Skin of fretting fingers pealing off

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by Sonali, Aug 6, 2004.

1. jayanth

jayanth <.: : Call Quits : :.>

Guys this is a serious issue.. If you wanna talk about Wood cutting tools.. We can later.. Now lets HANDle your problems here..

2. Sonali

Sonali ::>> Welcome <<::

So now you tell me that those weren’t real advice…………….after i’ve borrowed my neighbor’s chainsaw.
    as for my fingers.....they are doing well.......i am using rubbing alcohol and it seems to be working......now the tips feel like four miniature versions of Frankenstein’s head (flat and hard). It’s a bit creepy actually.

3. jayanth

jayanth &lt;.: : Call Quits : :.&gt;

Go to a Doc and he will check it for you.. I did the same..

4. rajscorps

rajscorps Kaput

Good going Sonali. It feels creepy because your skin's going dead. You'll grow into it.

One has to note the possibilities of an infection only creep in if the liquid is rubbed into a wound. Rubbing alcohol is actually a cleansing agent. You are doing yourself much good because you are cleaning your fingers by swabbing them. :rockon:

I'd like to inject another point here. Use the Rubbing alcohol for maybe a couple of weeks daily. Then lay it off and apply it only every now and then, perhaps once a week or so, to maintain the calluses. If you guitar strings are more than 4 weeks old you could use rubbing alcohol to clean the grime off your strings. As I ALWAYS say, don't take my word for it. Look up the world's largest database. Also you may want to exercise precaution when doing this as the alcohol could damage your fretboard.

Learn from the veterans
    https://www.daddario.com/bowedct/CARINGST.HTM

Or Google "cleaning strings rubbing alcohol" / "strings rubbing alcohol"

Always read, think and question before you take in anyone's opinion. Educate yourself.

Raj

5. jayanth

I probably feel the need to Approach a doctor ONCE and get his opinion..

6. rajscorps

rajscorps Kaput

Actually we already have a doctor's opinion - that of Dr. Saurabh. He may not be a full fledged doc yet, but his post (#10) did make sense.

Further applying rubbing alcohol is a time-tested method. I know several people who have adopted this for very long periods (over 6 years). Yes, you could always go visit a doctor, but he'll only tell you it's dead skin and that there's nothing to worry about. I know this cuz I have a fair no. of doctors in my family. They are always concerned and leave no stone unturned as far as my health is concerned.

Further, calluses have been with me for over 5 years now, since I started bodybuilding. The calluses on my palms are very thick. Dead skin peels away with time, and the dead layer underneath surfaces. Nothing chilling.

Raj

7. jayanth

Thats true.. Post #10 makes sense.. Dead skin problem stopped for me.. I started using some creame which really helps..

8. Sonali

@ raj- i checked the site and i'll use the advise
    @jay- my fingers are fine, they just feel funny coz of the dead skin. But i would like to know this......will the skin peel again or was it just an one time thing?

9. jayanth

Its not a one time thing.. MAY or MAY nOT happen again.. Hope for the best..

10. rajscorps

rajscorps Kaput

Jayanth is right. There's nothing to be overtly perplexed about though.

Even if it does peel it won't hurt. This is because the layer underneath would be dead too. So when your top layer wears out and is replaced, you will not feel a thing. This is why I suggest you taper the number of applications (rubbing alcohol) as that would allay the rate at which your skin 'solidifies'.

Raj

11. jayanth

Make sure nothing get between those layers.. Cause that could be sad..

12. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

guys take a chill pill, callouses arent a big deal...they happen....they will peel of on their own..should u stop playing the guitar long enuf....so dont fret too much abt em...in any case FYI....a callous is caused by continuous friction on any partof the skin,composed of the substance known as keratin, this protein gives the skin its protective ability...and isnt in any way harmful, unless it grows inward to form a corn and this almost exclusively occurs on feet, and the only harm it causes is pain...so people chill :beer:

13. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

and DO NOT try to remove em....tha will only be retrograde progress in ur guitar learnin, coz u need those callouses to play faster and better...soft fingers dont make a skilled guitarist..

14. rajscorps

rajscorps Kaput

Just what I'd been suggesting. Dead skin is no big deal.

Raj

15. jayanth

That inward thing is what i was reffering to.. Sorry for the Inbetween part..

16. Sonali

i know callouses helps in the guitar playing process, thats why i was worried abt it peeling off in the first place. i'm not worried anymore so i'm cold......i mean cool :cool:

17. jayanth

He he.. But i'm a little against peeling of too.. I dont like my body parts coming off..

18. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

if u wanna be scared...ponder upon this.....playing guitar is constant irritatrion to your fingers....and constant irritation is one of the predisposing factors for aplasia....which basically means a for malignancies....so if u have a mole or wierd exophytic growth on ur fingertips get it removed b4 u play just to avoid chances of malignancies

19. jayanth

My fingers play guitar whether there is a fret board behind them or not.. tThey are no irritation..

20. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

mine do too...so am immune...:)