Seeking help - for a complete setup

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by chachoch, Nov 14, 2004.

1. chachoch

chachoch New Member

Hey all,

I'm very happy to be a part of this wonderful forum for guitarists in and around India. Let me introduce myself

I'm a 25 year old from Trivandrum, Kerala. I'm primarily a bassist, also a guitarist. I have 6 years of experience on the guitars, but restricted to only acoustic. I have recently ventured into songwriting and am planning to expand my range by getting an electric guitar/multi FX processor and an amplifier (for my electric bass as well).

I have a load of acoustic guitars and Givson Electric bass. I listen to a lot of Alternative music and Grunge and would prefer playing it to classic/metal.

The problem is that I don't have a high budget - just about 30K. That is why I'm seeking your opinion here. I've already gone through most of the threads regarding this here. I just thought I would streamline my queries so as to help you suggest options.

These are my options as I see it...

Guitar - Fender Showmaster r Vs. Tansen professional (both around 12K) Vs. Behringer V-Tone (only 5K)
    Amp - I don't know too much. I need to get a 100 W amp (approx 7K) so that my bass could be played as well. Do I need inbuilt overdrive in the amp?
    Multi FX processor - Plan to buy Digitech RP200, or Korg AX100G. (7 K each)

Can you suggest some more options under 30 K?

Cheers

Kay

2. jayanth

jayanth <.: : Call Quits : :.>

Go For
    Guitar - Ibanez - Rg 270 - 15K
    Amp Stranger 100w at 7k
    Multi FX - RP200 - 7k

I k - for yourself.. Just celebrate.. Or buy good cables and switchboards..

THe best you can get.

3. chachoch

chachoch New Member

Thanks

Dear Jayanth,

Thanks for the fast reply. So Ibanez is what I should go for eh? What about overdrive in amps?

Cheers

Kay

4. jayanth

Your RP200 will give you all the Amp simulations etc..

5. chachoch

chachoch New Member

Sure about the price?

Dear Jayanth,

I just received an e-mail from the official dealer of Ibanez guitars in India (from Mumbai; I got the e-mail from the Ibanez site). They sent me an mrp price listing of all the equipment.

The cheapest electric guitar in there is 21 K.

Are you sure about 15 K price? Is RG270 available here? Is it good enough?

IBANEZ GUITARS JAPANESE & KOREAN ORIGIN

ELECTRIC GUITAR ( JAPAN ) JEM 7V - WH 98250.00 EACH
    ELECTRIC GUITAR ( JAPAN ) JEM 77 - FP 90800.00 EACH
    ELECTRIC GUITAR ( JAPAN ) JS 1000 - BTB 79000.00 EACH
    ELECTRIC GUITAR ( JAPAN ) RG 1550 - BK 50800.00 EACH
    ELECTRIC GUITAR ( JAPAN ) RG 1550 - SA 50800.00 EACH
    ELECTRIC GUITAR ( JAPAN ) RG 2550EX - GK 62500.00 EACH
    ELECTRIC GUITAR ( JAPAN ) RG 2620QM - TDB 69500.00 EACH
    ELECTRIC GUITAR ( JAPAN ) RG 1527 - BP 57500.00 EACH
    ELECTRIC GUITAR ( JAPAN ) RG 470 - BP 44225.00 EACH
    ELECTRIC GUITAR ( JAPAN ) RG 470 - CB 44225.00 EACH
    ELECTRIC GUITAR ( JAPAN ) RG 470 - RC 44225.00 EACH
    ELECTRIC GUITAR ( JAPAN ) RG 470 - SA 44225.00 EACH
    ELECTRIC GUITAR ( JAPAN ) RG 470 - ZS 44225.00 EACH
    ELECTRIC GUITAR ( JAPAN ) RG 470L - BK 47500.00 EACH
    ELECTRIC GUITAR ( JAPAN ) RG 450LTD - SD 50650.00 EACH
    ELECTRIC GUITAR ( KOREA ) EDR 170 - B 25000.00 EACH
    ELECTRIC GUITAR ( KOREA ) EDR 470 DX2 33750.00 EACH
    ELECTRIC GUITAR ( KOREA ) RG 250DX - WH 26000.00 EACH
    ELECTRIC GUITAR ( KOREA ) RG 320FA - WN 28000.00 EACH
    ELECTRIC GUITAR ( KOREA ) SA 360QM1 28875.00 EACH
    ELECTRIC GUITAR ( KOREA ) RG 150DX - BK 20000.00 EACH
    ELECTRIC GUITAR ( KOREA ) RG 150DX - WH 21000.00 EACH
    ELECTRIC GUITAR ( KOREA ) RGT 42SE - DR 46575.00 EACH

6. jayanth

RG270 is one of the best..

7. jayanth

You can go for the 150DX which is 20.. Also try the Jem 7V its amazing..

8. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Hey Chacoch,
    Dont go for Ibanez man. First of all, it's just not the guitar for Classic Rock. Pick up a Squier Strat rather or an Epiphone Les Paul which are within 15K. Fender Showmaster must be good too. Ibanez is good if you wanna play metal. Moreoever the Ibanez you get here are the Chinese ones which are not as good as they are supposed to be. I have played on a few of them and they just dont compare to my Korean make GB&a which I bought for 8K. Dont go for Behringer V-Tone. They sound bad. It's for people who dont care about the sound but just want something for 5K.
    Amp distortions are what the band world over use and all those scorching distortions you hear in those records are all built in amp distortions. But you should remember that those are all expensive tube amps. You dont get that good distortions in Solid State Amps. The cheaper alternative is use distortion pedals. Even they use distortion pedals but only for boosting the gain and sustain and not for the actual tone. So dont bother about inbuilt distortion with the amp. The overdrive you get with stranger is so pathetic that you will feel like quitting. Marhsal overdrives are pretty good. You can have a look at 40W Marshal which has a nice distortion even though it's solid state. My bassy uses a 15W, so a 40W will sound more powerful compared to a 100W Stranger. Stranger Amps are pathetic. Low in cost but low in quality too. But a good patch in a good processor can somewhat hide that fact.

