scales???

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by Dj-babu, Jun 26, 2005.

1. Dj-babu

Dj-babu New Member

what are scales ????,, how they are useful in playing guitar ???,(keep in mind that i am a begginer so do try 2 make it easy)) :dance: :dance: :help: .,,.,,, :help:

2. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

scales are the things that u find on fish body ... and i guess even on snakes ...
    u can use them as plectrums for strumming the strings of the guitar ...

L.O.L.

ok ... scales are nothing but a series of musically relevant notes ...
    u can have notes of any frequency ... however ... it has been found (by human experience) that certain frequency sound better together in a context ...
    a collection of such frequencies can be said a scale ...

like u got Sa re ga thing ... there are many such scales (or ragas) ... and usually during composing music ... one normally follows a scale ... which gives it a particular flavor ... like u can easily make out "indian music" .... or "arabian music" .... or "japanese music" ... or "spanish music" ... or "blues" ... or "rock music" ... the reason why u can make out is because of the notes that are being played in that music ...

so if u follow the scales (or rather the notes in the scale) typically u will get the kinda music ...

incidentally u got a scale for each of those musics i mentioned ...
    indian - double harmonic scale
    arabian - algerian scale and harmonic minor scale
    japanese - major pentatonic and some other jappu scales (dont remember the names)
    spanish - phrygian dominant scale and to some extent phrygian mode
    blues - blues scale and mixolydian mode and dorian mode
    rock - blues scale (played in different fashion), aeolian mode, pentatonic minor scale

P.S.: the modes which i have mentioned can be taken as nothing but scales .... so u can say aeolian scale instead of aeolian mode ... it doesnt matter ...

now how u go about playing them ... well for that simplest thing would be: to google these names ...

3. Alfons

Alfons C.F.H

use this formala for figuring out major scale(the pic )

the 1's indicate a full step which is like rem C to D or A to B or E to F#
    the 1/2 indicate a half step which is like frm C# to D and E to F !
    so if u use this formula nad start with C u shud get

the C major scale
    C D E F G A B

or with D
    D major scale
    D E F# G A B C# D :beer:

any probs let me know !

:rock: :cool:

Attached Files:

4. Tabish

Tabish New Member

can you plz tell something about major and minor scales

5. Alfons

Alfons C.F.H

MINOR SCALES
    nearly all minor scales give a type of sad tone so do minor chords( if not do 2 bad ,ur deaf!)

u can get the minor scale of a note by using this formula !!

REPS 4 ME !!

6. Alfons

Alfons C.F.H

MINOR SCALES
    nearly all minor scales give a type of sad tone so do minor chords( if not do 2 bad ,ur deaf! :shock:) :p:

u can get the minor scale of a note by using this formula !!
    the W's indicate a full step

if u use A then u'll shud get

A B C D E F G A

REPS 4 ME !! :rule:

Attached Files:

7. Alfons

Alfons C.F.H

NOTE: when all major scales r played they sound like SA RE GA MA ... or Do Re Me Fa.. whichever u use

8. Alfons

Alfons C.F.H

all major and minor scales r connected i a way ! :shock:

for eg the c major
    C D E F G A B
    and the A minor
    A B C D E F G A

notice sumthing in common ??
    they both hav the same notes !! only in different arrangments

dats cause the 6th note counting the root ( the 1st note in ur case C) in all major scales is itz RELATIVE minor scale :shock:

for eg the 6th note of the C major scale is A !!

and in a minor scale the 3rd is the MAJOR !

for eg A and C !

itz funny when u play a Minor and then a Major sounds totally different even though itz the same notes

NOTE: in any scale if u reach the root note again the distance from the root to the 2nd root is called an OCTAVE ! :think:

9. Alfons

Alfons C.F.H

kirk hammetz fav scale waz e minor or g major
    which iz
    E F# G A B C D E - e minor
    G A B C D E F# G - G MAJOR !

made almost all his songs on it like master of puppetz, fade 2 black, call of ktulu ETC
    they even call him e minor boy :p:

10. Dj-babu

Dj-babu New Member

this refers 2 sslayer post ........if i want to play spanish solo's music ,,so i hav 2 choose chords nd tabs within ;<spanish - phrygian dominant scale and to some extent phrygian mode>this scale?????????????

11. faiq gaint

faiq gaint Garibon ka sharuk!!! :p:

whar a strange tum ko scale b nahi aati yane ka u donot know scales, so donot play guitar u :mad:

12. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

well DJ ...

what i have observed is that in spanish/latin music (i dunno about flamenco) ... the chords primarily used are Major chords ...
    suppose i use Phrygian dominant scale which is: forget it ... i dont remember the notes i'll illustrate here in the key of A:

e--------------
    B--------------
    G-----------7-8--
    D------5----7-8--
    A----4-5----7-8-----
    E-------5-6-----------

now all i am asking you to do is to try playing A major chord and this scale over it ... then play A#major chord ... and alternate between A and A# chords ... keep playing this scale ...
    definitely u'll begin to hear the spanish kinda music ...

13. Dj-babu

Dj-babu New Member

got ur point sslayer, thanx man!!, :rock: :rule:

14. Dj-babu

Dj-babu New Member

hey faggaint ,,did u come out wd a guitar and book of scales in da maternity ward?????

15. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

my advice: while sacles are all useful - just play - itll come naturally - spansih music ahs a sound that to some extent is the phrygian and locrian modes, but there are added notes which u will eventually learn as u experimewnt and play.

eg. in sslayers example - u see the 5-6 on the E string? well after that slide to the 11th fret and back slightly quickly andtry stuff like that.. itll all sound good... dont worry and just play on.

16. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

yeah true ...
    and to add on to death ...

(this is what Mr. Marty Friedman has to say - he is a neo-classical blitzkrieg guitarist - was lead guitarist for Megadeth) ...

i dont play any scales ... scales i believe are good for building finger memory and speed ...
    for music ... i get into the chord progression ... and then make my own scale which suits the flavor/progression ...
    and i try to follow each chord rather than getting fixated on the scale key and playing only those damn 5-7 notes ... u have 12 notes all to u ... try to experiment ... listen ... think ... and play ... and have control on what u play ...

no point racing ahead in full speed and realising that u have gone wrong somewhere ... sometimes playing slowly ... even to the point of lingering on a single note sounds awesome ... can make u seem like a throrough professional ... coz u should play what u wanto play ... and not the other way round ...

in live shows sometimes u play wrong ... well there is nothing wrong in music ... some things are dissonant ... but then nowadays dissonance is being used to give a certain flavor to the music ... so the only diff that makes a music "wrong" ... is that it feels as if u didn't mean to play it ...
    so play like u mean to play the notes/progression ...

(not the exact wordings ... but he said something like that ...)

17. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

Is that from the melodic control instructional video??:p:..I have kept that video(as well as one of Zakk wylde's) aside for future reference, when I actually progress to that level of playing:eek::..

18. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

yeah true ...
    :)

fundoo hai that VDO ...