Schecter Omen Extreme FR.....is the FR any good?

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by SiddFisher, Apr 7, 2011.

1. SiddFisher

SiddFisher New Member

Hey folks,
    I'm the owner of an Ibanez GSA60...nuff said. (It was my first guitar and the only one within my budget at the time)

So basically, I've gotten better and am looking to get my hands on a new guitar that lies within a price range of 30000. Since I'm in college right now, I can only check prices online and thus I'm using saptaswara.in for price references. I'm looking at something that can handle metal and hard rock well.

I've currently got schecter omen 6 Extreme FR(Rs.22000) and Dean Evo Noir(Rs.23000) and Razorback(27000) on my list(wont mind taking a few more recommendations from you guys :D). The Ibanez are always there, but I'm looking to try something new.

Now the Omen's got a Floyd Rose while the others don't (Razorback does but its beyond my budget).

So my question is, if anyone here owns/has played an Omen extreme FR, is the Floyd rose worth it? Does it get upset really quick? I'm not a frequent user of tremolo arms, but I won't mind using one that doesn't upset my tuning.
    Also, how easy is it to go to Drop D or drop C if I have the guitar setup for standard tuning......I read in UG forums that a Drop D can be reached from the fine tuners.

Thanks a lot. And I'll be glad if you guys can suggest some more guitars.

2. wylder

wylder Member

Dude, if you plan to change tunings frequently please dont bother getting a FR. It can get pretty annoying.

If you are new to FRs, you may take some time to get used to tuning it. On FRs, when you drop a strings tuning (say low E to D), the other 5 strings will compensate by changing their tunings to slightly above their standard pitches.

So you can drop D by ear pretty easily when the nut is locked but when you try playing with others, you will notice that your entire tuning is shifted by a fraction of a step. So if you try messing around with tunings on stage, it can be pretty catastrophic...

3. bcrich

bcrich New Member

Well, trying out something new in your budget could be a little difficult for you, my friend. I say, stick to IBANEZ. Try out if possible or search for reviews on the net ON the S420 and RG370DX models. They're quite worth the money.

:)