Request to Post the Chords in Common Language

Discussion in 'Tamil Guitar Tabs - Submit or Request' started by vs.suresh, May 15, 2023.

1. vs.suresh

vs.suresh Active Member

Hello Rajesh / Vijay / John / Ashok / Active members,

I've noticed that you've been posting the chords with lyrics in Tamil, which is great for reaching our local audience, but I was wondering if you would be willing to also post them in English.

As you know, English is a widely spoken language, and having your posts available in both languages could help reach a larger global audience. I believe you contents deserves to be shared with as many people as possible.

Of course, I understand that it's ultimately up to you to decide how you want to share your work, and I respect that.

I'd be happy to help with any translation or editing if needed.

2. abygailann

abygailann Well-Known Member

Hi Suresh ji,
    As for me, I am quite familiar with both languages since I have been used to romanized versions for many years. It is true some of them don't know to read and write in Tamil. So it would be good also if post in both languages or whicever is convenient for those who are posting...Tq ..

John

vs.suresh and guitarvijay like this.
  3. guitarvijay

guitarvijay Well-Known Member

Hi Suresh,
    Many months ago, Legend and myself were posting chords in Tamil and English as well for few posts.
    But somehow, this process was dropped.

I exactly know and totally understand the rationale behind this request from you.

I am more than happy to reinstate this process and I can gladly post my chords in Thamizh as well as in English Lyrics.
    I usually transcribe using Thamizh lyrics as it is easier to insert the chords.
    It only takes extra few minutes to copy-paste the chords in English Lyrics and I can gladly do it.

My only worry is - As my version is not precise, when our Legend tweaks it (which I totally love), it might give him more work to amend in 2 versions as he is already putting selfless effort to validate our versions (from John, Ashok, Suresh (@yesbee) and myself).
    As long as our Legend will not be overloaded, I am more than happy to post in both Thamizh and English Lyrics.

I totally agree with Ravi. As Thamizh being my primary language, for me personally, it is a lot easier to read Thamizh lyrics compared to English lyrics from the perspective of Chord Progression as we seamlessly go with the flow!

Kind regards,
    Vijay

vs.suresh and abygailann like this.
  4. abygailann

Yes true what you say VJ...

vs.suresh and guitarvijay like this.
  5. roentgen

roentgen Well-Known Member

I'm quite familiar with both languages too but I agree with your point Suresh in that English will certainly help reach a wider audience. It would take a little more time posting in 2 languages but would be worth the effort.

6. ashok_15189

ashok_15189 Member

Yes, you are right Rajesh,
    I agree with you,
    I'm too familiar with both languages when transcribing a song into chord classic progression format will be more comfortable than writing chords over lyrics will make little effort and occupying more and more space than classic format ,that's why musician not used lyrics mostly in their notes,singers and solo performers might used for chorded lyrics , our legends like Kishmu, and Rajesh used the classic chord progression format a few years ago, it is really a common language and it's basically between player and song relationship at performance and this format really helped other players can able to read and follow that but now the transcribed songs are used for karaoke and for solo, so the others not gained at this time, so we have to bring something like template format as common to transcribing, so others also can able to utilize this site as platform to gain their music knowledge and they can able to share their ideas as well, I know its really hard to follow at beginning, once familiar on this, and we can travel along with them and I appreciate all comments for this post

Ashok

7. guitarvijay

I completely agree with Ashok that providing the Chords in the Classic format like how Kishmu does is easy as it is applicable for both Charanams (if they are identical, as some songs have different Charanam tunes).

But from a consumer perspective, I see 2 issues in Classic Format:
    Issue #1: The format does not contain Lyrics. It is very challenging to remember the lyrics of the songs by heart as we hear a lot of songs every day/week/month. So, I have to open Lyrics separately and Classic Chords Format separately merge them mentally and then play the chords.

Issue #2: As the placements are very tricky, in particular for Maestro's songs, it is hard to paste them in Kishmu's format.
    It is also very hard to play them as even a small mistake in the placement of the chord in the wrong letter of a word, would sound way-off.

There are 2 examples below:

Example#1: In the below lines that our Legend recently validated for "Kaathirukken Kadhava Thirandhu" song:

(G6) காத்திருக்கேன் (Em)கதவ திறந்து
    (Am7) உள்ளுக்கு வாடி(G6)
    காதல் செய்ய (Em)கத்துக் கொடுப்பேன்
    (Am7) முன்னுக்கு வாடி(Em)

If I write the above lines in Kishmu's format, I would not know that G6 and Em at the end of 2nd and 4th lines respectively, has to be played only after the end of the word.

