Seeking help - for a complete setup

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by chachoch, Nov 14, 2004.

1. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

dude...i recently chekd with furtados..GRX40 is now for some 11K...so chek it with them..dont go by the pricelist they give u....or the catalogue...its pretty old...

2. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

BTW entry level LPs are abt 11k in furtados in mumbai....that wud have to be a epiphone special II.. it inst that good...
    the next has to be epiphone LP 100 ....ive played it and it definately sounds better then the ibanez..its for around 14k.....it has a great heritage cherry fireburst finish....looks great..tho u also get an ebony....the one u get over here in made in korea.....it has a nice heavy sound to it....i found it any day better than the ibanez...
    if i was u i wud NEVER EVER EVER go for a squier...they suck big time.....squier is the shittiest guitar u can buy for any amount of money..
    a mexican strat in mumbai costs around 30k....same as an epiphone LP standard..but the deal is if u want a LP standard....u will have to order it for u....so that is a slight hitch... for the amps try MG30DFX from marshall..they are 30W come for around 11k and have built in digital effects...delay reverb ...and 2 more ..i forgot which....has built in overdrive too..and an option for an expression pedal...

3. jayanth

jayanth <.: : Call Quits : :.>

I still suggest for a Custom....

4. chachoch

chachoch New Member

To Jayanth specifically,

Yup, so does the custom guitar package include Floyd-Rose tremolo? Or even Standard Tremolo?

Do you get better range of options in Bangalore. It is close by. I can try buying it from there if I could try more guitars (ie. Aria, Kramer etc.)

Kay

5. chachoch

chachoch New Member

Generally, what do you guys mean

Hey,

This might be a little irritating to you, but I would be really happy if you could pin-point something for me.

A lot of persons in this thread have mentioned that guitar X is better than guitar Y and so on. What do you mean by that?

Is it the

- The tone of the guitar (according to the pick up choices - H + S + H > S + H + S > S + S + S)
    - The fretboard (Jumbo > Medium frets, 24 > 22 frets)
    - The features (Floyd Rose > Standard > No Tremolo)
    - The finish (Plain looks)
    - The durability (How long this thing remains playable, how often do you have to tune it)
    - The make (Japanese > Korean > Chinese)

OR

Is it just a combination amongst these features?

Another question - I have plenty of experience on Acoustic guitars but am starting on electric guitar. So do I need a higher-end guitar (with say Floyd Rose Tremolo and Jumbo Frets and 24 frets etc?)

Thanks in advance for all replies.

Cheers

Kay

6. chachoch

chachoch New Member

Do you know about Aria Guitars and Kramers? Are the cheaper ones available in Furtados?

Cheers

Kay

7. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

furtados has kramers...no arias tho....they have a huge kramer range here.....
    Voyager FR222S- 34,100
    Vanguard FR440S- 31,775
    Imperial FR404S-26,375
    Striker FR422S-25,050
    Striker FR424S-25,700
    Striker FR2027S-28,050
    i say huge ...coz in thesse u get a lot of different finishes..and u do have the option of left or right handed ones in some.

for Arias u may have to hunt elsewhere...theres one more music shop in CST called shalu music...they have lots of other brands...like comet..etc....u do have kramer there too...but the comet les pauls are quilt tops... :annoyed: ...u could look for aria at albertos in malad in mumbai...

8. chachoch

chachoch New Member

Guys,

I had e-mailed the official dealer of Ibanez guitars in India about purchasing a guitar in Mumbai. Here's the reply that I got.

Dear Sir,

I am in receipt of your e mail of today. We are the exclusive distributors
    for Ibanez and Fender, the Ibanez GRX 40 has been supplied by us these are
    made in China and therfore they are available at these prices. We are
    expecting some good guitar by December 15th so if you plan visting Mumbai
    you are welcome I am sure you will find a guitar of your choice. We are the
    biggest dealer and Importer of branded products and are supplying Fender and
    Ibanez guitars to even furtados in mumbai.

We are well known by the name Bhargava's and have our own outlet opposite
    Furtados in Mumbai. You caa get the Ibanez guitar fitted with a floyd rose
    bridge in your budget. We would therfore suggest that you visit us in Mumbai
    and check out the guitars. Our address is as follows.

BHARGAVA'S MUZIC
    541, KALBADEVI ROAD,
    RAVINDRA HOUSE,
    MUMBAI - 400 002
    TEL : 2201 2626
    CTC : Mr. Fernandes

Looking forward to seeing you.

best wishes
    For Music Distribution Co.

Mukesh Bhargava

What do you think?

Cheers

Kay

9. jayanth

YOu get god Ibanez in Bangalore.. also COmet and Custom ones Chachoch..

10. bhau

bhau New Member

Which guitar should i buy

see i have budget of Rs12,000 only for guitar excluding amplifier so which one should i buy......i am playing guitar from 1 year and from few months I have started playing Metallica and Korn (but not playing well ) so which one should i Buy.......going to buy by 7-8 dec in Mumbai .....mainly from furtados

11. jayanth

Buy A Comet..

