Sa Ri Ga Ma Pa Dha Ni Sa-Tabs

Discussion in 'Carnatic Music of South India' started by Edatharam, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Edatharam

Edatharam New Member

Thank You Guys
    Thanx for contributing to this thread
    nice to see some of u guys gettin interested in carnatic music

Ananth U ROCKS!!!

5*s from me too

2. hs07

hs07 New Member

@ananth, cool stuff ! I've been interested in comparing Carnatic to Western music. I guess the biggest difference is in how many notes fit into a chromatic scale - 22 notes in Carnatic vs. 12 in Western. I was reading that they call it microtones.

John McLaughlin had tried experimenting with the guitar to incorporate microtones.

will keep reading this and other threads, great intro to Indian music.

3. chichu9

chichu9 New Member

Question? 22 notes in carnatic?

I only know about 16 and I think 4 of them are enharmonic equivalents to which brings down the number of actual notes to 12..

Sa-Ri1-(Ri2-Ga1)-(Ri3-Ga2)-Ga3-Ma1-Ma2-Pa-Da1-(Da2-Ni1)-(Da3-Ni2)-Ni3-Sa

Am I missing something?

4. ananth222

ananth222 Beginner

5. hs07

hs07 New Member

I stand corrected, still learning these things !

6. harini

harini Hameer Kalyani

Ananth,
    The song En vittu Thotatil in Gentleman is in Neelambari and not Senjurutti.

7. ananth222

ananth222 Beginner

8. harini

harini Hameer Kalyani

senjuritti and neelambari are actually close. This particular song though is clearly neelambari. Listen to Madhava Mamava in neelambari, and you'll understand.

Although swarams may be similar, the way of handling the ragam counts more. Every Ragam has a Jeevan Pidi(i presume you are familiar with tamil). The phrases used in this song are those of neelambari

9. ananth222

ananth222 Beginner

cool! I stand corrected
    thanx for the info
    I can also see the "S N3 P" avarohanam coming in the interlude

10. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

Jeevan Pidi = strangling death hold that harini has :p: if u argue with her

btw u both r wrong.
    its in hamsaduani :p: well the jala tarangam part.

11. harini

harini Hameer Kalyani

hehehe jay, please stop talking before i strangle you.
    Hamsadhwani does not have a Ma which neelambari has..

Once again, you are wrong

12. harini

harini Hameer Kalyani

Folks, the interlude in the song is in hamsadhwani which Jay did correctly point out. I hate this aspect of film music, they cant keep one ragam. The sol(worded) portion of the song is in neelambari though.

13. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

I am sure u hate navaragamalikas too.

14. harini

harini Hameer Kalyani

No i like ragamalikas coz they have a smooth transition. You sing one raga, maybe the interlude can introduce the next raga and so on.

However, with this song, the main raga is neelambari, they jes threw in hamsadhwani for no apparant reason! Rahman should know better

15. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

have u ever considered that maybe u havent reached that stage in carnatic training.. where u can understand and appreciate such drastic raaga transitions, instead of criticizing AR rahman for composing such a beautiful song?

16. harini

harini Hameer Kalyani

Jay! Drastic Raga transitions are ok, if they are in logical sequence.
    Randomly thumping in ragams is not ok..
    u know my level of carnatic training, wat do u think

17. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

I think u got ways to go before u reach A R rahmans level :). i will quote this wise lady.. "carnatic training needs a lifetime"
    but then i know nothing about carnatic :)

18. harini

harini Hameer Kalyani

its called an opinion jay.
    if youre not mature enough to take it, i will stop posting.

19. chichu9

chichu9 New Member

Time Out! There is no rule that says carnatic music cannot be shred apart to create zesty music by ARR. At that point it just ceases to be carnatic, people still buy it though. The only thing that can inhibit ARR's improvisation is the number of records he's gonna sell. Money matters!

Personally I like specific film songs, specific carnatic renditions and specific hiphop grooves. Music is what it is -- music. But then, thats just my opinion. :)

20. harini

harini Hameer Kalyani

Your talking to a carnatic lover and telling her that carnatic music being "shred apart" is ok. You have your opinion and I have mine. Rahman wants to please the masses which is fine for him. I have all the right to say that I do not like what he did in that particular song tho. Although it does not sound jarringly different, i am not keen towards making a mixture of things.