Example#2: In the below lines that our Legend recently validated for "Neelakuyile Solaikuyile" song:

(G#m) நீல (F#)குயி(G#m)லே... சோலை (F#)குயி(G#m)லே...
    பாடி (F#)பறக்(G#m)கும்… என்...

நீ... (F#) ஆதா(B)ரம்...(F#7)ம்... (G#m)ம்...

If I write the above lines in Kishmu's format, honestly, I would not know where exactly the chord changes are, in the chord progression.

And it is very likely that without the Lyrics, some of us would play the chords in incorrect placements and would be scratching our head to identify the correct placements when we realize that it does not sound right in chord progression.

In my honest opinion, both formats have their own Pros and Cons.

But I prefer the format that we currently follow from our Legend as it is easy to identify the chord placements, as well as it has the lyrics and chords in the same page.

It is a lot easier for me to - pickup my Guitar straightaway, identify the strumming pattern and start playing the chords and enjoy the feel!

Kind regards,
    Vijay

abygailann and tripravi like this.
  8. tripravi

tripravi Well-Known Member

Agreed

9. vs.suresh

vs.suresh Active Member

Hi Vijay,
    I don't agree with your comments. It all depends on how we interpret the chords in the measure.
    I've followed your example and formatted the chords in a classical style.
    Song: Kaathirukken Kadhava Thirandhu
    Time: 4/4

(G6) காத்திருக்கேன் (Em)கதவ திறந்து
    (Am7) உள்ளுக்கு வாடி(G6)
    காதல் செய்ய (Em)கத்துக் கொடுப்பேன்
    (Am7) முன்னுக்கு வாடி(Em)

Kaathirukken | G6 | Em | Am7 | G6 |
    Kadhal Seiyya | G6 | Em | Am7 | Em |

Song: Neelakuyile Solaikuyile
    Time: 3/4

பாட்டு... குயிலே x2

Neela Kuyile | G#m F# G#m | - | G#m F# G#m | - |
    Paadi Parakkum | G#m F# G#m | - | G#m | - |

(G#m) பாடி... பார்க்கலாம்...
    புது... (F#) தேவாரம்...
    (G#m) பாடும்... பாட்டிலே...

Paadi paarkkalam | G#m | % | F# | % |
    Paadum Paatile | G#m | % | F# B | F#7 G#m |

guitarvijay, ashok_15189 and roentgen like this.
  10. abygailann

Both formats are likely depend on the person who plays. Frankly speaking for a singer it will be better version as VJ said since there will be lyrics as well and the placemens of the chords much accurate..The classic format would be suitable for musicians who don't sing while playing. Nevertheless there are exceptions for some who are really genius in music which they can do without looking at the chords and lyrics during performances.....

John..

guitarvijay likes this.
  11. roentgen

Agree with Suresh. By and large this format is best once you get to know it. You basically need to figure out where a bar starts and ends. 'Neela kuyile' song's pallavi chord placement is actually a bit more tricky in the bar format. The melody starts off-beat and F# chord is not a full half bar but only the last 1/3rd of the bar. To represent this, the bar needs splitting into 3 or even 6 sub-bars (for 3/4 or 6/8 time sig) to be more accurate in placement. Most songs have such variations which can be represented in bar formats accurately but can be more time consuming.
    As Ashok said earlier, there's no other way to do preludes and interludes and like Vijay says, both have their pros and cons. I'll try posting in 2 languages and bar format from now on.
    I would encourage everyone to try and understand the bar format.

This is how I see the 'Neela Kuyile' bits posted above.

பாட்டு... குயிலே x2

Neela Kuyile | G#m . F# | G#m . . | G#m F# | G#m . . |
    Paadi Parakkum | G#m . F# | G#m | % | % |

This part is more straighforward though but the the bast bar is a full F#7. This is the advantage of bar format

(G#m) பாடி... பார்க்கலாம்...
    புது... (F#) தேவாரம்...
    (G#m) பாடும்... பாட்டிலே...

Paadi paarkkalam | G#m | % | F# | % |
    Paadum Paatile | G#m | % | F# | B F#7 |