Digitech gives a metalish sound and Korg AX100G has a more vintage sound. Rather just buy MXR 104 Distortion+ used by Van Halen and Randy Rhoads. You wont get their sound but you will love that creamy sound if you wanna play classic rock.

9. jayanth

He said he plays Metal Ronnie.. LOL.. :p:

What setup you have is for more like the olies stuff.. He deserves an Ibanez.. I have played Loads Of Ibanex all arre state of art..

Whatever..

Jackson Rulz

10. chachoch

chachoch New Member

Rg 270?

Jayanth,

I'm still unclear about RG 270... is it available? What is the price?

And Ronnie, thanks for the detailed reply. I play alternative > metal > classic rock.

Cheers

Kay

11. chachoch

chachoch New Member

Should I get from Mumbai?

Guys,

Now that I know that there aren't any official Ibanez retailers in Kerala, should I opt to buy from Mumbai. I heard from a friend of mine that there is an excellent guitar shop right next to the VT?

Any opinion?

Cheers

KK

12. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Hey,
    If you wanna play Classic / Metal, then Les Paul should be your only choice. Use my classic rock players like Jimmy Page, Joe Walsh, some hard rock guys like Slash and also Metal Players like Zakk Wylde. A thorough alrounder like a fender stratocaster. You can look at an Epiphone Les Paul and replace it with a Seymour Duncan and you will be rocking right there and then.
    For pedals I suggest you go with AX100G. That's pretty decent at a low cost. Also has an expression pedal to get started with playing with Wah.
    Amps - Marshal.

Ibanez is good if you get American or Japanese ones. Chinese ones are pathetic. I have seen people buying it for 20K+ and feel bad for having wasted their money when they play mine. I know a couple of people who are now wanting to change their Ibanez after playing my guitar. Their poor guitars are on sale now. :)

Have a look at Kramer. Pretty decent guitars. Very well made. Their marketing team is poor compared to Ibanez otherwise they would got all the Steve Vai, Satriani and Petrucci endorsing a Kramer than an Ibanez. Most of the greatest Van Halen songs were from a Kramer.

13. i second les pauls...they are pretty heavy sounding too..and can sound warm with proper amp settings...and the bridge pick up has enough crunch..
    im talkin about my les paul copy ...
    ive got the ax 100g..its pretty decent..
    hated the metal tone..but us hi gain ..thingy and proper prcessor settings gave me a good tone..
    ibanez guitars are thinner sounding...and honestly..im not a very big fan of the ibanez lower end models..the higher end models are great..

14. esgallindeion

esgallindeion Minstrel Knight

I also agree with dimebag... ibanez lower end models are shitty. And higher end models are more for speed metal. And it is not suited for alternative/classic rock at all, in my opinion. Les pauls are your best choice and if you take my advise spend a major part of your budget in your guitar... effects can only help you so much if your guitar isn't really very good. But Korg AX100G is not bad... I've been using it for a few years now and am in no mood to change any time soon.

@dimebag... I AGREE! The metal tone was crappy. The US hi gain was ok.. I usually made my custom tones with it....

15. jayanth

I like the Metal Amp on AX 100 G.. As long as you improve the tone.. THe Us Hi G is amazing though.. The RP 200 is better though.. Anyways.. Try to get an Ibanez from Chennai instead of Mumbai..

You can also try to get yourself a custom guitar from Chennai and put your own combination of pickups so it will sound great..

Basic Guitar Construction = Rs 6500
    Two Extra Humbuckers from DiMarzio = RS 6300
    And a Guitar Case = Rs 3000
    Total(After Negotiation) = Rs 15000
    After Discount = Rs 13000

The Plus Point is Any Shape, Any Wood can be selected..

16. zohaib

zohaib Shredder

hey really
    custom guitaring man cool
    well in tht case do we have our own choice of shape of the guitar and extra stuf ....

17. chachoch

chachoch New Member

And rounding it all up

After reading all of your messages... I'm not in a frame of mind to make a decision. But the general suggestion is to NOT go for a cheap Ibanez. But I'll make my decision up at the shop.

I still don't know the prize range of Les Pauls and Kramers. Anyone know about that?

And Jayanth, I'm not going for a custom made guitar.

I'd love to hear more suggestions.

Cheers

Kay

18. pro_Guitar

pro_Guitar New Member

At that price Range I'll second Jayanths suggestion > go Set yourself a Custom guitar Upgraded with really good Pickups.[EMGs Maybe - But they come at a price]
    If you don't gig I don't think A Big Amp is a priority for you.
    If you are into metal , yes you need a good processor You can still buy a Ax1000G for around Rs.10000.
    Better invest Wisely than pay for the brand name.
    If you don't want a custom, try the Ibanez GRX 140 for around Rs 10,000. Its entry level but quite good value.

19. chachoch

chachoch New Member

What about the other entry levels?

Entry level Fender - 12 K
    Entry level Ibanez - 10 K (approx?)
    What about Les Paul and Kramer?

Cheers

Kay

20. chachoch

chachoch New Member

Another quick question - can I play my bass through say Korg AX100G or Digitech RP200? I mean, will I get more sustain and possibly some other effects?

Cheers

Kay