Six simple exercises that will make you better

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by rabi_sultan, Mar 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rey1970

Rey1970 New Member

Good post rabi!!!! well written.

2. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Cool Thread. This is my warm up before I play anything on the guitar. It helps a lot.

1. Left Hand Exercise: Trills. Almost the same as what Rabi said. But trill on the entire fretboard non stop in constant speed. It usually takes around 5 to 7 minutes.

2. Right Hand Exercise: Tremelo Picking across all strings and also fret notes here and there, maybe a scale or maybe some pattern sounding like the ACDC Thunderstruck. This also non stop with increasing speed with reference to metronome. I play this at least for 5 to 7 minutes.

3. Left + Right Hand Exercise: Spiders (I just call them Chromatic Run), Pedal Tone, Yngwie Style Minor Scale Triplets on a single string. Three note per string scale. This is also done with Metronome. (15 minutes)

4. Note Identification: I put the Metronome on at about 40 bpm and take a note like F and then identify and play that F note through out the Fretboard. I go on from strings 1 to 6 and then 6 to 1 and sometimes random. Then I increase the speed in steps of 5, till I miss it. It helps to know the fretboard and also to think ahead of playing which is required if you want to improvise. I do this for about 5 mins.

5. CAGED theory. (5 mins)

This is my warm up schedule. It takes about 40 minutes and maybe to 1 hour or more occasionally. After this, I either take some particular technique and practice it or play a few licks or just improvise over a riff recorded in the sampler or best of all dump everything and play with my dog.

rabi_sultan likes this.
  3. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

woah ..nice schedule...maybe I should also keep one. ..too much noodling.
    I also like the PG lick..heres it:
    E-----------12-------
    B--12-13-15---15-13-
    ..along with the metronome and strict alternate picking.
    i.e. D-U-D-U-D-U
    ..no cheating :p:

4. ronnieanand

10h-14h-10p-12h-14h-12p-10p-s9-10h-12h-10p-9p played on high E string
    12h-9p-10h-12h-10p-9p played on B string

This is my Legato warm up. None of the note should be picked. Play it in a 6/4 timing signature, in the sense, you should be playing 6 notes per metronome tick. This is one of the most common Legato lick that is played by everyone including Steve Vai, Ritchie Kotzen, Paul Gilbert, Vinnie Moore, etc....

h - Hammer On
    p - Pull Off
    s - Slide

5. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

ok heres 1 more for beginners:

play scales 3 notes per string, eg.

the notes C-D-E on the A string,
    then F-G-A on the D string,
    then B-C-D on the G-string, etc...

oh ya u can start with G-A-B on the E string (6th).

learn these scales for each key.

then play diff. patterns.
    eg.

C-D-E | D-E-F | E-F-G | F-G-A|

but make sure ur still maintainign alternate pciking and playing the same notes on the strings as mentioned above..

6. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

another good excercise would be to play the same note all over the fret board... now lets start with the note E.

thers the open E, then u got to an E on the next octae and play all the E notes on that octave. After every E note on that octave has been played, move again to the next octave..

for example - u start with the open E string,

next octave is a 2 on the D string. next note on same octave is the 7th fret on the A satring and then the 12th note on the E string. from there u move to the next octave.. move back wards until u get to the first few frets and then move on to the nextt octave.. u should do this with a metronome - and uild up speed - itll be really useful - especially while soloing

7. aPocH

aPocH New Member

Thanks guys, for all the exercises that u have mentioned.

A real help for a beginner like me.

u guys rock!!!

8. annand

annand the pessimist

it's advisable (and makes more sense to me) that you practice the hammer-on and pull-off (trill) until your fingers start to hurt - the longer you practice it, the more beneficial it is to you - then you would give it some rest and continue on again.

also, you should try different finger combinations:
    index and middle finger
    index and ring finger
    index and pinky
    middle finger and ring finger
    middle finger and pinky
    ring finger and pinky

it helps to start of on the high e string (possibly the first fret) then moving to the thicker strings as your fingers develop strength.

rabi_sultan likes this.
  9. falcon eyes

falcon eyes New Member

:rockon: great job @rabi

10. dark_angel

dark_angel New Member

HEY!!!
    plz help me wid the scales...

11. bhavikj49

bhavikj49 New Member

hey u guyz ...........hav given nice tips and a schedule to follow ..............yes Ronnie i wanted this legato thing ........thnx for the same..................

12. prashant_soni14

prashant_soni14 New Member

hi!
    hey nice dude! this exe will gona help me lot! well i have one que? pls tell me name of some good chordbook or any websit from where i can download it?

13. prashant_soni14

prashant_soni14 New Member

Tuning

hey!

friends i'm learning guitar at my home, not from any teacher, so it very difficult fot me to tune my guitar can any one help me for this and tell me right picth and sound. i tune it what sound me good but don't know that it's tuned right or not! how i find out righ sound of open E or 6th string pls if any one who can help me i'm very thankfull to them

14. ronnieanand

If you have a PC at home which can be used alongside with guitar, then download an Online Guitar Tuner. Otherwise buy yourself a simple Electronic Tuner from Boss or Korg. It shouldn't cost more than Rs.1000. Dont tune randomly and play. It hinders your ear development to recognized notes and chords.

15. jekyll

jekyll Banned

but RON

i feel that using ear to tune (realtive tuning) really helps build the musical ear ...

anywya u dont want a person like Kurt Cobain, who couldnot tune his guitars at concerts .. :phbbt:

16. probuddha

probuddha Aspiring Guitarist

@rabi
    Great effort Rabi and wonderful exercises. Will practice them from today itself.

Reps to you man !!

17. kieran

kieran New Member

Hi guys

Hi guys
    I m totaly new to this field , but actully i always like to play on guitar and i m going for my first guitar , I m from pune. can anybody guide me for buying a guitar please
    thanks in adv.
    kiran

18. probuddha

probuddha Aspiring Guitarist

19. asharpminor

asharpminor New Member

rabi...thanx dude for ur efforts....really nice....ive playing guitar for 3 yrs now and i think these are the basic for any guitarists.....NADISH you dnt need to get into twisty things...just follow the basics.........and yes PRACTICE...THATS THE MAIN THING...AT LEAST 4 HOURS A DAY...U CAN REALLY DO W0ONDERS...I CAN HANDLE YNGWIE JOHAN MALMSTEEN...YES IN 3YEARS...SO JUST PRACTICE DUDE...

20. fan_slash

fan_slash New Member

hi am from pune

[hi kiran you can go to musical palace in camp . meet the owner raja and tell him rohit has sent you , he ll guide you best

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.