Rajesh

12. ashok_15189

ashok_15189 Member

Guys,
    Interesting Discussion,
    I like @roentgen suggestions, but 2 languages and bar format will be a challenging task in a single shot :D,
    @guitarvijay I really sorry about my comment in your reply that I think you misunderstand,
    actually, @vs.suresh started this thread to notify all experts needed to bring up their transcription in a common language, there is no intention in a specific language or version
    all transcribed songs need to reach all people, here the audience is not music listeners, all about music experts(any instrument)

as you can see these lines

பாட்டு... குயிலே x2

Neela Kuyile | G#m . F# | G#m . . | G#m F# | G#m . . |
    Paadi Parakkum | G#m . F# | G#m | % | % |

how the main chords travel in the song as well as arpeggios(highlighted dot in red) may be also along with that,
    bass, guitar, and piano will play these chords but flute has a main role in arpeggios, others may also do arpeggios but not sounds good, note here beat is the distance to run the chords and the beat is configured by signatures either 4/4 or 3/4 or 6/8, so the bar format will run till the last beat of the song
    but chorded lyrics are not played till the last beat of the song,
    mixing the chords and lyrics will fulfill the karaoke and solo, but we have to collab all instruments on a song at the same time would be grateful to the audience
    Suresh also looking for the same to reach larger global audience

Regards,
    Ashok Ravi.

guitarvijay and roentgen like this.
  13. guitarvijay

Hi Suresh,
    Although I partially agree with you for Issue #2, Issue #1 is still unresolved.
    If I sing and play the chords (which some of us in this Forum do like Ravi, John and myself), it is challenging to interpret the Time Signature and understand precise gaps between chords in the chord progression without lyrics.

As this Forum is open for all (Beginners to Advanced players regardless of the Instrument), providing the chords in English and Thamizh Lyrics is straight-forward and easy for all.

On the other hand, if I am a beginner, if the chords are provided in Classic Format, it will take a lot of time for me to understand and then play it.

Also, as contributors, it would now add significant extra effort to provide in Classic Format as well (which I am not an expert at all) alongside English and Thamizh Lyrics. Even if I try to provide it, I will certainly flunk!!!

Kind regards,
    Vijay

14. guitarvijay

Agree with you as well Rajesh but from a viewers perspective who has basic chords knowledge, the person has to invest time and effort to understand the Bars to even play the 1st line of Pallavi let alone the whole song including Prelude and the Interludes.
    It should be something easy for all who just turn on their Keyboard or pick-up their Guitar and play the chords straightaway.

Kind regards,
    Vijay

Last edited: May 17, 2023
  15. guitarvijay

Hi Ashok,

Very interesting discussion indeed :). I did not misunderstand at all! :D

If the objective is to reach wider audience, shouldn't it be in a simple format which everyone can understand straightway and play the chords.
    If we provide the Classic Format, a beginner (who has been learning chords for only a few months) might struggle to interpret the Chord progression.
    If we provide the same with Lyrics, he might play it immediately.

If the target audience is Advanced Player or someone who plays in Orchestra, Classic Format is best to play the song end-to-end as you said in the previous post.
    I play a lot on weekends in social gathering and we don't even bother about the Preludes or Interludes and the singers are not even Bathroom singers (and in particular, all are IR fans and I play only IR songs :D).

Yet, when I play just the Pallavi and only 1 Charanam of the song, we all enjoy it a lot and they ask me to play more songs which I passionately do. So we all have effortless entertainment together for 2-3 hours easily.

So, it really depends on the Target Audience in my opinion.

Kind regards,
    Vijay

16. tripravi

tripravi Well-Known Member

The wider audience point, possibly not more than a dozen are active.

guitarvijay likes this.
  17. roentgen

I think it was actually me who started posting chords this simple way, back in 2009 (link). I was a novice then and had only a rudimentary understanding of chords, bars, scale, time signature etc. For better or worse, this kinda stuck. It's still the easiest way to post and probably best to continue in the current style as most members are just learners, hobbyists and generally are not professionals. I however will try and post in all formats particularly for songs with amazing interludes. It would be a pity not to transcribe them.

Rajesh.

18. guitarvijay

Probably that is within IGT - Tamil Forum Ravi.
    But there are wider audience outside IGT :)

19. guitarvijay

Hi Rajesh,
    It does not matter who started when.
    This format is simple, easy to understand and benefits many of us.

As I am very weak in transforming into Classic Format anyway, I will post my version in Thamizh and English Lyrics.

And yes!!! It is indeed a pity / shame to miss the Preludes, Interludes and Outros as well. So, I am very much looking forward to it from you :D

Kind regards,
    Vijay

ashok_15189 likes this.
  20. ashok_15189

ashok_15189 Member

Hmm,
    I think this site is not only for the enjoyment of those who play and forget when a new song is posted, but it also is a platform to explore ideas and is widely used for sharing their knowledge and who had experience at the master or professional level and I’m not sure even the film industry professionals may use this for their reference, every post is not just seen and play and every knowledge is gain by their effort and we always welcome to appreciate every single note change to make better quality to shape the song and communication is the bridge for all music people , the base of communication is the transcribing a song or music that should not depend on region language, so I and Rajesh intend to prefer Bar Format,

Regards,
    Ashok

guitarvijay likes this.