RESERVATIONS IN ACADEMIC INSTITUTES :: r they fair ???

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by abhimanjrekar, Apr 6, 2006.

1. abhimanjrekar

abhimanjrekar ----> Zhol-Man<----

i think today some 50 % reservations have been allooted in IIM and IIT and other institutes in india......but i think this is unfair on the part of the general category students.........they l be sufferin big times now......wht do u think ??

2. shsnawada

shsnawada Cyborgs & Pasta

Isnt this political? (it involves a life, so its not permitted in igt)

Oh, am i spamming?

Ok, to the topic: Well, they win votes and public support so why not? That matters more than anything else. I do mean EVERYTHING else.

3. Ankur_Scorpio

Ankur_Scorpio New Member

Why do u think country is still not functioning at its full potential....

its the guys at policy making level choosing butt over head when it comes to thinking.....

4. vivo_b

vivo_b The Brave

shs says it exactly right.....if you want to get rid of reservation, go into politics, ask every non-reservation-person to go and vote for what they want!!! Now here's my explaination of why this exists....if you're PC dont bother reading ahead!!!

As they were called before - the untouchables - are now more or less the ruling class. Their untouchableness led to a lack of education for their entire population which then bred amongst themselves (I do not mean incest but more of a eugenics kind of thing) and their children were also denied education. After independence this sect of people has realised the importance of voting, and the politicians have realised the importance of this voting bloc. So although reservation may seem unfair to the non-reservation people it is actually something they deserve.
    The counterpoint is how long will they need spoonfeeding? Well that really depends on how long the non-reservation people ignore elections. Also, we should probably be pushing for a background check before allowing these reservations. People I know have lots of money, are well educated, maybe have only an eight of reservation-people genes but are still allowed in these quotas. This is what the fight shud be against.

5. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

In academic institutions, perhaps, it is best that they do have reservations at least until graduation....but beyond that, it should be an open playing field.

6. the_wizard

the_wizard Omega == God

nope...never were

7. vivo_b

vivo_b The Brave

bjr: I was not aware of reservations in the job market. Is this true? I dont think that is fair either because the govt should not dictate who gets jobs. That should always be the private sector, public education is dictated by the govt so its the voters in the end making the difference.

8. g0g0l

g0g0l ! SpAm

Sometimes, they are fair! When a seat is reserved for a handicapped student or some students from very backward cast(Most of the times they do not even get the chance study!) or very poor student, that is fair enough! But when this is not the case (Some times, a student may belong to backward class, but he or she has the money to spend), these quotas are absolutely unfair and I think they should be termed illegal....

9. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

https://www.deccanherald.com/deccanherald/dec152004/top.asp

10. vini

vini Repeat Offender

No..its certianly not fair.. i would just second reservations for physically impaired..thats it!

remember the havoc created by mandal commission when vp singh was acting PM..i hope this doesnt ignite another chaos..hmmph

11. vivo_b

vivo_b The Brave

thanks bjr....shocking....but thanks anyways!

12. ats

ats Oldie

The reservation should be based on economic conditions of the student, not the caste of the student, are we living in the 19th century or what?
    IITs, IIMs already have a concept of MCM (Merit cum Means) scholarship.

To say that this move is politically motivated .. would be an understatement.

What these political leaders don't realise that by spoonfeeding the backward castes, harm is being caused to these backward caste students only. Always treated like a second grade student in school, always suffering from inferiority complex, never able to come out of that shell which surrounds them, the stamp which has been put on them. By such policies the government is only widening the caste divide, instead of bridging it.

Many students do need support, students whose families are in dire straits with respect to finances. We read about such students almost every once in a while. These students are not neccesarily of a backward caste. With respect to some states, it is true that some of the most poor peole belong to these backward castes, and they do need help, but not based on the history of their ancestors --- but based on their present state.

13. jamhead

jamhead Unknown Legend

i blame sonia gandhi and the Opus Dei for this.

she is ruining the country in more ways than you can imagine.

14. dlogic

dlogic Zuitarist

i dont think there should be any reservation for any one...its like giving money to a begger and helping him stay as a begger

15. sanju_strings

sanju_strings 50 Pai$e <3V/S<3 50 CeNt$

how bout a guy with 70 % marks bcumin a doctor or engineer to screw things in future ,n poor a guy with 90% marks ending up in sum unintresting feild :mad:

no no no its not fair its not right

but m 23 now till now i cudnt do anythin bout it nor wud i ll b able to do anything :mad:

16. anshphenomenon

anshphenomenon Rape me :boff:

not at all fair....

17. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

Reservation should never be at the cost of losing students having real merit...
    I am all for full financial support to deserving candidates who are not so well-off, and there are many cases like that irrespective of caste... But outright reservation with very relaxed criteria of selection is just going to ruin the quality of these institutions..
    Why 49% in IIT and IIM?.these places are what they are bcoz you cant get in there on the basis of money or political power...I have known some professor's children who couldnt get in through the JEE....the curent system with a small reservation percent, with seperate preparatory courses and exam rankings is good enough...
    If a recruiter finds an IIT/IIM guy below par, he is not going to take him just bcoz of the IIT/IIM brand name... infact that brand value will decline rapidly due to lack of quality students....

18. vivo_b

vivo_b The Brave

Here's the logic behind it.....it may seem unfair but its like a repayment for decades/centuries of mistreatment.....they have the same thing going on here in america and its called affirmative action. When a group of people are bred over centuries to be dumb, things change in their gene code, its called eugenics. That what happened to african americans and the same with bc people.
    And if so many of you think its soooo unfair why dont you do something about it instead of sitting here and posting threads!!!! VOTE!!!

1 person likes this.
  19. light_of_erindi

light_of_erindi New Member

Quota of any kind anywhere;esp in education is always bullshit....if u ain't got it u gonna get nowhere....u might get thru the education system...which also rarely happens....but when it comes to performing on job in real life situations...u gonna get it..:)....I (and i'm sure many other engineering guys) have seen so many people who get in top grade colleges on the basis of reservation and drop out within 2 years...they just can't take it...because they didn't have what it takes to be an engineer in the first place.

Those who don't, usually follow malpractises to pass exams...but when it comes to recruitment...they fall flat on the face.....I have seen just too many of these people so i don't have any sympathy for them.

20. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Being from IIT, I can tell you one thing:

The only students who make into IITs are those whose parents have already used the reservation policiy to fullest extent.

1. One's father was Deputy Commisioner in IRS (Indian Revenus Service - Income Tax, excise etc)
    2. One's father was CMO-Vet for BSF
    3. One's father was DGM in BHEL
    4. The list can go on

Corollary: Only those students whose families are well established, make use of this reservation policies.