Should i buy a distortion pedal along with guitar?

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by lazy_headbanger, May 1, 2008.

1. lazy_headbanger

lazy_headbanger New Member

hey ppl,I'll be graduating to an electric guitar soon.and the thing is,i'll be buying the ibanez GRG-170(got my eye to the demonic axe) and i have a crappy amp(the stranger 20 cube) w/o an overdrive or distortion.

So should i buy a distortion pedal,thinkin of goin with Boss DS-1 coz the metal zone is outta my budget and stick with the present amp(which works like new) or buy an amp with a build in overdrive/distortion which would preferably the marshall MG10CD.I play thrash metal ,pantera,slipknot,as i lay dying etc etc....so help me out!!

2. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

A pedal thru stranger would sound like crap....strangers have full range speakers, so you would need some sort of cabinet simulation for good tones..

personally i would keep the stranger and buy a multifx like the Rp50..since you need mostly distortion...But it hink the marshall would give you much better cleans...

3. lazy_headbanger

No man.i'll buy the multifx later.I just need good(in my budget,fine) distortion.don't need all that fancy yet cool stuff now.so,watta u say??
    DS-1 or a Marshall?

4. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

marshall!!.....stranger+ds1=bad

But atleast buy the marshall mg15....or even a laney lx20. I,ve heard it has better distortion than the marshalls..

5. lazy_headbanger

I was checkin that out too,damn exams...

Neway,thanks for the help man!!!keep rocking

6. SqueakM9

SqueakM9 mumble

i know i'll get shot for this but you getting a new guitar, and either a small amp or a cheap pedal?
    be a smart bugger and get line6 and headphones,
    hawk off your amp to some stupid kid who takes anything you say to be law and then later on get a better amp, or even PA
    i dunno but i do say marshall

7. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

Ya and he sould wait till he has money to buy a a good amp like mesa....

8. lazy_headbanger

a line6..dudes,am a lil short on budget .i checked the uber metal and it amazed me like hell.but 6K for a pedal right now,can't be done.i have 3K left,anything above that is a dream right now,for 2 months atleast.am a cheap dumb bugger for now.

9. lazy_headbanger

O.K
    I did a little research,found the Micro Spider(Line6),and that's what i'll buy,if i can get it.

10. D_minor7

D_minor7 New Member

dude...i have an os-2 and a stranger NS-30....man did they sound crappy...i have graduted to a ME-50 now.First things first...dont buy any amps with distortion from stranger....they speacialize in strange sounds....the cube-20 is a bargain...it retails for around 1100-1200 in their factory outlet in kolkata....don buy the spider...it will be bad investment...its really really tiny.. and just buying the ds-1 wont suffice trust me....maybe u should keep the cube 20 and buy a zoom 505 2

11. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Dude
    If you still not made your purchase - then listen to me.

You have a stranger. Thats actually good. Stranger dont have any voicing of their own - so it would go pretty good with any pedal or processor that imitates an amp.

I am not talking about Pedals like DS-1 or MT-2 etc. Those pedals are strictly made to be used in front of Guitar voiced amps. Am talking about pedals like AMT Metallizer, TEch 21 Sansamp etc.

The great thing about these pedals are that you can go straight to PA system also while gigging live, or straight to mixer while doing recording. And they DO sound pretty professional.

Much better than you buying another Crappy marshall or Laney for 10-15K and putting crappy Boss distortion unit worth 2-3K.

Decide right now and make a wise purchase. If I were in your position I would've started looking out for pedals that sound great straightaway, and they don't require a TUBE amp to make it sound good (unlike DS-1 and SD-1 and the likes).

BTW, Line6 products are also pretty good. But most important is the availability. Check if the stuff you are looking out for is available at your stores.

I took names of AMT, Tech21 and Line 6 because all these are atleast available online in India.

So dont change your amp. Save that money. And buy better distortion pedal.

12. SqueakM9

SqueakM9 mumble

once again...
    grab a second hand line6 pod or something else that is being sold on igt ot be even smarter and just get the gat and save up for an X3 live...
    that thing is truly nuts...
    oir even read through all the other posts regarding pedals and see where other dudes are at

13. lazy_headbanger

I'll be buying the gear early next month.
    So,it all comes to one thing,"Buy a pedal worth 6k"

ppl,i know that tech 21's,AMT is pretty good.But i'll get all those effects +great cleans with the Line6 Spider.check out the vid at youtube and that too at the same price.

So,here wat'll do.will take my stranger with me and check it out with diff pedals and compare it with the line6 amp(i think its available at Remal or Onstage in delhi).whatever has my sound,i'll take it.i think its a pretty decent method.

14. SqueakM9

SqueakM9 mumble

yeah i agree...
    and bring some one who can play any song you wanna hear on demand just so you can stand back and listen or fiddle wtih the settings as they start hamming out ACDC or ZEP
    theres nothing better than having some one sound amazing on your cheap shitty gear trust me.