Slash Chords ..

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons, Tutorials & Tips' started by bob-bobby, Apr 5, 2005.

1. bob-bobby

bob-bobby Extinct or Banned!

Understanding how to read these chords is simple - the letter to the left of the slash is the type of chord - so in this case it is "C" chord (aka a C major chord). The note to the right of the slash is the bass note in the chord - a "G" in this circumstance. So, a C/G chord is a C major chord with the note G in the bass. If you study the chord in part three, you can clearly see the C major chord, with the G on the third fret of the sixth string also being fretted in the bass.

Here are a few of the many common slash chords:

D/F# - (pronounced "D over F#") - a standard Dmajor chord with an F# in the bass, usually played by wrapping the thumb around the neck of the guitar, and fretting the second fret of the sixth string.

A/C# - (pronounced "A over C#") - An Amajor chord with a C# in the bass, usually played by barring the second fret of the fourth, third, and second strings with your first finger, and playing the fourth fret of the fifth string (the C#) with either the third finger, or the pinky finger.

C/E - (pronounced "C over E") - A Cmajor chord with an E in the bass, usually played by simply fretting a Cmajor chord, and including the open low E string in the strum.

Amin/G - (pronounced "A minor over G") - An Aminor chord, with a G in the bass, usually played by fretting an Aminor chord, and using the pinky finger play the third fret of the sixth string (the "G").

prit_undead and tejas like this.
  2. bob-bobby

The first time anyone ever comes across a slash chord, he immediately says HUH?

Well, they are really not that hard to figure out. Let's look at G/B. It is read G over B. What you do is play a G major chord with a B as the bass note (The B is the lowest note of the chord). The G major chord's notes are G, B, and D. If you look at the diagram of G/B, you will notice that it has all the notes of the G major chord. The only difference is that the B is the lowest note, instead of the G. That is why it is named G/B instead of G.

You might ask why they name chords this way. It is just for clarifying the chord voicing. If you just said play a G major chord, I doubt that you would play G/B, but if I said play G/B, you would be forced to put that B as the lowest note in the chord.

In the examples below I gave you three slash chords to look at. You will notice that the bass note is always a chord tone of the underlying chord as I explained above.

3. bob-bobby

You will notice that the bass note is always a chord tone of the underlying chord as I explained above.

Attached Files:

• sc1.jpg
      sc1.jpg
      File size:
      18.9 KB
      Views:
  4. bob-bobby

Now Let's look at an Dadd9/F#, or Dadd9 over F#.

Attached Files:

• sc2.jpg
      sc2.jpg
      File size:
      8.8 KB
      Views:
  5. bob-bobby

Now, let's look at Eb/Bb, or Eb over Bb.

Attached Files:

• sc3.jpg
      sc3.jpg
      File size:
      8.5 KB
      Views:
  6. bob-bobby

Things to Try:

* Invent slash chords, by simply thinking of a chord type, then picking a random note to play in the bass. Next, try and figure out how to play these chords. They may not sound wonderful, but you may stumble upon some that you like. And, it's great practice for learning note names on the fretboard.
    * Try making up some chord progressions that use the above, or other slash chords. Here are a couple to get you started: Amin - Amin/G - Fmaj, or Gmaj - D/F# - Emin, or Dmin - Dmin/C - G/B - Cmaj .

7. Bandbaaja

Bandbaaja Pronounced Band Baaaa Ja

Very Good Post Bobby

8. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

learn steely dan songs like josie.. :)

Jay

9. Rey1970

Rey1970 New Member

cool!!! post, bob!!

10. hs07

hs07 New Member

off topic, but Steely Dan played some awesome guitar. Under appreciated band.

11. avinkamath

avinkamath New Member

nice post man!!!

12. 6String_assasin

6String_assasin The Painkiller

good post bobby

13. Nayan

Nayan .:Humblebee Jumble:.

nice post bobby... theory followed by visual examples... that's the best way to do it...

14. ayusharma

ayusharma New Member

Saved and made my day!!!

15. prit_undead

prit_undead New Member

loved it
    reps for u

16. Morbid_Angel

Morbid_Angel Sid the sloth

nice post man.

I learnt playing chords like this too. Makes it easier to play the real chords.

Good for the beginners.

17. gauravkhanna

gauravkhanna New Member

nICE POST DuDe.....