Sitar like tuning for Guitar

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by Brguy5674, Jul 2, 2004.

1. Brguy5674

Brguy5674 New Member

So, I was messing around on my guitar and I discovered a tuning which sounds like a sitar. It has drone strings so if you play all open strings, it forms a chord. Anyways, here it is:
    F#-B-F#-B-F#-F#(same as last string)
    This goes from the lowest string to the top string. Anyways, I'll post soon some cool little songs you could play with it. Tell me what u think.

2. guns n roses

guns n roses Pro Guitarist

Hey ill try it. I should try playing Wherever i may roam. Sitar in intro.

3. jayanth

jayanth <.: : Call Quits : :.>

Tuning an electric like this will spoil its sound... But Tuning like this is impossible.. Cause you you tune the first and the last string to the same pitch, they will snap and the low F# will make your strings look like a circus rope..

4. prash_rocks

prash_rocks Over the Hills & Far Away

havent heard of this one. but DADGAD (Dsus) is another sitar-like tuning that jimmy page extensively used. check out songs like kashmir, black mountain side (performed with a tabla accompaniment), white summer/black mountain side (live), swan song by led zeppelin. the white summer thing needs an especial mention for a brilliant display of this tuning.

btw, there is one EXQUISITE tuning (DGCGCD - D7 sus4) that he used on 'the rain song.' it sounds totally majestic. do check out that one for sure if u haven't already.

5. jayanth

jayanth <.: : Call Quits : :.>

Man of a million guitar(Tunings).. We poor people have to manage with EADGBE so that we dont have to buy strings for every song..

6. lickityspliff

lickityspliff New Member

i guess i posted in the wrong thread for this, still have any songs for this tuning?