Rock is Dead.......

Discussion in 'Music Talk' started by JAZZ, Sep 28, 2005.

1. JAZZ

JAZZ New Member

do u think , ROCK is Dead ??....Rock musik ruled the era
    1960s to 1990`s......
    remember the greatest bands of 70`s n 80`s classic rock......
    Led Zeppelin , ac/dc, Pink floyd, Metallica , iron maiden , G n R ,U2, Nirvana, Beatles, Van halen,Sabbath,Megadeth, Dire straits .....they r still ruling :rule:

but now rock is almost dead...Alt,Punk,Hip hop,Rap ,dance musik has dominated it now.. :eek::
    although ther r many Good bands now like Audioslave,foo fighters,LP, coldplay,
    Velvet revolvers.......
    but wait , they hav even No chance of coming upto level of 70,80`s bands
    they simply cant even compete them...n Modern rock musik sux.

wut do u think ? speak out .

2. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

I don't think that Rock is the greatest genre.

3. jekyll

jekyll Banned

Rock Music suxxx ...

it is being dominated by losers and drug addicts ... and people having no qualms about doing anything wrong (or right)
    b.t.w. same goes for rap and hip-hop music ...

4. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

The world is full of people like that...why point out only one genre?

5. hate_eternal

hate_eternal Banned

I would say rock is not dead but evolving. There have been a lot of experimentation and added influences from other genres namely hip/hop and similar stuff. Also since every new band is coming out with a different style new genres are being created which makes it difficult to classify each and every band.
    We cant blame modern rock for anything, there are some bands, modern rock bands, who play good music. Moreover the new sound is appreciated by people all over so obviously the upcoming bands are expected to try some of the new stuff out there.

6. jekyll

jekyll Banned

coz rock harbours majority of those ppl ...
    not other genres ...
    definitly not classical n baroque genres ... :p:
    and a few in the mainstream pop genre
    very few in indi pop genre double :p:

temme if i am wrong
    the whole grunge music is based on misery frustration wasted lives etc ...

7. rocking_devil

rocking_devil Banned

i personally doubt that classic rock is dead!.....there are many bands even these days who play nice classic rock stuff n try n keep the alive!...........!!!

8. Gravity_defies

Gravity_defies New Member

rock is not completely wiped out....u yet hear bands playin n stuff.....

9. shak

shak Harrr!

the rock is still chuggin along .. but .. umm ... not as it used be back in 80's and 90's ..i liked that era much much better

10. Nanda

Nanda Bassist

Hey Recently SANDEEP CHOWTA was in Bangalore (His Native ..) ..
    After a rock show he was called on stage to speak a few words ...

Guess what he said ... I've been in bangalore and toured the world ... I've seen POP, come and go, Ive seen RAP, come and go , Ive seen TRANCE, come and go, Ive seen DISCO, come and go I've seen HIP-HOP come ...

BUT ROCK Is THE ONLY THING THAT WAS THERE AND IS STILL THERE AND ONE WHICH WONT GO .......

(This chap said he knows Vai, Stach and few other greats personally !!!!!)

11. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

Why do you even expect rock music to retain the sound it did in the 70's/80s/90s?

Music has always been an expression of art which has reflected current political and social trends (blues came up during the slave era, jazz during the industrial period, rock during the hippy era, hip-hop during the empowerment) so it is quite natural that our music will reflect current trends and not what happened 50 years ago. Of course, we are lucky enough to have the music recorded but it is stupid to expect an era to stop progressing just because we have not the will to move on.

Amongst modern rock players, Scott Henderson is one of my favourites...check him out sometime.

12. JAZZ

JAZZ New Member

modern rock sux.......wher r the guiataring standards like Jimmy page , hendrix,van halen , slash...
    i the classic era ,when ther was long guitar solos ....modern rock dont hav a trend of guitar solos....check the top 100 guitar solo list wher almost all the songs are from 60-90`s
    wher r the drummers like jhon bonham, ulrich . classical era still rules the heart of rockers

13. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

@bjr--scott henderson is awesome..
    do u have tribal techs stuff with ya?

14. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

er....they are still there, trust me. Only not nearly as famous as before since the new era has been grossly unfair to them.

@dharmata: no, I first heard 'em at a friends place who, typically, did not have a CD writer. I'm now downloading his stuff off the net as we speak....but his stuff is always queued on P2P networks :mad:

I first heard of him from my guitar teacher....I think he used to play with Chick Corea(another tower of the slightly modern style)

15. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

ahh..dude..he has played with so many great musicians..

his band tribal tech is insane..

he has collaborated with vicotor wooten and guys like steve smith too.

i have his jazz-fusion improvisation instructional video..its awesome.
    he is a great blues player too...

one of my friend is a scott henderson fanatic..and he even has started talkin and playin like henderson now..heh.

16. shsnawada

shsnawada Cyborgs & Pasta

That means they just copy. Or mix the style of multiple bands.

17. rocking_devil

rocking_devil Banned

all things are supposed to change someday......but there is always something of it still lurking somehwere!.......who knows.....20 yrs from now people like us may consider limb bizkit n linkpark as classic heavy metal!:mad:

18. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

do you think people whogrew up on beatles and rolling stomes instantly approved of kiss and led zeppelin
    people still dont approve of pink floyd
    rock music is like good wine
    it gets better as it gets old
    so lets wait and see what becomes a classic

19. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

I disagree. How many of us listen to the Duke Ellingtons of the 20's or the Frank Sinatras or Stan Getz(who wrote one of the most famous Bossa Nova song of all time).

And people who do not approve of Floyd by now probably never will.

20. rocking_devil

rocking_devil Banned

are we talking abt rock or 20's and 1000 bc?