Seeking help - for a complete setup

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by chachoch, Nov 14, 2004.

1. go for an epiphone les paul..coz gibsons will be expensive..
    if ur lucky i got a comet les paul copy which sounds gr8..
    the prob with brands like comets and other indian brands are that the same model guitars are not consistently good...there will be one in say 10-15 which will be really good while the rest will be ok or shitty..
    a fender squier strat will also be a good choice ..but then again u play metal..
    the best way to go abt things
    will be go to the music store and try out a truck load of guitars for the price range u have..
    never tried playin the base through those processors..but im guessin itll be shitty..
    the body of a strat and ibanez is pretty similar actually..
    ibanez entry level guitars are good ..but im not a big fan ..
    ive tried out one of the rg series...
    had a nice neck ..thin and fast..pretty decent..
    the tone was a bit on the thinner side and was crunchy sounding..good for some heavy riffs...
    les pauls are thicker sounding and has warmer tone...but nonthless u can play metal with them ..
    theyve got necks which are fatter ...but i find it comfortable..
    ultimately its ur comfort that matters..

2. jayanth

jayanth <.: : Call Quits : :.>

Epiphones Suck.. atleast the Indian ones do.. YOu cant play the Bass thru the AX or RP.. the signal will blow the circuit.. (Trust Me ON This).. The Squier is a CHEAP alternative to everything.. as Pro said go for custom or go for The GRX 40.. If you come online sometime, i will show you how my jackson sounds and my friends Ibanez sounds.. In terms of Metal, Ibanez is quite far behind.. Yet again Kramers are unheard.. YOu cant exactly say Unheard.. Its like Jackson.. Eof the good players use it.. And very few of them are known.. Same with Kramer..

Your Best Bet is a
    Custom Guitar.. MY SUGGESTION..
    Pro's Suggestion .. GRX 40

3. esgallindeion

esgallindeion Minstrel Knight

Well since your budget is around 30k... I would say leave not more than 10k for processor... hopefully you'll get for less than that... i got ax100G for arnd 7k... then try to use the a major proportion of the remainder for your guitar... in fact i wouldn't hesitate spending arnd 20k of your budget on the guitar because essentially thats the most important part of your gear... and amplifiers can be shared or borrowed... you can even use a low quality amp until you're ready to gig and then you should have saved enough for a better one... initially your main concern should only be the guitar... processor if you want...

ibanez better models would be excellent but they might be a tad bit expensive... les paul epiphone would be a nice choice though... what you need to do is go to the store and try out a few guitars and judge for yourself... n then share your experiences with ur and take what advice ppl can give..

4. chachoch

chachoch New Member

I'll do that

Hey guys,

I'm planning to make the purchase from Cochin on Tuesday. Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

As you guys have adviced me, I'll be trying out a lot of guitars and buy something that I would be comfortable playing and great-sounding to my ears.

Hopefully I can buy something which is an excellent buy for the budget.

Cheers

Kay

5. jayanth

To Each His Own

6. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Hi,
    You can use your processor at least AX100G for the bass. In our band we always play bass with distortion. We either use Korg AX100G or MXR 104 Distortion+. A bass guitar cannot blow the circuit of AX100G if you use good speakers. If you really want detailed explanations I can tell you. The amplitude of the signals coming from the bass guitar is not high enough to blow up any circuitry. The difference is only the frequency of the singals coming from the bass, which is very low. If low frequency can blow up a cicuitry, then some amazingly crappy electronics. If you use crappy or very flimsy speakers, the very low and amplified bass sounds can crack up your speaker cone. In such cases, the coil inside the speakers might get short circuited and this short circuit will result in a shorting of the + and - in your pedals. As the current increases, the heat increases in squares of the current (Joule's Law). This could result in a damage to the processor. So the culprit is not the pedal. It's the speaker.

7. jayanth

I have had experience with that.. Blown up once..

8. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Just a victim of circumstances. My bassist uses all the time.

9. jayanth

Used it for a year.. Then it was buried in the cemetery.. It deteriorates with time..

