small amp

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by dpnkr, Apr 26, 2011.

1. dpnkr

dpnkr New Member

hey guys tell me if i can get fuzzy distorted tone by pushing small amp to its limits....how small it should be and will it get ruined after sometime ???

2. bcrich

bcrich New Member

5-10 watt Tube Amp + Fully cranked up + Some experiments with EQ = a decent distorted tone, I think!

3. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

If you are talking about solid state amp - it will get ruined in few seconds.

4. dpnkr

dpnkr New Member

what about tube amp ? it will be a waste of money if it get ruined

5. flood

flood New Member

sure you can. a lot of fuzz/buzz has to do with the speaker though, and i would recommend a small transistor based amp with a shitty speaker to do this. transistor clipping is a lot nastier and fuzzier than tube saturation.

6. dpnkr

dpnkr New Member

ok i'll try to find one.
    Are such kinda processors available to get that kinda sound , what i mean is certainly not metal distortion

7. flood

flood New Member

fuzz pedals dude. there's a TON of them out there and with a lot of different styles. straight up fuzz, smooth 60s fuzz, nasty 60s fuzz, octave up fuzz, broken speaker fuzz, oscillating fuzz, you name it. i personally make my own fuzzboxes cause i can'T get enough...

search for fuzz pedals in youtube and you can spend a month browsing all the different types... devi ever makes a wide range of fuzzes and compared to other "boutique" brands hers are actually a lot more affordable. www.deviever.com

also check out the forums at www.ilovefuzz.com

8. dpnkr

dpnkr New Member

thanks, i decided to make one for myself

9. flood

flood New Member

awesome! if you have trouble finding parts and enclosures and suchlike, drop me a line and i'll point you in the right direction.

one of the simplest circuits to get working is the silicon fuzz face. the electro-harmonix big muff is also a very popular fuzz, and a lot of boutique circuits have been derived from it. uses a LOT more parts than the fuzz face but is also quite problem-free to get working if you have a decent kit.

i've never used them myself cause i make my own PCBs and stuff, but i've heard awesome things about BYOC: https://www.buildyourownclone.com/ the kit contains everything.

here's a link to an album with some of my stuff: https://s812.photobucket.com/albums/zz44/flood81/Stompbox DIY/

also: cool signature :D

10. dpnkr

dpnkr New Member

thanks a lot man, also awsome collection of stompboxes \m/

11. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

The analog delay kit costs $149??? I can buy a pedal for that much... wats the catch?

12. dpnkr

dpnkr New Member

yeah maybe but im eyeing that octave fuzz which is really cheap, over that only boss fz-5 is available in bhopal at present.

13. flood

flood New Member

i'm guessing it has to do with the parts they're using. BBD chips are obsolete (although there are new ones being made by a chinese semiconductor manufacturer for MXR for the carbon copy, but i don't think they're sold to anybody else) and fairly expensive in small quantities. i would not advise you to try to build a delay because getting it working without an oscilloscope is pretty tricky - i wouldn't try it myself. you're better off buying.

14. flood

flood New Member

and the boss FZ series was never particularly good to begin with...

15. theghost

theghost New Member

@flood is the paintjob customised, who did it? looks killer!

16. flood

flood New Member

thanks thanks. the "paintjob" is actually an etch job. the graphics are chemical etched and filled in.

who did it? i did! and i can tell you it's a shitload of work...