether you think it's cool.

8. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Hmmm.
    Thats a good question.

Strictly speaking, I have seen/heard many "cool" comments coming from females. Not just when I am at it, but also for others (like celebrities).

Ofcourse there are many females who abhor smoke. But those who don't never say its uncool.

9. eightytwo

eightytwo New Member

nope. It's not.

10. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

I may not look cool when i'm sneaking a smoke in the bathroom, but they do make shahrukh look cool in Don...

11. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

Exactly what i thought...till i tried quitting,,,

12. angel_of_sin

^^ i knw dat coz i can on for days widout smoking.......................

13. Petunia

Petunia terminally dorky

When: began five years ago
    why:my way of dealing with my boyfriend's death
    How much:fluctuates. currently im down to a pack a week
    Do you want to quit?perhaps
    Does it bother you that it is bad for health?yes. sometimes

Does lack of freedom have anything to do with starting to smoke? hell no
    cool to smoke? thats wannabe attitude. dont ever fool yourself to think that smoking makes you look cool. it doesnt.

14. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

One genuine question I'd like to ask, is it the nicotine or is it the visual of the smoke that you like?

15. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

I was wondering that myself. I had a hookah the other day and I almost got addicted because I managed to make a smoke ring.

@Petunia: If I ever want to think cool, I think Captain Jack Sparrow.

16. Petunia

Petunia terminally dorky

^ha. to both your questions: its not the visual of the smoke that gets you going. I think after a while you get psychologically used to the fact that you're holding something and smoking it. For many it just becomes a part of daily routine, and breaking out of that is hard. For a long time, holding an unlit cigarette in my hand was as good as smoking it. But the nicotine is addictive.. constant dumping of that into your body gets it used to it.. and your brain wants more of it in your blood. It is a substance that provides temporary "excitement" ..and you end up becoming more alert (often, if you smoke while studying..you tend to remember more..and retain more) and people realize they "need" that.

As for the hookah, yea the rings do get you "hooked"..lol. What flavor? Did you ever smoke it with milk?

17. augur

augur I love bjr

"With a cigarette in my hand, I felt like a man."

I used to smoke but don't anymore. It was more like I'm bored so I think I'll smoke so can't really say I 'quit'. I just gave up.

As for hookah's, I'd rather smoke bidis.

18. angel_of_sin

my dadi used to smoke hookah.........once when i was a kid me and my cousins sneaked into her room, lit da hookah and started smoking..........boy did i get a beating dat day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

From what a chemistry teacher told me, nicotine absorbs the excess nutrients in your body and that is responsible for the alertness and high that people talk about...something like optimization I guess.

I'm really not sure what flavour it was....something fruity I suspect. and it was only like the 3rd time ever I even tried it.

With milk? wtf! Why?

20. elfascinating

elfascinating risqué

Hookahs in all the cafes Suck. It's just a fad. They don't give a kick.

The real thing is Desi Hookah in villages and stuff with raw tobacco. Fab!