10. chachoch

chachoch New Member

You have taken a big load off my chest!

Hey Ronnie,

THANK YOU!

I really really want to thank you for sharing your experiences with the bass + FX processors. I was so disappointed to read the post my Jayanth about blowing circuits.

Right now, I'm really happy. And relieved.

Cheers

Kay

11. chachoch

chachoch New Member

Preliminary search - disappointing

Yesterday, I went to Cochin and checked out the guitars/cubes available on sale there in the major shops. All we could get our hands on was a Behringer V-Tone, an Ibanez low end (probably GRX 40) and a Squier Showmaster.

The Behringer guitar was impressive for it's price - just Rs. 5, 000. The fretboard was okay. Tone was more shrill than warm and the pick ups could use a bit of adjusting. The pick-selector looked to be in a bad condition. The make was not specified.

The Ibanez guitar (probably GRX 40) was made in China. It was the only piece available. It looked good. It played well. Great freboard, nice tone (warmth). Except for a slight tuning problem with the second string (which we could have tried getting corrected before the possible purchase) the guitar looked good. It was for 14 000 Rs. The pro-guitarist who was helping me in buying the guitars was feeling okay except for the fact that it was a little too expensive for a Chinese make. This also didn't have tuning locks at either end.

The Squier Showmaster was a disappointment. It didn't look good. It had a narrower fretboard and therefore was harder to play. That was too for 14 000 and it was made in Indonesia.

We tried asking the guy if there are options for other Ibanez guitars. He wasn't sure if he could get something of a Japanese make in my budget ranger.

We went to another dealer who dealt with Kramers. He said that he could order for a decent Kramer guitar at around 12 to 14 K. We said that we will inform him in case we needed it.

We finally ended up feeling disappointed at the options available for us.

What I'm planning to do is this --

-- Ask around for the street prices of Ibanez guitars in Mumbai, Bangalore and Chennai perhaps.

-- See if I can get someone to bring me a guitar from abroad; perhaps Singapore. I have heard that those from Singapore are of good quality and are cheap.

-- Or maybe I should just buy the Behringer V-Tone guitar and work with it until I have enough money to spend for an expensive Japanese make Ibanez later.

Do you have something to contribute?

Cheers

Kay

12. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

That Ibanez GRX40 for Rs. 14,000 is a blatant rip-off. I checked out a store here in Toronto and it sells for $225 CAD which is approximately Rs. 10,000 after tax and everything. If you do decide to go for that one, bargain like hell.

Regarding the guitar itself I've played it and the neck isn't the greatest. Other annoyances for me were that it didn't come with a Floyd Rose (gotta love those dive bombs) and the pickups weren't great. If you're learning, go for it, but as you improve you might wanna go for something better. In my opinion if you're extremely keen on playing guitar (i.e. you sure you won't quit etc.), go for something higher-end.

13. pro_Guitar

pro_Guitar New Member

First of all its a GRX 140 not GRX 40.
    Secondly when chachoch says "The pro-guitarist who was helping me in buying" - Thats not me.
    For "DEATH_METAL_FAN" -Thirdly Its a Rip off only when you find another Indian store selling for a lesser price . Don't Compare canadian prices when you live in India.
    For a Rs 10,000 price Tag thats the kind of neck and sound you'll get. You can pay around rs 4000 extra and get a GRX-170 with Shark tooth inlay, powersound pickups, chrome hardware and FAT10 bridge.
    You still won't get a Floyd rose tremelo system though.

Chachoch- If you want an Ibanez thats good value - otherwise go buy an Aria superstrat for around the same price which is a whole world better. And they come with a floyd rose style tremelo system as well.
    You can buy an Aria XL-STD for around Rs 12000 [2-1-1]
    And a Aria XL-DLX for around Rs 15000 [2-1-2]

Attached Files:

14. chachoch

chachoch New Member

Wow,

Pro_guitarist - are these ARIA guitars avaialable for that price in mumbai? If yes, I'm booking a train ticket very soon!

And could someone in Mumbai tell me the various brands of guitars available in Mumbai?

