Screeeeeeeeeech!!

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by notty_lad, Feb 16, 2006.

1. notty_lad

notty_lad sudo undress

Hey budz .. i've jz put a new set of strings to muh acoustic .. D'addario extra light .. gauge= 0.01 .. but they're screeching like hell wen i change chords or slide while playin lead .. i understand they are new .. but older ones never screeched even wen they were new wen i had bought da guitar (givson G215.. i guess da strings were givson) wats goin on man ???? :help:

2. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

screech? hmm. i dont remember encountering that problem... i do not know what might directly cause that screeching you hear. someone else will be able to obetter help but these are some things you mgiht want to do anyways:
    1. stretch out the strings by pulling them up gently. dont put too much pressure but pull them slightly. hold them over the 12th fret.
    2. try and clean thm using a dry cloth (i dont know how good this would be because your strings are new).
    3. clean your fretboard with lemon oil (if it is made of rosewood, which it mostly is)
    4. clean your hands thoroughly before playing, sometime the oil on them can make slightly odd noises, though this is more frequent on electrics which have more sensitivity.

best of luck.

3. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

1. Get a moisturiser.
    2. Apply generously on your fingertips.
    3. Wipe off the excess moisturiser after 5 minutes.

The noise is because your finger tips are dry, and the wound strings are not flat. Infact your fingers ARE supposed to make teh noise.

There are some special strings where the winding is flattened so that it feels as smooth as un-wound string.

4. notty_lad

notty_lad sudo undress

Thanx so much death n alpha for ur tips man .. :beer: ..

5. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

u mean flat wound strings?

6. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Oops yeah.
    Same thing.

But are they available at same price?

7. notty_lad

notty_lad sudo undress

Man i checked muh older strings .. they're all round not flat .. they never screeched .. but i find somethin really diff bout these new strings.. they're light.. n kinda make a diff sound .. I guess they'l get smooth wid time as I keep playin .. n later they'l sound good

EDIT: though keepin muh fingers moist helps in less screech :)

8. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

First of all is it an acoustic you use . And are the Daddario strings acoustic or did you use the elctric strings.

9. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

new strings "screach" more
    less amount of dirt in between the windings
    as the dirt fills up the gaps to result in a more or less smooth string ( so not as rough a surface to make the noise) ..the "screaching" will go down...
    and its not the d addarios it happens with any new strings even the karuna strings u get make that noise when new
    @ alpha
    i havent found flat wound strings yet in mymbai....
    :eek::

10. notty_lad

notty_lad sudo undress

@shridhar .. yeah .. it is an acoustic guitar .. n they are acoustic strings ..

@Daktur .. I guess dat is IT!!!! I totally agree .. ;)

Thanx everyone again for ur tips .. n sharing knowledge :beer: