1. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

Hey ppl....SAARANG - the annual culfest of IIT Madras - is taking place from 21st Jan to 26th Jan....ppl in Chennai (and maybe Bangalore) wud definitely have heard of it..lots of ads and posters coming up throughout the city...
    newaz...the point is we have some gr8 professional shows lined up..
    21st...Amaan and Ayaan Ali Bangash
    22nd...Rock Show by Moksha and Orange Street
    25th....Light Music show by KK
    26th....Jazz & Fusion by Prassana , Jeff Coffin, Kai Eckhardt and Derico Watson

Besides, there are lot of events u can take part in....especially ones like 'Powerchord' and 'Decibels' where we get some amazing college and semi-pro bands slugging it out all day in front of live audiences....then there are quizzes, speaking events,dramatics......so u get the picture...SAARANG ROCKS!!

So be there if possible...

For more information log onto www.saarang.org :rock: :beer:

2. bob-bobby

bob-bobby Extinct or Banned!

thread moved to indie rock !!

3. d_ist_urb_ed

d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

Why do such things never occur in hyderabad?.....

4. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

Hey.. cool idea to start a seperate thread for upcoming gigs and stuff.... :beer:

5. Asmodeus

Asmodeus New Member

Man.. I wanna see Orange Street.. I heard they have gone the Pentagram way! Is that true???

6. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

cool guitar prasaana is coming back to iitm..

7. fictional_real

fictional_real Pyaasi Jawani

@disturbed....check out in gigpad, rsj website...there might be some concerts in hyderabad.
    @asmodeus...have u been to IDROCK last year, in andheri?

8. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

Saarang roundup

Well Saarang got over yesterday..heres the roundup(on the music front)

Day 0 - Amaan and Ayaan Ali Bangaash with Uma Shankar on the ghatam.
    Man...what a performance..most ppl come for 'fun' and steer clear of classical
    music..but the concert was quite well received..quite fast paced and not at all boring...great Jugalbandis between the brothers as well as the sarod and the ghatam...

Day 1 - Rock show by Orange Street and Moksha...
    Well..let me honest ..a big let-down....we ran into major sound problems..OS opened...ppl were in the mood for some serious head-banging..not exactly the kind of music OS plays..(thats classical alaaps in the background to some new-age rock/metal..i dunno the genre)..to be fair..it was good stuff..but not what the crowd wanted....then came moksha..maaajor sound problems...bloody sound engineer :mad: ....well imagine a 40 MINUTE DELAY....for a restless..charged up(may I add.. doped and drunk:p:)audience...when they got going though..they made it up with a mix of own comps ,Maiden nos,and also NEM :)..alls well that ends well...

Day 2 and 3 - Decibels and Powerchord..We have our own Woodstock kinda thing..semi-pro bands perform all day and 4 are chosen for the finals....also 1 college band..some seriously talented ppl strutted their stuff and in the end ' Bhoomi', 'Masterplan' ,'Soundsleep' ,'rainbow bridge', and 'Powder in the Ashtray(College band)' made the cut...in a fairytale ending PITA won it jointly with Rainbow Bridge beating the other more experienced finalists..but all the performances were absolutely mind-blowing..be it Masterplan vocalist Nandita's amazing voice or the Bhoomi guitarist Tony performing 'For the love of God' ...awesome talents were on show...

Day 4 and Day 5 - KK and Jazz show
    KK's show was a hugely enjoyable affair..he belted out all his famous film nos as well as Pal, Yaaron and even Summer of '69....:)
    Jazz show.... well not everybody is into jazz and probably thats why it wasnt a sellout ..neways...Prasanna, Jeff Coffin(sax and flutes), Kai eckhardt(Bass) and Derico Watson(Drums) are all virtuosos...unbelievable skill...They performed their album 'Be the Change'(which has been nominated for 16 Grammys)...

Phew!!!!Thats all folks...:)

9. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

its kidna f#cking sad that those doped up bastards are not appreciating good music and just want to head bang. i cant belive prasannas show wasnt sold out. that purely sux. let IITM rot in heavy metal hell.

10. Asmodeus

Asmodeus New Member

Well.. most people who seriously like the music, do go for it... however, the heavy metal / rock shows may also be sell outs due to pure peer pressure or just wanting to get drunk and ****... the real moshers are the one who would actually be enjoying the music and applauding solos, and overall be the actual guys to enjoy... the rest just come up for the booze

11. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

Well...not everybody is seriously into music.....or into all kinds of music for that matter.........u cant have 8000-10000(a sell-out crowd) ppl coming for all the shows man....we play some instrument and can appreciate the kind of hard work and skill required to perform...not everyone understands that...

12. bob-bobby

bob-bobby Extinct or Banned!

i would say majority of the people attending such kind college fests / shows , dun know the music played !!!

they come for the sake of it and this can be really frustrating for the few music lovers ...

13. lord_neo

lord_neo Guest

I have seen people do a bhangra dance in a rock show...just imagine how that would look like!

14. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

I cant believe u think moshers r true fans.

mosh ( P ) Pronunciation Key (msh)
    v. moshed, mosh·ing, mosh·es
    v. intr.
    To knock against others intentionally while dancing at a rock concert; slam-dance.

v. tr.
    To knock against (someone) intentionally while dancing at a rock concert.

I would rather stay away from moshers.. we have a term for such people here in seattle.. we call them losers...

they r usually the doped up or drunk people. I have been to concerts mostly with performing musicians.. we just get a nice seat, sit back and relax the show. nice seat on the left of right of the stage from where u can see some back stage action always works best. pearl jam stopped performing in venues which allows standing audience because a bunch of idiots aka moshers crushed each other and died in a pearl jam show a few years back.

Jay

15. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

cool. that would rock. do bhangra and piss off all the snobs.. who think rock and metal is thier birthright because they speak hinglish with a fake accent.. and drink beer and have lot of black t shirts.

16. Asmodeus

Asmodeus New Member

I've experienced that too...

@ Jay = One can easily tell apart a real metal fan from a poser... the poser's are the ones with the overload of black tees, and the fake accents... the real fans are the ones who would actually mellow down after the gig's over and not go like "Dude, Yeh concert to ekdum Mind-blowing tha... They covered METALLICA for god-sake!!!!"
    The metal fan would be like "Nice gig... enjoyed myself... good music..."