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Kay

15. pro_Guitar

pro_Guitar New Member

I'm not sure dude. i know they do sell arias in bombay. I don't really live in india anymore so You'll just have to locate a dealer.

16. chachoch

chachoch New Member

Thanks

Pro_guitar,

Thanks for the help anyway. Is there anyone in Mumbai who knows if these guitars are available?

Cheers

Kay

17. chachoch

chachoch New Member

Ibanez GRX40

Guys,

Today, I went to check out the guitars at a shop in Trivandrum. They had the same Ibanez that I had seen in Cochin. But this time I was able to get a closer look about the specifics about the guitar.

The label attached to the guitar says Ibanez GRX40-TB (means Transparent Blue) (2B-01). It is made in China (not Japan). On the head on the side of 'Ibanez' something like 'Gi0' is written. It has an average fretboard (which is way better than those in Indian made guitars; the only ones that I have played). I didn't see the 'Fat 10 tremolo' attached to the guitar.

I liked the way the guitar sounds. I liked the way the fretboard felt. I'm also pretty sure that the guitar would sound even better if I'd put in better strings.

Here are the specs of GRX40-NM (Navy Metallic) from the official Ibanez site

https://ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=GRX40&color=2

GRX neck
    Maple Neck Material
    Alder Body
    22/Medium frets
    Rosewood Finger Board
    FAT 10 bridge
    PSNDS (S) Neck PU
    PSNDS (S) Mid PU
    PSND2 (H) Bridge PU
    Pearl Dot Inlay
    CH : Hardware Color

GRX neck - 25 1/2" scale neck with 19.5mm thickness at the nut offers the RG/Wizard feel at a more affordable price. Superior in quality and playability to other necks in this price range.
    Alder Body-Best known as the body wood for the "classic single coil, bolt on neck guitar," alder produces clear, full bodied vintage tone that works well for lead or rhythm work.
    Rosewood Finger Board-Rosewood offers a strong, bright sound and an attractive appearance with a long grain.
    CH : Hardware Color Chrome

This thing is priced around 170 - 240 dollars as stated by many websites.

The reviews for this guitar

https://www.epinions.com/inst-Electric_Guitars-GRX40/display_~reviews

- It's a great guitar for beginners
    - It's a great value for money
    - It gives a Strat like warm tone
    - It's good for all kinds of music
    - It's fretboard is highly playable
    - It's standard tremolo detunes the guitar while using the tremolos or huge bends

To cap it off, I've attached it's picture as well.

The shopowner here in Trivandrum said that he can give it for 13.5 K.

What do you think? Should I buy it?

Anything else to look for?

Cheers

Kay

Attached Files:

18. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

I beg to differ my friend. As he rightly said it's a GRX40. Don't know what the GRX140 is....never seen it, never heard of it.

I don't think the GRX40 is worth a buy because I have played it and to be honest it's crap for the amount of money you spend on it. You're much better off going for a low-end Jackson.

I told him about the price in Canada because he specifically mentioned that he's considering ordering a guitar from abroad. If he wants to do that then ordering from abroad will definitely work out cheaper.

19. pro_Guitar

pro_Guitar New Member

20. chachoch

chachoch New Member

The prices of other Ibanez guitars

Damn,

I just looked at the MRP pricing list that the Furtados guy sent me and at the bottom (after the regular guitar section) there are details and prices of the guitar that I've been discussing about.

Could you tell me how good (or bad) is GRG 270 and GSA 60?

Kay
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    IBANEZ ELECTRIC SOLID BODY GUITARS SERIES

GRX 40 14700.00 -
    Basswood body, Maple Neck, Medium Frets, Fat 10
    Bridge, 2 Single 1 Humbucking pickup, chrome
    hardware colour : BK, TB,TR

GRX 70 15280.00 -
    Basswood body, Maple Neck, Medium Frets, Fat 10
    Bridge, 1 Single 2 Humbucking pickups, chrome
    hardware colour : BK, JB, SV

GSA 60 18490.00 -