shivmani...!

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by kaiser, Nov 12, 2004.

1. kaiser

kaiser Bored

hey.....if we were to compare shivmani with the other great drummers........where would he feature on....say, a top 20 list?

thanks

2. ananth222

ananth222 Beginner

If you consider all percussion, Shivamani, the great Alla rakha khan, Zakir Hussain, Vikku Vinayakam, his son Selvaganesh, all would feature in my top 20.

3. jayanth

jayanth <.: : Call Quits : :.>

One my list tt would be close to 10 the power of the Number of Fans he has...

Portnoy Is The Best..

4. gautam_njoy

gautam_njoy New Member

shivmani is good... i think he wil be there in my list for sure... i dont know about much drummers... whose the best according to u ppl...

5. kaiser

kaiser Bored

eaxctly... even i dont know much. i think jayanth can tell us.
    btw, jayanth, i didnt get ur msg......n whos portnoy?

6. Menon

Menon New Member

Heyya
    Well, since this thread has received only one liners,albeit unfunny ones, I tht I'd shed some light and some of my wordload!! ;)
    I've seen Sivamani live in Chennai, at the IIT amphi, if I'm not mistaken. That being besides the point, he was simply brilliant and like all good showmen, he gets the crowd to participate in his intricate and often mind-boggling rhythms.I think his strength lies in his versatility and sheer ingenuity..I mean..there was this gong that he rings and dips into a bucket half filled with water, halfway thru the sound and back out of the bucket towards the other half..giving and effect of vibrato and fluctuating echo..I hope I've described it well enuff to give you an idea of how sinple observation can be put to artistic use!! That was one of his more sedate antics..as for the wilder ones, he managed to make even a vinyl pipe sound like a complex instrument!!
    But that aside, there were other artistes too, like Vikku Vinyakar, Selvaganesh, Ustad Taufiq Qureshi, Ustad Zakir hussain and with all due respect, this Maharashtrian dude on the mridingam!! It was brilliant, and as usual, they saved the best for last..involving themselves in a breathtaking jugalbandi! I tht I'd a decent sense of rhythm cos I once banged some skins for a small lil band n things..but what they came up with was simply awesome man!!
    OKk..sorry..back to the discussion..haha..I manage to take off on these tangents..but come to think of it, it's a good way to keep dry conversation going, it's kinda easy to make friends..it's keeping them that worries me!! :think: there I go again..
    NEways..well, a few of the more known drummers are Alex Van Halen(I think), Lars Ulrich, Spencer H, and the Dream Theatre drummer..forgive my ignorance, but that's all I knw abt him!!BIll Ward'll definitely make it..not to forget Dave Grohl...aww he was jus the bomb man!!
    That's all that're comin to a very vacant mnd right now..
    Till later
    tOke it easy
    Cheerio
    Menon

7. jayanth

DT Drummer is POrtnoy.. Alex was okish.. Lars is still a learner.. Nick MEnza is way better.. Nicko McBrian is again a sexy drummer..Nicholas Barker is a Havoc... Tjodalv was good until Nicholas Barker replaced him.. Jason Rullo is kick in the wrong place too..
    https://www.jasonrullo.com/ Check THis Out..

Jaska Raatikainen is Tireless on Double Bass...

8. jayanth

Not to forget Kerala Legend Jayesh. India's Only death Metal Drummer..

9. DesiPride143

DesiPride143 BEHAVE!

who is shivamani

10. ananth222

ananth222 Beginner

Another great drummer I've heard is Buddy Rich, a jazz drummer. u guys should listen to him if u get the chance.. he was unbelievable!

check out this site:
    https://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Buddy_Rich.html

it has some videos of buddy rich playing. Check out the Ed Shaughnessy - Buddy Rich drum battle.. exhilarating!!

11. kaiser

kaiser Bored

havent heard of anyone besides lars ulrich.....jeeez....

12. jayanth

@ Desi Pride.. - Shivmani is a Drummer (Wannabe) with no great stype.. No accuracy No specialities(Besides his bald head) and Shot upto Fame because of ARR and not his playing..

@ Kaiser :- Then you are way back in time.. :p

13. tejas

tejas ..........

Yeah, Shivamani is good. But i think the best drummer would be Danny Carrey of Tool. And there is something to be proud of there, 'cause he learnt drums/percussion from Alok datta.

14. bob-bobby

bob-bobby Extinct or Banned!

all of them are good , shivamani is quite good , he know his technics well ,...

15. kaiser

kaiser Bored

yea jayanth....i know. gotta do a lota catching up..!

16. jayanth

I see no Technique in Banging Plates and spoons with a drum Kit in the middle..

17. bob-bobby

bob-bobby Extinct or Banned!

its not all about drinking a draft beer in some pub ,...

18. Menon

Menon New Member

Heyya Jayant..
    That's awfully hard on someone like Sivamani..you can't attribute Siva's rise to fame due to ARR, no way..that man had been providing percussion for other music directors for quite a while before ARR caught up with him..I won't deny that his style evolved after playin for Rehman, but dude...he's as accurate and neat as they come..and technique doesn't show a thing abt the drummer's talent cos most these drummers are born with the rhythm..and if you tht good technique meant good drummin, then you're missin out on some really lovely music out there cos the more innovative and unique you get, the more you will discover abt this really vast universe of music:)

19. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

so do i....i used to think matt sorum was good :eek:

20. jayanth

@Menon :- Thats my point .. I dont see any Rhythm.. PLaying in a studio is Easy.. PLaying live is where your talent comes to light.. And i have sem Shiv play like many times and Have seen nothing GREAT about him.. But when you Watch the Pulse - Pink Floyd Video.. And Watch Learning To Ply.. Thats HOW ITS DONE... Not banding Plates with spoons on stage.. All that matters is he is OVERRATED.. But i dont blame localites.. If everyone and anyone here listened to COB and Dimmu then you would put your Hindi Collection to the side..