Rig updated bitches!!

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by unet, Jul 4, 2009.

1. thepacifist2013

thepacifist2013 V.I.P Member

Yep. However, it's the hardness of the wood which affects the tone more. For e.g. Maple, which is a close-grained very "tight" and hard wood, produces a very crispy upper range and balanced mids, but lacks in the low end. You'll probably not find many guitars with maple body. It's mostly used for fretboards and as a topwood (e.g. Les Paul).

If you want to know how different woods affect the "3" bands, and how they can be combined to balance each other out, read

https://www.ballurio.com/BG/BGCShopOnBodies.shtml

2. thepacifist2013

That reminds me, I was thinking of getting a strat kit. A Warmoth q-sawn maple neck with a Pau-Ferro or Kingwood fretboard. Swamp ash body - The ash obtained from different parts of the tree sounds different too. In the swamps, the wood obtained from the part under the swamp, is softer. True hard ash is obtained from the top of those trees.

Ash would need mild sanding and sealing. Then maybe a very light stain of Amber (to pop the contours). Nitrocellulose, put 3-4 thin coats of lacquer (aniline-) dyed with AMberish and put aburst finish with black dyed lacquer. Then around 12-13 coats of clear to get that "mile-deep finish".

3. flood

flood New Member

go with warmoth. you'd better have a zero-dust working area and the patience of a thousand men if you plan to nitro that yourself, though. i'd just buy a pre-painted body if i were you, working conditions here aren't too great.

4. thepacifist2013

Patience wise I'm set. The real issue is with the working conditions. I don't want to end up with sparkle-finishes, sparkle being the dust. A pre-painted body would be an excellent option.

One of the many things I have decided I'll do..........someday.