Keep in Mind that a Custom would cost you the same with better shape and tone..

12. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Hi Chachoch,
    I dont understand what do you mean by a high end guitar. High end doesn't mean a Floyd Rose tremelo. If your music style is such that you dont require those wierd whammy sounds dont spend that money on a floyd rose. You can use that extra 5K which you are spending on the Floyd Rose to get a better guitar without Floyd Rose. Floyd Rose is just a matter of musical preference and doesn't imply anything on the quality of the guitar. Those Jumbo Frets and Fretboard scalloping are again playing requirements. Dont go by these features unless you require them. Same with 24 frets. I see a lot of people having 24 fret guitar just for the sake of having them and hardly play anything beyond 20 frets. These extra money can be used to get a good guitar with a better sound and feel than a guitar with poor sound and feel but has 24 frets, Floyd Rose, blah blah.
    For your budget please forget Japanese Guitars. Even if you buy in the US, Japanese make guitars are more expensive than American made guitars.
    Since it's your first electric, I suggest you go with a simple strat and then save money for your next guitar, which you can buy according to your need. After playing it for a while, you will know yourself what kind of features you require in a guitar. People like Ritcie Blackmore or Yngwie Malmsteen can always get a 24 fret guitar with Floyd Rose. They dont use it because they dont need it. For their requirements Fender Strat goes best. Get a simple one and explore and know your requirements.

13. bhau

bhau New Member

Guitar specification

which guitar specification i.e. details should be given more attention while buying ................

14. chachoch

chachoch New Member

My idea

Ronnie,

I'd try to clarify what I meant by the term 'high-end' guitar and why I thought the features which I mentioned would be very useful for all guitar players.

First of all, what I meant by 'High-end' guitars are those which are universally regarded as highly playable, great sounding, great looking and of course reliable in tuning and durable for a long period of time.

Now, I have gone through a few websites and I have understood that these features come with higher priced guitars than those which my budget is suited for. At least, with Ibanez or Fender, which are widely regarded as being the benchmarks in guitars.

I'll try to explain why I thought that the features which I've mentioned come in 'high-end' guitars.

Floyd Rose tremolo - Ideally, guitar should remain in tune while being played. Same applies if you tweak your whammy bar. With a standard tremolo, most guitars will go out of tune (even the classics like a Fender Strat) if you use your whammy bar. I have come to know that double-locking tremolos can solve this problem. And of course, Floyd-Rose is considered as the best among double locking tremolos. Therefore, I would like to have a guitar with tremolo.

Jumbo Frets Vs. Rest - I have heard that Jumbo frets are easier to play with and therefore easier to learn on.

24 Vs. 22 frets - I have tried a couple or so songs by Metallica in which the solos can go upto 23rd or 24th frets (via Tabs of course). If I'm going to try those songs out, I would be benefitted by having a 24 fret guitar!

Pick ups and arrangement - Metal songs are best played on a H - S - H arrangment I guess.

That's about it.

I hope you understood.

But having said all this, I understand that since I'm a novice, I needn't go for all this stuff. I'll keep your suggestion in mind.

Cheers

Kay

15. jayanth

Dude Any guitar without a Floyd Rose bridge is quite lame.. Its sad that you keep tuning and tuning when you use Whammy...

Go for Jumbo Frets.. YOu can gain Speed and control over your fingers..

24 would be better.. Its bad to have two frets less and learn or compose a solo which needs one extra note..

Pickup arrangement.. Metal songs are best played on H - H or As you said even H-S-H

16. chachoch

chachoch New Member

For a novice

Jayanth,

I guess I was 'educated' enough for a novice!

Cheers

Kay

17. jayanth

Since you are in THiruvananthapuram, Trudge over to chennai and Get the Cusom doine.. YOu wont regret it..

18. chachoch

chachoch New Member

Further research

Hey guys,

I managed to get someone to check out guitars in Chennai for me. Apparently, there is a store which sells foreign 'seconds' guitars ie. those which has scratches etc. on them for 7 Ks. I don't know more than that.

Is that an option to be considered?

Cheers

KK

19. jayanth

I wouldnt go for it.. If you are ok with a scratched guitar go for it..

20. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

guitar experiences

look dude dont let anyone tell u wat to buy or nething but at the same time amke an informed choice.

every makers website has a list of each guitars features.

i can tell u this much that i have bought the following at some point:
    yamaha rjx 121 sj or something like that - awesome guitar - but cost me 18k - from furtados bombay
    an ibanez grg270 dx (24fret, w/floyd rose and shark tooth inlay) - 18k from bhargavas bombay, (opp. furtados)

i ordered this one from the us - obviously the pick of the lot - ibanez rg370dx - awesome guitar!!! - i got it after discount for 370 usds. i love it.

i have used a johnson strat imitation guitar - that is an imitation of the fender start - its pretty good and costs 8k - nice touch, decent tone, 22 fret.

just look around - u get pretty good deals.

most importantly make a choice that suits you - no one can tell you that a fender is better of an ibanex is better - each has its own touch and tone.

its up to u