Review of Kings Of Leon- Only By The Night

Discussion in 'Music Reviews, Albums, Biography etc' started by slayersid18, Sep 22, 2009.

1. slayersid18

slayersid18 New Member

Review of Kings Of Leon- Only By The Night

1: Closer 3:59
    The opening track is marvelous, the looped effect carves itself into your mind and makes way for the ambience-oriented rush that the song is. When the name Kings Of Leon came first to me as this Grammy winning alternative band, I got this as their first single and I must tell you I'm impressed. I even got a copy of their poster from an NME magazine collection that I proudly own. This was their stunning first impression, both reality and album-wise.

Verdict: 5/5. I love it.

2: Crawl 4:08
    The album progresses into this fuzzy crunching guitar that sounds like a torn cone speaker of some classic Marshall amp. I love the way they focus the song on the guitar riff, very akin to a Led Zeppelin-esque song. The guitar solo that follows is brilliant, sticks to the point and doesn’t meander like an unwanted stray dog. Btw, they remind me strongly of Led Zep, but on a rethink they’re awesomely original.

Verdict: 4/5

3: *** On Fire 3:25
    The award winning track off the album, this one is not just promising, it delivers. With beautiful ambience and that cool, original, alternative yet nostalgic 70’s guitar fuels this song. It doesn’t need to sound that heavy, it is aesthetically pleasing and the kind of track you would hear when you’re having that cold whisky in a bar, chilling out playing pool with friends.

Verdict: 5/5

4: Use Somebody 3:53
    This song has a catchy choral chant that makes it a winner amongst those now-extinct arena rock bands. The mellow verse stands naked with only the beats and the smooth basslines, then kicking into the trippy chorus with more chants. They have gone and done a quad-whammy. Extraordinary.

Verdict: 5/5

5: Manhattan 3:26
    This is a more funky, popsy song with nice reverb on the guitar. I must salute these guys for making a truly original sound. The song is pleasant, and adds value on the album.

Verdict: 3 ½ /5

6: Revelry 3:23
    The vocals start really warm and heartfelt, with that constant throaty-ness in his voice. The chorus is gorgeous, and I’m beginning to love their bassist. What a slick son-of-a-gun man…Its smooth. 3 minutes worth the time.

Verdict: 4/5

7: 17 3:09
    This song uses a rather unusual style with starting chorus, silences, then a loosely running verse, and back to the chorus and silences. Truly alternative at heart, with snazzy lyrics and poetry and even church bells ringing in the background. The guitar picking is great, all super-flurry.

Verdict: 3/5

8: Notion 3:03
    More well composed melodies follow with this simple sounding song. Enjoyable. Hear the wailing guitars on this one, its unlike any other I’ve ever heard.

9: I Want You 5:06
    Now their experimentalism with ambient sounds really surfaces. This breaks most traditional song styles, has a drum that sounds like some kind of empty tin can. Really arty rock down here.

10: Be Somebody 3:49
    This starts with a primal, thumping beat and some gritty sounding guitar work. It is not very great though, but holds its place on the album. Its after all their work, and it means something for its on this album.

11: Cold Desert 5:34
    This is the kinda song that would bring you memories, feelings, even smells and sounds from some experience you’ve had. It is impressive, and has a mysterious charm to it. I feel like the song would be the sorta thing that would play in the background of a movie about my daily life. It closes the album well, and I find it well fitting.

This album is epic. You gotta go buy this thing. If you’ve never heard alternative much before, this is the time to try it. If you avoid alternative just because you prefer one genre, f**k off. And all you Zep, Floyd and other oldies fans must check this out for this is the strongest original material I’ve seen that recreates their effect, only with much novelty. This has to be the the most definitive album of the last 5-6 years in rock. It is dripping with artistry, creativity and pure awesomeness. They sound like veterans. Stand up and salute. That poster is coming up my wall soon.\m/

Final Verdict: 5/5. This deserves it. It has to be 7/5 rather, for I find it that great a record. GO LISTEN TO IT RIGHT NOW!!!!

2. slayersid18

slayersid18 New Member

wat yaar mods even ban the word $3x...that isnt even offensive..../boo\

3. slayersid18

slayersid18 New Member

aarey yaar....am i the only one who has heard anything off this album??plz post comments...its hard to even get bad comments now wat d hell happened to bjr,elfascinating, augur and the lot? ;) they used to post some really wicked stuff like some kind of Australian sledge-machine..hehehe

4. needless

needless New Member

nice review man. i like it that you reviewed each song. when i first heard kings of leon i didnt like them but slowly after listenin to the songs a few times i started to like them. the band rocks!

my favorite song is number 3.

5. slayersid18

slayersid18 New Member

hehehehe. Looks like everyone's scared of saying the word "$3x" even the mods banned it here.... :p