Should i go for ME-50 or PODxt?

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by getshorty80, Nov 3, 2006.

1. getshorty80

getshorty80 New Member

hey guys, i am thinking of getting the BOSS ME-50(which is more of in my price range) or the LINE 6 PODxt(which i need see about the extra money).
    I dont know mate, PODxt has always been the one i wanted but just the fact that i need to get an extra stomp pedal is like shit man thats gonna add up to the cost other wise i dont mind what say dudes?
    The ME-50 too sounds interesting. what can i say BOSS the name says it all.

help me out on this mate.

2. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

What are teh sounds/tones you are looking at?

POD's amp simulations are known to be very good and genuine sounding.

3. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

many people complain abot PODs crashing....i think ME-50 is more advisable.....guy at bajaao keeps getting complaints and he has to master reset the thing and all patches are lost....have u seen the G7.1ut cus im buying that

4. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Err wait, probably you don't know that one POD XT Live exists too.
    And one Floor POD is also gonna get released (which is ofcourse cheaper).

5. getshorty80

getshorty80 New Member

dudes i know abt the Floor POD too but heard the tweeking in it is not possible. but sounds really good though it also comes into my options. u see as far as i heard/seen POD is amazing but never really experienced a BOSS multi effect. I am into Rock,hard Rock, a bit of metal(selective).More into vai satriani stuff or Megadeth-In flames stuff. SO PLEASE DO ADVICE. and if i am getting it, i would get it in UK cause i might be going back or my sis will be getting it. ME-50 cost less there as far as i checked. Dont know now. Cant really spend on PODxt Live its out of my budget.As such i am not playing or any band now.Already spent on my ESP.

6. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Oops sorry.

I have seen Boss Me-50 live in action. Not played on it though.
    Ppl say it usually sounds harsh. But it sounded fine to me when I heard it.

But strictly speaking, Me-50 is very old product, why you wanna take it?

7. getshorty80

getshorty80 New Member

hey alpha, i am looking at them cause they have all been rated good. and to remind u i havnt played live for a long time as well as dont know how or when i would do that. basically looking for something sturdy(no matter if its a new product or old)well tested and then which does the trick(both studio,live and home use).
    I was thinking abt the Floor POD but since i have not seen it in first hand i have confused-if it can play all sorts of rock music i will take it(help needed). plus Line 6 multi effects are supposed to be really good. so thats where i am confused as i said have not seen a BOSS ME in action.

8. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

:-S

Hmm my advice would be: buy Boss Me-50 only if you know how to dispose it off later.
    Not because Me-50 is bad.
    But because there are other processors in the market taht are coming up that are even better. (And remember processors are almost like computers, new computers have better softwares and are definitly better than old computers :)

By the way you mentioned your liking is primarily towards Rock (more than Metal).
    May I suggest you look at Korg AX3000G too.
    It is similar prices, new product. Has got good and strong "Rock" tones.

9. getshorty80

getshorty80 New Member

hey alpha,you see dude, i do play other kind of music too. So right now thinking abt POD 2.0 or xt or Floor POD, like the tones. If there is no problem with the lack of stomp pedals then i would have bought them long back and as such there are updates for POD(which keeps me with POD then to the BOSS).
    Korg is amazing but the shope where i am asking my sis is not doing it as well as i might not stick with rock tones. so Alpha sorry to bother u so much but i do understand what u are trying to say but want something flexible and also of my budget which is of max 200 pounds(this is what i have given my sis right now).

10. faiqrock

faiqrock XaiQ

Me 50 :rock: :rock:

11. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Errr. Lemme go slightly tangent. :)

You said you want a few good tones, get pedals. Instead of processor.
    They will sound a lot more professional.

Plus if you can keep adding pedals as and when you want.

12. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

have u checked out the Zoom G7.1uT ...comes in with a built in tube....hear its awesome...ill post some sound clips in a month..when it arrives at my house :)

13. getshorty80

getshorty80 New Member

hey alpha, i was raelly into individual pedals but then when i was looking at the pedal boards man it was kind of getting expensive.

ok now i am thinking about individual pedals also - tell me i play mostly ROCK(classic,hard, and metal) i cant spend more then 150-170 pounds sorry abt me talking in pounds cause as i said i am getting it from the UK. wo what pedals to go for was thinking DS-2orMT-2,CH-1 if possible cry baby which one is more flexible so that i will be able to move around al sorts of rock music.
    But more confusing what if i need more sounds? so thats why i am looking at processors!! help me on that too.

14. getshorty80

getshorty80 New Member

and i still play with a 505II haha(dont ask me- think it does the trick for playin in my basement). Dont know how a G7.1ut would be. sorry.help me out there too.

15. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Hmm
    You can start with
    1. Strong Overdrive pedal (they can cover everything except metal)
    2. Delay: one Effect that you will really need. Rest effects like flanger / chorus / phaser / filter etc are rarely used
    3. Wah pedal
    4. Volume pedal (optional)

The way I see it, right now three pedals is all you require.
    Infact, if your playing doesn't involve Wah, you can skip that too.

16. getshorty80

getshorty80 New Member

Ok i am thinking abt OS-2/OD-3 , DS-1/DS-2 , Digital delay(DD-3/DD-6).If i can do a bit more on the budget then i would get a original cry baby.
    Please help me on this selsction as i need to know which one would fit my music. i do play metal some times so thats why i am linking a distortion so i can couple with a over drive. thanks for the suggestion alpha please let know on this too. thanks a lot.

17. getshorty80

getshorty80 New Member

Wah i dont really use it a lot for now. but instead of that i am thinkin say
    DS-1/DS-2
    OS-2/MXR - ZW44
    DD-3
    Help out mate.
    thanks for the advice alpha. and others too.

18. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

do u need so many distortions/overdrives? you could probably get:
    1 Reverb
    1 Overdrive
    1 Distortion
    1 Pedal / Wah

19. getshorty80

getshorty80 New Member

no dude i want u guys to tell me if ds-1 or ds2 like that cuase the MXR ZW is a over drive and if i need some metal tones then i was thinking of coupling it with the distortion pedal

20. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

cool...thats a cool idea....im looking for a processor too...my budget is 16k indian money...thats abt 200pounds or less.....im almost 90% of going in for a zoom G7