Single coil hum??

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by Strings dnt lie, May 26, 2012.

1. Strings dnt lie

Strings dnt lie New Member

dude get a lyf..ur jst being massively unhelpful n irritating..

2. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

:RollLol: :RollLol: :RollLol:

3. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

zomg!!! lk whz tkng

Anyway if you wish to be on-topic - its been done.

Single coils cannot be without hum, otherwise they will be called humbucker.
    You can reduce hum by using parametric EQ to remove the 50Hz (or 60Hz) hum with very high Q factor.

The noise is a separate issue.
    Noise happens again because of the single coil construction, because the design has got very low noise rejection (there is zero common mode rejection in a single coil design).
    So how would you avoid noise?
    By using electromagnetic shielding (faraday's cage). By using isolated ground/earth/neutral/negative (whatever is there, and whatever you want to call it) in each equipment.
    By using a regulated power supply. Linear power supplies are more expensive and bulky, but they don't introduce so much higher harmonics. SMPS (which is used almost universally) - because of their small size - operate by converting your power to very high frequency and then step-up/step-down. The filter at the output stage should be absolute high quality, otherwise you will have the hi-freq artifacts downstream.

If there is still some noise, then you need to get noise suppresor.

If you are still not satisfied, just get a humbucker.

(I hope you can read what I wrote, itz nt lyk ths, u c)

4. Strings dnt lie

Strings dnt lie New Member

well now ur being helpful bt still massively irritating..thanks anyway uncle..