RPC Patch for Windows XP

Discussion in 'Computer Forum' started by Quadrophenia, Apr 26, 2005.

1. Quadrophenia

Quadrophenia Member

hey there.. guys ive just changed my windows version to XP and its got that stupid remote protocol crap!! message and it keeps rebooting my pc. :cen: :mad: :mad: :cen:
    i keep typing in shutdown -a and its all cool for temporary stuf..but i need some kinda patch.ive been to microsofts website and downloaded a couple..but its not done me any good. could some one please please give me a link to a correct download patch? :nw:
    :annoyed:

2. nik_bokacheley

nik_bokacheley :help: I'm a mad :sadbye:

I encountered the problem a hell lotta many times.. It can be due to a worm called the sasser.. You get some sasser patches if you serch wid google.. Bt I dont think they are of much use..

Another problem can be some kind of stop error in XP. You better search the net ofr STOP errors.. I've the problem of STOP ERROR in XP.. And that is why i can't even install my XP now. Everytime I try installing XP the system reboots.. SO win 98 zindabad for the time being..

3. Quadrophenia

Quadrophenia Member

ive tried sasser removal to its not working..
    some one please help this is really annoying..:((

4. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

Google for 'RPC DCOM vulnerability patch for Windows XP',..I dwnloaded a patch for it about 7-8 months back.....but your best bet is installing Service pack 2 , it takes care of every vulnerability..

5. rabi_sultan

rabi_sultan <Bulla Ki Jana>

theres a free program called Stinger use that

https://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

also when you get the Shutdown window quickly do this:

Click Start
    Then Run
    then type "cmd"
    and then (i'm going from memory so it might be wrong :D) type in "shutdown -a"

the -a flag aborts the shutdown

6. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

shutdown -a does stop the shutdown... but due to RPC services stopping u cant do a lot of stuff eg u wont be able to play media files and so on...upgrade to SP2 and all these problems will stop bothering u..

7. rabi_sultan

yes but "shutdown -a" will let you stop the shutdown continue the stinger download and even let you run stinger to get rid of the sasser worm.

and EVEN IF YOU WANT to upgrade to SP2 via download you still have to turn that RPC warning off anywy so again you need to use "shutdown -a"

8. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

ohh..for me it wasnt that bad..the shutdown message popped up about once or twice in a day...guess the virus was there on my LAN or sumthing..

9. Quadrophenia

Quadrophenia Member

okay thanx u guys.i'm download sp2. and its something like 266 mb.not a big prob...i just hope i'm downloading the right one..can anyone confirm this?

10. zoomingrocket

zoomingrocket TeChNiCaL AdMiNiStRaToR

I had wrote this classic guide sometime back in 2004 when i faced Blaster & Sasser.. This guide uproots both Blaster & Sasser from your computer forever!

I hope this again helps a needy one to root out that VIRUS!
    Best of luck!
    Links are checked and all are still UP & Running! So you can download everything directly by pasting in an download manager!

REgards,
    Zooom..!!

11. Quadrophenia

Quadrophenia Member

hey thats great man thanx !!!

12. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

Ya..all that or just install SP2...i think u have the correct version(266 MB)..after installation it will save ur old settings in a folder of around 380 MB size so make sure u have enuf space..after installation if ur system has no problems and u dont wanna revert to old config then u can delete that folder...(i think it was called$NTUninstall or sumthing)..its a hidden folder..

13. nik_bokacheley

nik_bokacheley :help: I'm a mad :sadbye:

I am sad coz my system cann't install WIN XP coz there's some STOP ERROR or so.. Only way out is find a computer shop to dump my computer in.. I am working with win98se for the last 1 month..:((

14. rabi_sultan

if you do as i (or zoom) say then there is no need to update to any crap microsoft send out